Strong Women

Daenerys Targaryen, Sansa Stark, and Sarella Sand.  I believe Alleras = Sarella. ;)  I admire a lot of the qualities of these girls.  They have not crumbled under pressure.  Cersei, Mellissandre, Val,  and Cat are strong too but I am not so much interested in them. 

Daenerys and Sansa are very good at coping.  Sansa gets criticized often for spending too much time in daydream.  Too much time away from reality is not helpful when trying to solve a problem.  It doesn't get any work done.  But it saved Sansa's life.  We should not forget, she is a prisoner and the Lannisters can take her ilfe at any moment.  This coping mechanism, escaping in her fantasy world, saved her life.  It allows her to endure captivity.  She has a little of George Martin's childhood trapped in New Jersey watching the ships coming and leaving port.  Daenerys does it even better.  Khaleesi looks for a way out of the predicament because she has very good problem-solving skills.  Daenerys took an awful situation and turned it into a step ladder to power.  She decides her own course.  Dothraki customs be damned, she is not going to Vaes Dothrak!  :D  I love Daenerys because her strength and intelligence are at the top. 

I don't think Sansa is smart but she's not dumb either.  She is what you might call the average girl.  She makes the best of the situation and escapes back in her make believe world of songs and romance to survive.  I also don't think everybody has to change the world and make a big splash.  Sansa will survive Petyr Baelish and find her own independence.  I believe independence is the end game of Sansa's story.  Becoming stronger and learning how to live without a man is power for a woman.  Perhaps she finds herself entering the order of the Septas. 

Sarella is the best at disguise.  I am saying she betters Varys and Mance.  She doesn't accept the traditional woman's place and I love that about her.  She better be really good because Sam Tarly will need a protector.  Capable fighter in addition to being a scholar.  Twice what Sam is.  She has to possess a lot of discipline in order to maintain her deception.  I am glad this girl is on the same side with Marwyn.

Meera Reed is also strong.  I want to see how she copes with Jojen's death and Bran's future advances.  Galazza Galare is very strong and the likely Harpy.  I do not think Tyrion can out smart her. 

8 hours ago, Princess Daenerys said:

Daenerys Targaryen, Sansa Stark, and Sarella Sand.  I believe Alleras = Sarella. ;)  I admire a lot of the qualities of these girls.  They have not crumbled under pressure.  Cersei, Mellissandre, Val,  and Cat are strong too but I am not so much interested in them. 

Daenerys and Sansa are very good at coping.  Sansa gets criticized often for spending too much time in daydream.  Too much time away from reality is not helpful when trying to solve a problem.  It doesn't get any work done.  But it saved Sansa's life.  We should not forget, she is a prisoner and the Lannisters can take her ilfe at any moment.  This coping mechanism, escaping in her fantasy world, saved her life.  It allows her to endure captivity.  She has a little of George Martin's childhood trapped in New Jersey watching the ships coming and leaving port.  Daenerys does it even better.  Khaleesi looks for a way out of the predicament because she has very good problem-solving skills.  Daenerys took an awful situation and turned it into a step ladder to power.  She decides her own course.  Dothraki customs be damned, she is not going to Vaes Dothrak!  :D  I love Daenerys because her strength and intelligence are at the top. 

I don't think Sansa is smart but she's not dumb either.  She is what you might call the average girl.  She makes the best of the situation and escapes back in her make believe world of songs and romance to survive.  I also don't think everybody has to change the world and make a big splash.  Sansa will survive Petyr Baelish and find her own independence.  I believe independence is the end game of Sansa's story.  Becoming stronger and learning how to live without a man is power for a woman.  Perhaps she finds herself entering the order of the Septas. 

Sarella is the best at disguise.  I am saying she betters Varys and Mance.  She doesn't accept the traditional woman's place and I love that about her.  She better be really good because Sam Tarly will need a protector.  Capable fighter in addition to being a scholar.  Twice what Sam is.  She has to possess a lot of discipline in order to maintain her deception.  I am glad this girl is on the same side with Marwyn.

Meera Reed is also strong.  I want to see how she copes with Jojen's death and Bran's future advances.  Galazza Galare is very strong and the likely Harpy.  I do not think Tyrion can out smart her. 

1. I'm fascinated with Daenys the Dreamer.  I want to know what kind of woman she was and whether our Dany is a dreamer too. 
  2. Marwyn is too smart to not know about Alleras.  He is in on her plan. 
  3. Asha Greyjoy is strong in mind and body.
  4. Chataya is an able businesswoman.  It takes a strong woman to deal with her clientelle as well as her employees. 
  5.  Visenya, Allisanne, Rhaella, and Missandei are strong too.  It was Visenya who saved House Targaryen.

I'm very interested to see Val in TWOW, moreso than LSH or even Dany (Dany's probably related to TV pollution.  I have enjoyed her character from the outset, but now I more accept than anticipate the fulfillment of her tale).  Though she certainly has something which she equates with strength, Cercei to me is really the only significant female character I would consider 'weak'.  Have to conclude with Falyse I guess, because even though she was a weak character in Feast and Dance, I can't help but think that if we see her again in Winds she may be somewhat Stronger.

21 hours ago, Princess Daenerys said:

The Targaryen women are strong.  It is too bad we never got to know Queen Rhaella.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:41 PM, Princess Daenerys said:

:)

On 5/7/2020 at 6:10 AM, Roswell said:
  1. I'm fascinated with Daenys the Dreamer.  I want to know what kind of woman she was and whether our Dany is a dreamer too. 
  4. Chataya is an able businesswoman.  It takes a strong woman to deal with her clientelle as well as her employees. 
  5.  Visenya, Allisanne, Rhaella, and Missandei are strong too.  It was Visenya who saved House Targaryen.

6)  Lady Barbrey Dustin

On 5/7/2020 at 2:19 PM, Jay21 said:

I'm very interested to see Val in TWOW, moreso than LSH or even Dany (Dany's probably related to TV pollution.  I have enjoyed her character from the outset, but now I more accept than anticipate the fulfillment of her tale).  Though she certainly has something which she equates with strength, Cercei to me is really the only significant female character I would consider 'weak'.  Have to conclude with Falyse I guess, because even though she was a weak character in Feast and Dance, I can't help but think that if we see her again in Winds she may be somewhat Stronger.

Cersei is strong-willed and tough.  Ask the late Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon. 

45 minutes ago, Princess Daenerys said:

6)  Lady Barbrey Dustin

Answering the call from the Starks always brought tragedy to the Ryswells and the Dustins.  Lingering feelings of affection from Brandon remain but it is now overshadowed with anger.  It was inconsiderate of Eddard to leave her husband's remains in Dorne.  He took the time to bring home the girl who started it all but could not be bothered to do the same for a very loyal bannerman.  I would feed his bones to the wolves too. 

4 hours ago, Hrulj said:

How many of them are powerful without their dynasty and name? Any non noble strongwomen?

Dynasty and family name are only relevant in the sense that noble women are the only ones who are likely to possess sufficient agency to appreciably interact with the world and demonstrate their strength. This is even more true than with men, who have much more options at every level in society -- as limited as commoners as a whole are.

Melisandre is an example of a powerful woman, who was a child slave and probably born a commoner in Westeros.

Daenerys started the story with virtually nothing, as an exiled princess of a deposed dynasty living in penury and fear for most of her life, and who was a glorified slave and broodmare for most of the first book. I think it is safe to say she is a strong woman independent of her family name and social status, even if her and Viserys being the last Targaryen scions is what enabled the marriage.

Bran's hormones will get the better of him and create tension in that cave.  I would have liked Sarella to accompany Marwyn.  Alas the mastiff lacks a bodyguard to watch his back. 

On 5/7/2020 at 6:10 AM, Roswell said:

Visenya was awesome.  She used finesse backed with a threat to bring the Eyrie into line.  By far my favorite of the historical Targaryens.  She is ahead of Alysanne in my book.  

On 5/7/2020 at 2:19 PM, Jay21 said:

Val is a possible love interest of Jon Snow.  The roles will be reversed.  She is the human while he is the corpse king.  

On 5/7/2020 at 3:41 AM, Princess Daenerys said:

I don't think Sansa is smart but she's not dumb either.  She is what you might call the average girl.

Sansa is hardly average. Her understanding of language and her social skills is something a late teen or even someone in their early twenties would have, not an 11-13 year old child. On top of that she's also skilled in sewing, dancing, singing, writing poetry, playing two instruments and has an encyclopedic knowledge on heraldry. Can you imagine the amount of hard work, dedication and intelligence that is required for this? Sansa is basically a Westerosi equivalent of a Straight "A" student. Sansa easily has a well above average intelligence. I hope you don't see this comment as a slight and nor do I want to turn this thread into yet another Sansa thread. I am only sharing my thoughts on your comment. That's all. ^_^

Jeyne Westerling when she stands up against her mother: 

• The girl turned her head away. "It is nothing," insisted her mother, a stern-faced woman in a gown of green velvet. A necklace of golden seashells looped about her long, thin neck. "She would not give up the little crown the rebel gave her, and when I tried to take it from her head the willful child fought me."

"It was mine." Jeyne sobbed. "You had no right. Robb had it made for me. I loved him."

• The widow rode with downcast eyes, huddled beneath a hooded cloak. Underneath its heavy folds, her clothes were finely made, but torn. She ripped them herself, as a mark of mourning, Jaime realized. That could not have pleased her mother. 

Ha ha you rubbed somebody the wrong way!!!!!!!!!!!!! it looks like.  Oberyn's widow is a strong lady.  Ellaria Sand is a sensible woman too.

On 5/12/2020 at 8:55 PM, Princess Daenerys said:

6)  Lady Barbrey Dustin

I feel sorry for Barbrey but she needs to forget about Brandon.  The first is always special but dwelling on it is not healthy.  She is right about one thing.  The Maester and Rickard were up to no good. 

Archived