Geographical Comparisons To Westeros

Shrykos

Curious to see what geographical comparisons we all use to imagine various regions of Westeros, or the wider world if you want to.

The North - I usually think of GRRM own comparison to Scotland and Scandinavia. Beyond and towards The Wall I think of the taiga. 

The Riverlands - I think of an Ireland/Germany combination. 

The Vale - I think of the European Alps.

The Westerlands - The coast line sort of standard Northern European look, the hills I see something like the Appalachian mountains. 

The Reach - The northern half of the Reach I see France, the south more like Italy. 

The Stormlands - I see the American north-west/Irish forests. As a side note, the humid warm climate sounds awful lol.

Dorne - The north coast of Africa, Tunisia Algeria etc. 

The Crownlands - My bland old native England, north of France. Typical oceanic European climate/landscape. 

The Ironlands - A warmer Shetland isles.

North. Alaska, Its gigantic, a ridiculous amount of land. Cold snowy weather almost all year round

RiverlandsIllinois, Michigan, etc. Lands near the Great Lakes. 

The Vale. Colorado, Montana, etc. Large mountains and vast plains

The Westerlands.  California, cant get more west then that, many gold mines were there as well

The Reach. Kansas, other states in the Heartland. Fertile land that can feed the entire kingdom

The Stormlands. Washington. Often rainey and cloudy.

Dorne. New Mexico, Arizona, etc. Mostly desert and hot as hell

The Iron Islands. New York islands. All sorts of weather while a few small islands hold a ridiculous sized population

I tend to agree with op on most things except for a few.

I think of the Riverlands as similar to England/Belgium/Netherlands. Very green, lots of rivers, flat in some places but hilly in others. 

I feel that the ironborn culture is modelled after Vikings, but the Iron Islands themselves are based off Ireland.

I also think of the islands of the Narrow Sea as the Channel Islands but a bit bigger.

The North for me is Poland/Western Russia, and the Wall is the Ural Mountains, putting the lands of the Free Folk in Siberia. Though I agree that the North is very similar to Scandinavia as well. I also think that the White Harbour area is similar to Serbia/Hungary.

Archived