Videogames: "No E3 for you!" edition.

Red Tiger

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

I was really enjoying Shadow Tactics, until the second-to-last (or maybe it was the last) mission; where my save got corrupted right before the very end. The almost two hours up to that point had been some of the most stressful gaming I'd done ever, and I just didn't want to do it again. Uninstalled the game then and never went back.

That's a shame. The final mission is hands-down one of the best levels in video gaming of the last decade.

Finally worked myself up to going back to RDR2 after 5 months away. It's such a strange experience. I do quite like it, but it does feel like an ordeal.

I'm still not that far in, granted, but it all feels so disjointed and meh. Watch/vaguely-interact with five minutes of story, then trot along on your horse and dodge trees for fifteen minutes, ad infinitum.

The UI is fucking dreadful too.

Perfect Dark's single player campaign still holds up. I miss spy die and retry FPS campaigns.

I'd love a Timesplitters 2 or Goldeneye remaster. 

Timesplitters 2 I'm sure still holds up because it was designed for a system with two joysticks. Goldeneye is almost literally unplayable today. You could learn the controls enough to muddle through, but ugh they're bad. 

I started playing The Last Guardian and I love Trico.  Trico is obviously the star so working as intended.  I'm not sure how I'll progress because I waste too much time turning this way and that so I can watch this gigantic cat-ferret-bird walk around.

I've been looking at the Steam Summer Game Festival a bit, and there's just an unbelievable number of upcoming games that I'm at least moderately interested in. I think I've added about 30 games to my Follow list already (I use Follow for games not out yet, and Wishlist for games that are); and about a third of them are turn-based tactical RPGs (which is maybe my favorite genre besides sprawling third person RPGs). I know that genre has been on the upswing for a few years now, after laying fallow for well over a decade, but it seems like it's exploding now. I'm guessing a lot of people saw how successful D:OS2 in particular was, got inspired, and now, 2.5 years later, their games are getting ready to come out.

Games like Otherside, Vagrus: The Riven Realms, Fae Tactics, The Last Spell, Rise Eterna, The Way of Wrath, Arcadian Atlas, Tears of Avia, Dark Envoy, End State, Shores Unknown, Solasta, The Hand of Merlin, and The Iron Oath are all potentially extremely my jam. I'm sure at least some of them won't be good, but with this many options the odds are strong that some will be a lot of fun.

Plus there's Wasteland 3 coming in August.

Finished up God of War last night and while I liked the game, the story, and growth between father and son - the ending was pretty anti-climactic and feels like the whole game was just a setup for the next installment.  There's just so much there that we are told about the entire game that we never actually get to experience.  Still good, and probably the best story and gameplay of any of the series, but was still a bit disappointed.  

I only have an hour or two left of RE7, so I think I'll finish that next and then pick up Superhot as my next VR game until Iron Man.  Depending on how soon I get sick of VR gaming, then it will be Horizon Zero Dawn.

22 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Finally worked myself up to going back to RDR2 after 5 months away. It's such a strange experience. I do quite like it, but it does feel like an ordeal.

I'm still not that far in, granted, but it all feels so disjointed and meh. Watch/vaguely-interact with five minutes of story, then trot along on your horse and dodge trees for fifteen minutes, ad infinitum.

The UI is fucking dreadful too.

I really enjoyed RDR2, but the UI is somehow even stodgier and more cumbersome than GTA5's, and even that was a downgrade after the PS2 era and GTA4. Doing pretty much anything in the game was twice as hard as it should be. The number of times I set myself up to have my favourite weapons when I got off my horse only for the UI to flip out and "forget" it, so I found myself running into combat with a basic pistol with all my best hardware back on the my horse, was unreal.

This is interesting. If you own a copy of The Witcher III anywhere else - on Steam, PS4 or X-Box One - you can get a copy on GoG absolutely free, and your saves and progress will be transferred over.

Not sure about the utility for Steam users, but for console gamers who want to see The Witcher III looking its absolute best, it may be vaguely useful.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

This is interesting. If you own a copy of The Witcher III anywhere else - on Steam, PS4 or X-Box One - you can get a copy on GoG absolutely free, and your saves and progress will be transferred over.

Not sure about the utility for Steam users, but for console gamers who want to see The Witcher III looking its absolute best, it may be vaguely useful.

I am trying to link my PSN acct to GoG for this purpose.  Have not had a lot of luck. Keeps saying that it is timing out. :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Well that's one way to try to get more people into the GOG eco-system. I wonder how many people will take them up on it though.

If they really want to get people in there though they should offer some sort of bonus, or even a discount, on pre-ordering Cyberpunk2077 through GOG.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Joke's on them! I only own The Witcher on GOG! XD

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

Can't transfer my Switch data unfortunately :(

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

It seems to have worked for me. Not that I have actually put more than a few minutes into my  Xbox version of Witcher III anyway.

Also when linking my Xbox and GOG accounts all the games I have ever installed from Game Pass show up in my library, not just the ones I currently have installed.

10 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

CD Projekt has just postponed premiere of Cyberpunk 2077 again, this time for 19th of November 2020.

On the one hand, damn.

On the other hand, since the delay is a bit less than two months, I'm going to assume this will the last one. If it were longer, it would suggest there's a lot to still do (which makes estimates less reliable). But a shorter delay like that makes me think they have a strong sense of what they still need to accomplish and how it will take.

Yeah, it sounds like there's a lot of bug-crunching to do. Given the length of the game it's unsurprising that they've amassed so many bugs they're not confident about getting rid of them all in two months (which is what they'd have to do to get certification for the September release date).

I think people forget that The Witcher 3 had a pretty rough launch. Not as bad as some, but they did take a small amount of heat before they fixed the problems.

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

I am trying to link my PSN acct to GoG for this purpose.  Have not had a lot of luck. Keeps saying that it is timing out. :dunno: 

I had the same problem, apparently it's been a bug for a while. Found this workaround on the GoG forums: https://www.gog.com/forum/general_beta_gog_galaxy_2.0/playstation_network_was_unable_connect. Worked for me.

38 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

I had the same problem, apparently it's been a bug for a while. Found this workaround on the GoG forums: https://www.gog.com/forum/general_beta_gog_galaxy_2.0/playstation_network_was_unable_connect. Worked for me.

Holy @#$% that looks complicated!  :lol:

How the hell do people even figure this sort of thing out????  Its like those guys with the PSO Tweaker that solved the login and even the lobby lag issues with Phantasy Star Online 2 when Microsoft still hasn't even addressed it!

Edit:  Wow!  It worked!  Thanks for the pointer.  That is crazy.

I had sent a support ticket to GoG a couple days ago and all I got was "Try again at another time."  That makes me angry now.  They could have just said its a known issue and they are working on it.

Archived