Help needed on Wild Cards Audiobooks.

RedShirt47

Hi,

As a visually impaired person I rely on audiobooks and have enjoyed those based in Westeros and the first seven Wild Card books. I liked the different readers for the different stories (wonder if this would work for ASOIAF but that's a different topic for another day).

My question is how likely will there be a book 8? I can see that there is an audiobook for book 23 onwards but I am reluctant to skip 15 books of a series. Surely a lot has happened in the world throughout those books.

Second question is should I just go ahead and start on book 23? I imagine that it's the start of a new storyline and (with a little background) I could enjoy it in its own right.

Thanks.

It's true that a lot happens in the Wild Cards universe, but I always feel that anybody who has read the first three books can easily jump in at the start of any new storyline. 

On 5/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, RedShirt47 said:

Hi,

As a visually impaired person I rely on audiobooks and have enjoyed those based in Westeros and the first seven Wild Card books. I liked the different readers for the different stories (wonder if this would work for ASOIAF but that's a different topic for another day).

My question is how likely will there be a book 8? I can see that there is an audiobook for book 23 onwards but I am reluctant to skip 15 books of a series. Surely a lot has happened in the world throughout those books.

Second question is should I just go ahead and start on book 23? I imagine that it's the start of a new storyline and (with a little background) I could enjoy it in its own right.

Thanks.

The books originally didn't have audiobooks produced for them, so none were made until the current round of reprints, which are so far only up to Book 8. When Book 9 is reprinted, it should have an audiobook for it and then Book 10 and so on.

What I'm a bit puzzled about is why they waited until Book 23. The current generation of Wild Cards really began with Book 18 in 2008, which was recent enough for audiobooks to be a thing, so I'm not sure why they didn't produce one for 18 through 22.

It does feel like Wild Cards has suffered from not having a big enough push from a publisher who has the confidence just to get the whole lot out there in one massive push through omnibus editions and audiobooks. This slow, drip-feed re-release is not really helping anyone.

Archived