Unfinished Story

The Commentator

2 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

What if Mr. Martin fails to finish the story?  Can you find satisfaction by drawing your own conclusions based on the data that we have so far?  

Absolutely. I can live with that. A lack of an ending doesn’t rob GRRM’s writing of its quality. The books we’ve gotten are well written and are popular for good reason.

I take comfort in the knowledge that GRRM has demonstrated over and over again that death is more or less a rite of passage for people: Ned is beheaded but he comes back as Dolorous Edd; Joffrey chokes but he comes back as Moonboy.

If GRRM dies before he can finish the story, it would not surprise me at all if he were reborn in the mode of Barbara Cartland, one of the most prolific authors in the English language. ASOIAF and the Dunk & Egg stories and the histories would all be finished very quickly - at least, as soon as the reborn GRRM was old enough that his mom allowed him to write the steamy love scenes.

The books would be different, but we can rest easy knowing that they will be finished, one way or another.

Hm. I'd like to answer yes to this.  The fact that I poke around here 4 or 5 times a week and check GRRM's webpage for Winds news about as frequently makes me question how honest to myself I wsould be being if I said that though.  Jojen paste, Falyse's skull under Robert Strong's helmet, Frey pie (and does Manderley survive?), return of the Hound, (f)Aegon?... I have an idea of how I think the big story ends but there are so many little pieces and small picture cliff hangers that I can say honestly I will not be satisfied if GRRM fails to finish the books.  I can only hope that some heir would take the opportunity to publish all of his notes and incomplete pages so that a lot of these little answers can be found, but that will be a distant second place to getting to read the actual story as intended.  I'm sure this is all hypothetical though.  The books will be completed.

To quote the Hound here: I would r*p* his f***ing corpse.

On a more serious note though, I think the past 5 books have been so well written that i would not regret reading them even if I do not get the climax. That said I still very much want to get my hands on the winds of winter, hopefully this year (I know I am sweet summer child)

I think if  Winds was really good and gave me a little more satisfaction with where the story was at the end , then I think I could live with it. If there was no more books after ADWD, I could no take that. I mean my favorite character Jon Snow was stabbed  multiple times by his own men in his last chapter. I could not take the story stopping there lol.

I want to read continuation of the story, not to imagine what it could have been like.

I don't care who will take Iron Throne in the end. I don't care what will be Euron's, Stannis', Bolton's or Varys' end-games like. I don't care about Golden Company or Meereen's knot. I don't care about what's going to happen to Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, who is Valonqar, who is the younger more beautiful queen, where whores go/what happened to Tysha, and all that shit. Though I want to at least find out what happened to Jon after he was stabbed, and what happened to Dany after her encounter with Dothraki, and what happened to Bran after his wedding with a tree.

If, for whatever reason GRRM won't be able to complete the series, then he at least has to give his fans a summary of what he was planning to write, at least some key-points. If GRRM will give info about what was supposed to happened to Jon, Dany and Bran, and also if he will reveal the real identity of Quaithe and the Three-Eyed Crow and what was their intentions, and if he will reveal that Rhaego was actually born alive, and was alive all that time, that Dany was conquering Slavers Bay, and what was supposed to be his role after his reunion with Dany, then I would have been satisfied with finding out that much, even if GRRM didn't published TWOW and ADOS.

23 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

What if Mr. Martin fails to finish the story?  Can you find satisfaction by drawing your own conclusions based on the data that we have so far?  

We already know the story of the major characters. We have known Jon's parentage, the fate of Gendry, Arya, Sansa, Dany, Cersei and Jaime for years now. At this point the only thing left are the minor characters who have no major bearing on the story in the long run

On 12. Mai 2020 at 8:46 PM, Seams said:

I take comfort in the knowledge that GRRM has demonstrated over and over again that death is more or less a rite of passage for people: Ned is beheaded but he comes back as Dolorous Edd; Joffrey chokes but he comes back as Moonboy.

If GRRM dies before he can finish the story, it would not surprise me at all if he were reborn in the mode of Barbara Cartland, one of the most prolific authors in the English language. ASOIAF and the Dunk & Egg stories and the histories would all be finished very quickly - at least, as soon as the reborn GRRM was old enough that his mom allowed him to write the steamy love scenes.

The books would be different, but we can rest easy knowing that they will be finished, one way or another.

:lmao::rofl:

6 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

No, just no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stunned: bugger you the Hound did never say that

Apologies, I accidentally quoted the sh*w. (Makes shocked face). I read the battle of blackwater scene again and yeah the Hound did not say that.  But man that scene was intense.

Archived