Could a Sansa and Aegon marriage be possible?

First of all I don't particularly think this will happen, but I really want it too. To me it seems like Sansa's storyline is heading north, but that's a different theory. I think a Sansa Aegon marriage would be perfect for the narrative. I know it looks like Arianne is about to marry him, but say something happened to her, or Aegon chooses to use her as just an ally instead of a wife. This could mean Sansa is the more beautiful queen that will cast down Cersei. This is by far the most satisfying answer to the prophecy seeing as how Cersei has put Sansa through so much shit. Plus there's a little hint at Sansa marrying a Targaryen in The Hedgeknight.

1. Baratheon
  2. Tyrell
  3. Lannister
  4. Hardying
  5. Targaryen

For people who say, "But Joffrey wasn't a Baratheon", well Aegon isn't a Targaryen, it's just the name he's known by. Anyways, the big reason this storyline would be so satisfying is it would bring Varys and Littlefinger head to head. Sansa being Littlefingers puppet, and Aegon being Varys'. Watching the two of them in a chess match against each other would be fun, or having them work together against someone like Euron.

I don't want all of the Starks meeting up at Winterfell around the same time. I think it would feel a little easy. Having Jon, Bran, and Arya in the North fighting the Others, and then eventually having them come South to Kingslanding to meet Sansa would be better imo. Sansa's story is more political which is why she should be in kingslanding. I don't think her being in the North during the Other's invasion would serve her story much. 

FAegon is a lie that will need to be slain.  One of the three.  Having Sansa hitch herself to him means Daenerys can kill two birds with one stone.  Sansa is part of the lie being played at the Eyrie.  What's one more lie.  And then Daenerys can "slay" them both.  Which is something I really want to happen.

1 hour ago, King Adrian Storm said:

First of all I don't particularly think this will happen, but I really want it too. To me it seems like Sansa's storyline is heading north, but that's a different theory.

I think they will both survive to the end and their marriage will be the fulfillment of the song of ice and fire.  The joining of ice and fire; from north to south, the land will be one again.  Sansa will finally get her prince.  Part of a bitter-sweet ending. 

I doubt that the Ashford thing had anything to do with Aegon. It was written in 1997 when Martin hadn't even come up with the Blackfyres, and hence -- in my opinion -- not the later introduction of Aegon into the story.

Golden Company already changed their plans to marry fAegon with Arianne. Instead they wanted to marry her to Jon Connington. It was mentioned either in one of TWOW's sample chapters or in JonCon's last chapter in ADWD. They don't consider Arianne to be good enough for Aegon, they aim higher.

So I think that Varys, who is a Blackfyre, and who (possibly) has an alliance with Tyrells, thru Tyrells' connection to Redwynes, who were supporters of Blackfyres, and Olenna's father was a Redwyne, thus Varys will offer to marry fAegon to Margaery, after Tommen's death, and Myrcella's and Stannis' and Shireen's. Thru Margaery's marriage with Renly, after death of Stannis and Shireen, Margaery will become ruler of Stormlands, and after Tommen's and Myrcella's death, Margaery will become ruler of Crownlands, and thru her family she will be able in addition to Stormlands and Crownlands to offer The Reach to fAegon. It's better than what Aryanne can offer - only Dorne.

Though I think that Littlefinger will offer Sansa to fAegon, and thru marriage with her will promise to him the North, Riverlands, Westerlands (thru marriage with Tyrion, who is believed to be dead, Sansa is the Lady of Westerlands and Casterly Rock), and even the help of The Vale (because LF is the Lord of the Vale, or at least the Lord's Regent). 

Thus I think that in TWOW or in ADOS there will be negotiations about fAegon's possible marriage to Margaery or Sansa. Or could be that he will want to marry with both Margaery and Sansa, to be like the first Aegon, who was married to Rhaenys and Visenya.

On 8. Mai 2020 at 8:07 PM, LynnS said:

I think they will both survive to the end and their marriage will be the fulfillment of the song of ice and fire.  The joining of ice and fire; from north to south, the land will be one again.  Sansa will finally get her prince.  Part of a bitter-sweet ending. 

Would be nice (if he doesn't turn into a complete douchebag)

Well, she is still married to Tyrion. I wonder how that will be addressed? However, I do think that Sansa will have to marry someone for political reasons because she has so many familial allies- North, Riverlands, Vale. I think if someone wants to truly control Westeros, they will have to bring Sansa into their family through marriage. Obviously, this is what LF realizes about Sansa. 

18 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Would be nice (if he doesn't turn into a complete douchebag)

I expect he'll be a bit of a douchebag given his age.  He will need a little seasoning.  The ravages of war and plague should give him a dose of reality.

16 minutes ago, Bear Claw said:

Well, she is still married to Tyrion. I wonder how that will be addressed? 

Especially in this situation. Its one thing to convince the Vale lords Tyrions dead or soon to be dead. Its another to tell Young Griff that, who knows Hugor is not dead.

Also Tyrion saved Aegons life, Id think he would have objections to stealing his wife

40 minutes ago, Bear Claw said:

(f)Aegon is clearly positioned to have the Faith on his side. I'm sure the High Septon would have no problem annulling Sansa's marriage to Tyrion, if he was asked to do so. 

2 hours ago, Bear Claw said:

maybe he'll die- problem solved :devil:

Obviously, this is what LF realizes about Sansa. 

Um, everyone has noticed that about Sansa lol

I think if someone wants to truly control Westeros, they will have to bring Sansa into their family through marriage.

It didn't work out for people so well so far. If Sansa marries for political reasons, she'll only do it because it's her choice. Otherwise her arc is stagnant and repetitive. But IMO she'll marry for love or at least fall in love with her husband eventually or not at all, since her arc is about gaining agency and since she still longs for romantic love, I think, it will happen for her at least for a while. Otherwise it is the same storyline over and over again and Sansa, who never completely stopped believing in the goodness in the world and in the magic of songs will being "beaten" into accepting that everything she ever believed in and hoped for is completely impossible and will end up completely disillusioned. It would be equivalent to Arya submitting to leading the stereotypical life of a noble Lady against her will.

18 hours ago, Vaith said:

I doubt that the Ashford thing had anything to do with Aegon. It was written in 1997 when Martin hadn't even come up with the Blackfyres, and hence -- in my opinion -- not the later introduction of Aegon into the story.

Aegon was there since AGoT as the real purpose of Varys and Illyrio's plotting. We don't get any direct references to him, but we have indirect ones - Illyrio seeming to be secretly contemptuous of Viserys III, and Dany constantly wondering what he is getting out of the whole thing (being a hint for the reader to consider Illyrio to be more than just a nice benefactor), the plan Arya overhears only confirming that there is to be a Dothraki invasion but not that Viserys III is to be their king - but I'd agree that the Blackfyres only came after THK and possibly grew out of George's decision to create some sort background enemy for the Dunk & Egg stories.

Like Bloodraven grew out of the three-eyed crow, this Blackfyre thing was then likely also connected with the Aegon plot, i.e. that Varys and/or Illyrio might turn out to have some connections to the seven sons and multiple daughters of Daemon Blackfyre.

Prior to the doors opened by THK Varys/Illyrio and Aegon may have simply gone back to some Targaryen prince passed over in the succession - a bastard of Aegon IV, Vaella the Simple, Aerion Brightflame's infant son, one of Egg's sisters, etc.

But then, Aegon could still turn out to be the real deal. Who knows?

The idea that Sansa might (try to) marry Aegon was always an interesting notion to me. I very much expect the Vale to enter the main plot by declaring for Aegon during that tourney in the Vale, possibly at the instigation or due to the manipulation of Sansa herself, who might realize that this Aegon fellow is her ticket to publicly become a Stark again. She could force the hands of the assembled lords and knights - many of them young men, eager to show their valor in battle - by publicly revealing their true identity and thus forcing them to choose between handing her over to Tommen and stay in the good graces of the Iron Throne, or take up arms against the Lannisters and Tyrells in the name of Aegon who provides a focal point for such an uprising.

They would then assemble their armies and get them out of the Vale by ship, landing at Maidenpool and attacking KL from behind with the help of the Targaryen loyalits from Crackclaw Point.

Whether this could also result in a marriage between Sansa and Aegon would then depend on how they are received in KL - and how far Aegon and Arianne have taken whatever relationship they have. I've even tossed around the idea that Aegon might marry both of them as a Targaryen king - there is precedent for that, after all. Whether the present High Septon would approve of such a thing is unclear, although George has given himself a strong way to fly with something like that with his Doctrine of Exceptionalism - the Faith itself now teaches that the Targaryens are different from lesser men, meaning a King Aegon VI following the Conqueror's example wouldn't necessarily face that much opposition.

Littlefinger would also like the idea of making Sansa a queen to get closer to the ultimate price - once she has given Aegon a child they could do away with him and he could marry Sansa and rule the Realm as Lord Regent or Protector of the Realm (or think he could). After all, Littlefinger would have no idea that Aegon was Varys' creature - if he knew that, he would likely not go with such an idea, but not knowing about that it might seem too tempting. And if it is Sansa who starts the whole thing in the Vale he would have to adapt and jump the bandwagon, or risk being left behind and lose all his influence in the Vale. He could not possibly stop the lords of the Vale if most of them decided that this was a great idea, having no real authority over them.

Overall, such a plot could be great fun and finally bring Sansa into a position where she could influence policy on a grand scale and really clash with new factions - because if Arianne is going to be her 'sister queen' we would also get a warped mirror image of how Rhaegar's court may have looked like if he had lived and indeed made both Elia Martell and Lyanna Stark his two queens. A lot poison could fester at such a court beneath all the fake smiles.

This whole idea that Sansa and Littlefinger are going North to freeze some more and involve themselves in a place where enough Starks will be running around when Rickon returns from Skagos was never very convincing to me. That would be a plan for next spring, anyway, since the men of the Vale are hardly equipped for winter warfare in the North.

One could also argue that without the fresh Vale troops Aegon's chance to prevail long against the Lannisters and the Ironborn would be very slim.

5 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Also Tyrion saved Aegons life, Id think he would have objections to stealing his wife

If Tyrion is the good guy you always claim he is, he will not stand between Sansa's and Aegon's happiness. Would be indeed the right step towards his redemption to not hold Sansa against her will in this marriage with him.

13 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

If Tyrion is the good guy you always claim he is, he will not stand between Sansa's and Aegon's happiness. Would be indeed the right step towards his redemption to not hold Sansa against her will in this marriage with him.

I meant Aegon wouldn't want to steal his saviors wife

Why would these two strangers be happy with each other? If they get married then itll strictly be for the politics and their marriage would be as happy as any KL couple.

Plus their "fathers" are such assholes, bound to make trouble.

If Tyrion is such a good guy, as GRRM writes, then how could he leave his wife with the Madkings grandkid? (Or some kid who thinks he's the grandkid) Young Griff reminds Tyrion of Joff, not the ideal landing spot for Sansa.

What kind of redemption story has the protagonist shun his kidnapped wife?

Fortunately I doubt any of this will happen. Petyr made plans for Sansa being queen, not Aegon being king. Plus Petyr plans aside, Griff is not getting the faith army which is, and will remain, 100% in Tommens camp.

I do think there's fun comparisons between the two dark haired youths who live with their "father" though

8 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I meant Aegon wouldn't want to steal his saviors wife

Why would these two strangers be happy with each other? If they get married then itll strictly be for the politics and their marriage would be as happy as any KL couple.

Plus their "fathers" are such assholes, bound to make trouble.

If Tyrion is such a good guy, as GRRM writes, then how could he leave his wife with the Madkings grandkid? (Or some kid who thinks he's the grandkid) Young Griff reminds Tyrion of Joff, not the ideal landing spot for Sansa.

Frankly, I think Tyrion is one to know that you don't just judge people by their recent ancestry. I don't think that at this point he'd like to be "Tywin's son" (even though they are, indeed, quite alike) so he can judge Aegon independent of his alleged grandfather, which he already has done.

Tyrion isn't a good guy at this point. A redemption for him with regard to his marriage with Sansa would be letting them both move on. She was a child married to him against his will and the truly moral thing would be letting her move on; though I'm not sure whether Tyrion would personally want that.

But I do agree that the circumstances that could lead to this supposed match are hard to think of with the information we have now at the end of Dance and the first few samples of Winds.

34 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Frankly, I think Tyrion is one to know that you don't just judge people by their recent ancestry. I don't think that at this point he'd like to be "Tywin's son" (even though they are, indeed, quite alike) so he can judge Aegon independent of his alleged grandfather, which he already has done.

For sure! Young Griff is not Aerys anymore then hes Jon Conn

36 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Tyrion isn't a good guy at this point.

Like Mickey Mouse? Good guy is a relative term, ask Cersei or Illyrios slaves and theyd say no. Ask Penny or Young Griff and theyd say yes

39 minutes ago, Vaith said:

A redemption for him with regard to his marriage with Sansa would be letting them both move on.

Id think rescuing your spouse from Petyrs littlefinger is a point in the redemption department

40 minutes ago, Vaith said:

She was a child married to him against his will and the truly moral thing would be letting her move on

Id say it depends on the circumstances

41 minutes ago, Vaith said:

; though I'm not sure whether Tyrion would personally want that.

Tyrion wants his wife back... Although, not that wife

42 minutes ago, Vaith said:

But I do agree that the circumstances that could lead to this supposed match are hard to think of with the information we have now at the end of Dance and the first few samples of Winds.

Word, it aint happening. As stated above Aegon is probably gonna be with Arianne

22 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Like Mickey Mouse? Good guy is a relative term, ask Cersei or Illyrios slaves and theyd say no. Ask Penny or Young Griff and theyd say yes

He's always the man who used a child sex slave in Selhorys no matter who knows about him. A murderer's friends might think they are a "good" person if they only saw that person being kind, but that does not negate the crime of murder. Similarly Tyrion being liked by a few people doesn't negate his various awful deeds so far.

24 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Id think rescuing your spouse from Petyrs littlefinger is a point in the redemption department

Id say it depends on the circumstances

A child married to him against her will, not a spouse. And she escaped, she was not kidnapped -- being in KL with the Lannisters was as much as a danger to her as she is with LF now.

Hopefully moping about Tysha is enough to make him forget about his thoughts of wanting Sansa sexually after their marriage.

26 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Word, it aint happening. As stated above Aegon is probably gonna be with Arianne

Hopefully not there, either. Arianne seems much happier knowing she's heir to Dorne (she plotted Myrcella's whole usurpation so that she'd be in a political position where it would be impossible to deny her Sunspear) and I don't think she'll want to throw that away so quickly. Plus I doubt she'll go behind Doran's back again or find Aegon attractive. 

Team Aegon might not see it as a necessity, they're hedging their bets on Dany for the moment. Personally I see Arianne as an advisor more than spouse, but at the end of the day even she seems likelier than Sansa.

37 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Mickey Mouse

And all this time I thought Mickey was the bad guy. Mice wearing clothes are not to be trusted 

39 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

exactly

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

wouldn't exactly call it a kidnapping, she did leave on her own free will and put a lot of planing and risk into taking this opportunity. And I think even though LF is creepy as f she is still 10 times happier, than being stuck in KL with the murderers of her family

If Tyrion is such a good guy, as GRRM writes, then how could he leave his wife with the Madkings grandkid?

oh come on i thought you liked young Griff- I personally think he's not that bad. I liked, that he forbid Tyrion to drink right away after they met. who seems to have it more together please? Tyrion is after all still sort of a madman himself. And tbh nothing in Tyrion's chapters suggests, that he would jump at the opportunity to take responsibility for Sansa. She is the child-bride he has wed and lost

Why would these two strangers be happy with each other?

Why not? Why would Tyrion and Sansa be happy together?

If they get married then itll strictly be for the politics and their marriage would be as happy as any KL couple.

doesn't mean the can't fall in love with each other

Fortunately I doubt any of this will happen. Petyr made plans for Sansa being queen,

I don't think LF's plan for Sansa is to be queen-that would put too much a target on her back and his for that matter, but Lady of the Vale and WF

Archived