Videogames: "No E3 for you!" edition.

Red Tiger

1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

As soon as I saw the trailer for Spider-Man: Miles Morales, I was sold. 

Liked that too.  It was the first thing in the reveal and I missed it.  I have read some people claim it will be more like a big DLC similar to Uncharted Lost Legacy.  Honestly, I’d be fine with that.

Looks like the system is vertical only... gonna have to rethink how I’ve got my space configured.

RPS has helpfully pulled together the known list of PS5 games shown that will also be getting a PC release; and its more than I thought. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/12/every-ps5-game-coming-to-pc/

• Project Athia
  • Hitman 3
  • RE8
  • Stray
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Little Devil Inside
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits
  • Bugsnax
  • NBA 2k21
  • Pragmata
  • Jett: The Far Shore
  • Solar Ash
  • Deathloop
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo
  • Godfall

Godfall and Kena are the ones I'm particularly surprised by; I'd assumed they'd be exclusives. And, I guess we'll know more in July, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft has committed to bringing all their first-party games to PC going forward (right?).

So I guess I'll be sticking with PC for another generation; I will need to upgrade my GPU at some point (still only have a 1070) and my storage (only 500GB of SSD, the other 8TB are still HDD); I think the rest should be fine. I just replaced the CPU, MB, RAM, cooling unit, and power supply last year.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

Godfall and Kena are the ones I'm particularly surprised by; I'd assumed they'd be exclusives. And, I guess we'll know more in July, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft has committed to bringing all their first-party games to PC going forward (right?).

So I guess I'll be sticking with PC for another generation; I will need to upgrade my GPU at some point (still only have a 1070) and my storage (only 500GB of SSD, the other 8TB are still HDD); I think the rest should be fine. I just replaced the CPU, MB, RAM, cooling unit, and power supply last year.

The cost of modern video games development has reached a point where keeping things exclusive to a brand new platform is almost completely impossible, whilst the current PC gaming market is titanic and can help alleviate those costs through extended sales. That logic seems to have penetrated Sony as well as Microsoft.

A 1070 should be fine for another couple of years of 1080p gaming or even 1440p (I'm still rocking a 1060 6GB and can still run most brand new games at max settings at standard HD). Depending on finances, it should be possible to skip the 20 series altogether and wait to see what happens next (probably the 30 series).

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

Looks amazing

It really does.  That turtle looks great!  They all do really.  Aloy is an all time great and Burch's voice is so good.  I have become such a voice acting nerd.  I never would have imagined I would find voice acting so important but it's among my favorite things about games.  I can't wait for this game.

In other games I can't wait for news my Last of Us II pre-order has canceled itself.  Speaking of voice acting, Last of Us has the best voice acting I have ever seen...heard...and is about perfect. 

That Little Devil Inside game looks good I agree.

50 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

It really does.  That turtle looks great!  They all do really.  Aloy is an all time great and Burch's voice is so good.  I have become such a voice acting nerd.  I never would have imagined I would find voice acting so important but it's among my favorite things about games.  I can't wait for this game.

In other games I can't wait for news my Last of Us II pre-order has canceled itself.  Speaking of voice acting, Last of Us has the best voice acting I have ever seen...heard...and is about perfect. 

That Little Devil Inside game looks good I agree.

Agreed 100% on Last of Us.  I was watching YouTube trailers of the games from the PS5 reveal and at some point, it rolled into a making of Last of Us documentary and I watched Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson do their auditions and then recording scenes in mo-cap suits.  Its crazy to hear Joel's voice coming from this young skinny blonde dude.  And I couldn't place where I knew Ashley from until just now when I looked her up on IMDB and remembered that she was the daughter in What Women Want!  :lol: 

I made a donation and picked up the Itch.io bundle for racial justice and equality: https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality which has an astonishing 1,500 (!!!) games, game assets, game related-things, etc. The purpose was the donation, not the games, but since I have them, I figure I might as well play a few. Thing is, I don't even know where to get started. Has anyone else picked this up and have any recs? I've only gone through the first couple pages, and so far I've seen Night in the Woods and A Short Hike, which I've both played previously.

27 minutes ago, Fez said:

I made a donation and picked up the Itch.io bundle for racial justice and equality: https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality which has an astonishing 1,500 (!!!) games, game assets, game related-things, etc. The purpose was the donation, not the games, but since I have them, I figure I might as well play a few. Thing is, I don't even know where to get started. Has anyone else picked this up and have any recs? I've only gone through the first couple pages, and so far I've seen Night in the Woods and A Short Hike, which I've both played previously.

I am just scrolling through the list... I don't think I have played any of these... Though I have seen someone play Octodad on Youtube, so that one seems fun.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

And I couldn't place where I knew Ashley from until just now when I looked her up on IMDB and remembered that she was the daughter in What Women Want!  :lol: 

Nah man, before the zombie apocalypse, Ellie got her start as Chrissy Seaver on Growing Pains.

1 hour ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Nah man, before the zombie apocalypse, Ellie got her start as Chrissy Seaver on Growing Pains.

That’s going way back.  I didn’t watch a ton.  The only episode I really remember was one where Kirk Cameron was going to cheat on a test by writing the answers on his shoes... which made him remember the answers and he didn’t need to cheat.  After acing the test, he put his feet up on the desk and the teacher thought he cheated.  

I don’t remember what happened after that. :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That’s going way back.  I didn’t watch a ton.  The only episode I really remember was one where Kirk Cameron was going to cheat on a test by writing the answers on his shoes... which made him remember the answers and he didn’t need to cheat.  After acing the test, he put his feet up on the desk and the teacher thought he cheated.

Jeesh, I remember this episode. Or at least that part of it.

12 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I don’t remember what happened after that. :lol: 

Google tells me his dad pleads his case that they don't have proof that he cheated, and he retakes the exam.

On 5/16/2020 at 5:50 PM, Simon Steele said:

Edit: Anyone try Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky? I had this series recommended, and I do love JRPGs, so I went for the first one, and I'm finding it kind of hard to get into (prologue). Right now, I find the dialogue to just drag on forcing me to skip a ton of it, and the battles are pretty slow (though I just did find you can speed up with the trigger button). What's the hook of this game/series?

I just finished the first Trails in the Sky game.  It takes a massive swerve at the end.  Most of the game plays out as a quirky coming of age JRPG and I enjoyed it for what it was.  The end of chapter four of the revelations in the ending scenes of the game turned the entire thing on its head and now I’m downloading SC and can’t wait for it to finish so I can jump back in!

Archived