Who was likely responsible for the attacks mentioned in the WoW Arianne II sample chapters?

In the Winds of Winter Arianne II sample chapter, there was a passing mention of "raiders from the sea". Apparently, they sacked a Great Septry on the Holf of Man, and kidnapped 100 novices from Maiden Isle to be sold into the slave trade. Who was likely responsible for those attacks?

Well firstly we have no idea where these attacks took place, it should be noted that there are free cities who have run out of slaves because of Daenerys' ban in Slaver's Bay. There's pirates forcing people in to slavery at Hardhome. It might also be Aurane Waters, but in all honesty we have no idea. 

16 minutes ago, Jekse said:

Well firstly we have no idea where these attacks took place, it should be noted that there are free cities who have run out of slaves because of Daenerys' ban in Slaver's Bay. There's pirates forcing people in to slavery at Hardhome. It might also be Aurane Waters, but in all honesty we have no idea. 

True, there isn't too much definitive information in the text. My personal speculation is that they are Lyseni pirates taking advantage of the chaos erupting from the War of the 5 Kings. Maybe those sea raiders are even connected to the Lyseni slavers at Hardhome. As they were part of the same fleet or something.

21 hours ago, Otherdude said:

In the Winds of Winter Arianne II sample chapter, there was a passing mention of "raiders from the sea". Apparently, they sacked a Great Septry on the Holf of Man, and kidnapped 100 novices from Maiden Isle to be sold into the slave trade. Who was likely responsible for those attacks?

The answer is in Arianne I.

"And krakens off the Broken Arm, pulling under crippled galleys," said Valena. "The blood draws them to the surface, our maester claims. There are bodies in the water. A few have washed up on our shores. And that's not half of it. A new pirate king has set up on Torturer's Deep. The Lord of the Waters, he styles himself. This one has real warships, three-deckers, monstrous large. You were wise not to come by sea. Since the Redwyne fleet passed through the Stepstones, those waters are crawling with strange sails, all the way north to the Straights of Tarth and Shipbreaker's Bay. Myrmen, Volantenes, Lyseni, even reavers from the Iron Islands. Some have entered the Sea of Dorne to land men on the south shore of Cape Wrath. We found a good fast ship for you, as your father commanded, but even so... be careful."

They are more likely Euron's men and they need "holy blood" for their sacrifices. They might even hauling these krakens to the Redwyne straits where the battle against their fleet will take place.

These paragraphs are gold, btw. Lots of interesting info.

- Aurane Waters is in the Stepstones

- Volantenes carrying the Golden Company

- Lyseni slavers in their way north to capture wildings

- Myrmen too? ETA: No, they are going south, but where?

- Some info of what Euron is planning.

- Some stormlanders are joining JonCon, but some rumors are against him too.

12 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

They are more likely Euron's men and they need "holy blood" for their sacrifices. They might even hauling these krakens to the Redwyne straits where the battle against their fleet will take place.

On a similar question, how common is it for Lyseni, Myrmen, Tyroshi, Volantenes, Myrmen, (etc.) pirates to conduct raids in seize captives to sell in their respective City State's slave markets? Or do they mostly rely on slaves imported in from Slavers' Bay?

5 hours ago, Otherdude said:

On a similar question, how common is it for Lyseni, Myrmen, Tyroshi, Volantenes, Myrmen, (etc.) pirates to conduct raids in seize captives to sell in their respective City State's slave markets? Or do they mostly rely on slaves imported in from Slavers' Bay?

I actually don't know. As far as I remember there are no mention of something like that occurring in the vulnerable coasts of the Stormlands or Dorne. It might happen from time to time but not so often to get mentioned as a threat as is in the case of the ironborn and wildings. Maybe there have been warnings from Westeros that slavery of westerosi won't be tolerated? Now, given the current depletion of supply due to Dany's conquest and the political turmoil in Westeros, some slavers might be becoming more aggressive. Something to think about as a scenario.

Slavers of course exists in these cities. The Dothraki are huge slavers suppliers as we see early in AGOT and Illyrio for example sold them to Lys and other cities. Pirates of different culture also probable catch slaves everywhere and there might be pathways to fall under slavery within these societies like failing to pay debts, etc.

On another topic. I would really like to see the Stepstones. There might be an interesting mixture of Westerosi and Essosi cultures spiced with travellers from all around the world.

18 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

I actually don't know. As far as I remember there are no mention of something like that occurring in the vulnerable coasts of the Stormlands or Dorne. It might happen from time to time but not so often to get mentioned as a threat as is in the case of the ironborn and wildings. Maybe there have been warnings from Westeros that slavery of westerosi won't be tolerated? Now, given the current depletion of supply due to Dany's conquest and the political turmoil in Westeros, some slavers might be becoming more aggressive. Something to think about as a scenario.

Slavers of course exists in these cities. The Dothraki are huge slavers suppliers as we see early in AGOT and Illyrio for example sold them to Lys and other cities. Pirates of different culture also probable catch slaves everywhere and there might be pathways to fall under slavery within these societies like failing to pay debts, etc.

On another topic. I would really like to see the Stepstones. There might be an interesting mixture of Westerosi and Essosi cultures spiced with travellers from all around the world.

I wonder if the Free Cities ever snatch Westerosi slaves through plausible deniability. For example, I'm picturing a scenario where Lynseni pirates hiding out in a remote island in the Stepstones, have ambushed and seized a Westerosi ship. They abduct the passengers and crew, along with stealing whatever valuables the ship was carrying. The captives are then are sold to a slave market in Lys. Back in Westeros, the Lyseni were easily able to convince the Westerosi authorities that the ship was "lost in a storm" or something. 

5 minutes ago, Otherdude said:

I wonder if the Free Cities ever snatch Westerosi slaves through plausible deniability. For example, I'm picturing a scenario where Lynseni pirates hiding out in a remote island in the Stepstones, have ambushed and seized a Westerosi ship. They abduct the passengers and crew, along with stealing whatever valuables the ship was carrying. The captives then are sold to a slave market in Lys. Back in Westeros, the Lyseni were easily able to convince the Westerosi authorities that the ship was "lost in a storm" or something. 

It's possible that something like that happen from time to time, although not too often (or we would have heard of it), otherwise will run quickly into trouble. Westeros has typically at least two fleets to deal with piracy. The Royal Fleet and the Redwyne Fleet. I think that many merchants ships are accompanied by warships to make sure that nothing happens to them.

On 5/11/2020 at 9:51 AM, rotting sea cow said:

The Summer Islands. Or the Basilisk Isles. Or Sothryos itself.

I think Dany -- for all of her outer blundering and inner turmoil -- has been much more successful than what she has been led to believe. She has crippled the slave economy of Essos and so all these pro-slavery cities and entities are in full-panic mode and are trying to keep it all afloat by going out and taking new slaves from new areas in unorthodox ways.

Dany is going to have to conquer and neuter the whole continent of Essos in order to end the slave trade....and I think that she will.

Archived