The Locked Tomb Trilogy by Tamsyn Muir

Werthead

I just finished Harrow the Ninth. I barely have an idea of what the fuck happened but the last third of the book was highly entertaining.

Spoiler

It was good to hear Gideon Nav's voice again.

Also, God is a dick. 

• 1 month later...

I was looking up the release date for Alecto the Ninth and discovered that it's been pushed out until 2023, after intially being pushed out to 2022 AND that it's now book FOUR in the series.

https://www.tor.com/2021/07/30/announcing-nona-the-ninth-a-new-addition-to-the-locked-tomb-series-from-tamsyn-muir/

Edited by kairparavel

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 8:21 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

I'm in the middle of a re-read of Harrow the Ninth and it's way easier to handle the second time around. Just a ton of fun. 

Yeah I did another listen immediately after the first one and I think it got better each time.

• 5 months later...
On 1/29/2022 at 6:40 AM, felice said:

Why are publishers such total assholes? "It might be helpful to read the extra story As Yet Unsent" which is bonus content from the paperback not included in the hardback.

I think that one wasn't actually written at the time of the hardback publishing, at least I've assumed as such because the kindle version didnt initially have it but was updated with it. It needs to be made available somehow for hardback owners though

I finally read these.  I loved them.

1.  Book 1 is And Then There Were None (or maybe The Westing Game?) with skeletons and many, many, allusions.  Old Testament and Apocrypha are pretty evident.  “Sword of Gideon” is a bit on the nose.  But also Judith (always think of the many paintings with her serving a head on a platter), Canaan house (also important in the book of Judges), Abigail (married to King David, but also a prophet).  The Greek/Roman mythology hits hard (Ianthe with the violets/handmaiden of Persephone, Cytherea, Priam(hark), etc. etc.), and it is no coincidence that Lictors were the executioners (that bore the fasces) in the Roman Republic (so on the nose).  I thought the voice was unique, the world building was better than average, and the characterization was excellent.

2.  Book 2 is, I think Narnia meets Wuthering Heights … with skeletons.  The Revelation of St. John (… … …) is woven throughout.  I spent more than the average amount of time figuring out the pattern of each chapter’s title card skull.  Lots more bible.  Loads more mythology.  Lots of 80s and 90s pop culture.  So that was fun.

3.  Book 3, I’m assuming, will draw from similar sources.  And will be fun.  

• 4 months later...

Gonna...resurrect...this thread. 125 pages into Gideon the Ninth.  It's bonkers thus far and I have no idea where it's going.  Hoping for some clarity soon...

I admit I've read through the spoilers, and honestly, they really don't tell me much of anything...so that's good.  

Though it was nice to see my thoughts on the houses and where they're at was as obvious as I thought (even if it isn't accurate, at least I was thinking like some others...)

And the above description of The Westing Game meets And The There Were None is spot on for me...

Continuing on with the reading...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

• 2 months later...

I haven't ventured into this thread before but I read (listened to) both of these books last year. The first book was significantly better (imo). I think a lot of that has to do with the POV but there's a lot of value in that style of interaction, where it's almost like the movie Clue. There's a post in this thread where somebody says it's not surprising that the end of the second book is much better than the rest of it and I completely agree on why that is. The plot / reset made for an interesting read but not necessarily an enjoyable read. I don't know if that's a problem in execution so much as vision. I think my dissatisfaction was inevitable.

I do recommend the series to others and, for me, the pop culture references work for me which is surprising because I don't think that's ever been the case in a previous book.

I just got my copy of the new one but it's going to have to go in the pile until I've finished a few others. Even then, I'll have to read a synopsis of the last book to get my head around where we are at. 

Well my trend of loving this series continues even as each book is radically different to the previous ones. Finished Nona and my only frustration is that I can't read the final book immediately.

It's not quite the head fuck that Harrow was, but I suspect there's still a lot of layered depth that will need multiple reads to fully tease out, helpfully the audio book will add bonus interest to the second read.

One nice detail I've already seen pointed out

Spoiler

Most of the other kids aren't actually named what we see, Nona's universal translator is working on the names for their original meanings - the exceptions being Hot Sauce (which is why one of them asks if that's really her name at one point) and Kevin.

Another detail I saw about some of the chapter titles

Spoiler

The numbers of the John chapters are a relatively basic alphabet cipher, it spells out THETOWERHASREACTIVATED.

https://twitter.com/SpankMeSilly/status/1570020419150950401?s=20&t=DG86x_VgwApn3X31ZxRpeA

The numbers were actually different in the Arc copies and spelt out THETOWERWANTSJOHNGAIUS so there's some nice meta progression there

https://twitter.com/decemberiste/status/1570121042173243394?s=20&t=X_GazcCjSIEW7XFmy8ceQQ