Another Theon Junk Thread

John Suburbs

I came across this recently

https://emiliosandoz.tumblr.com/post/91408667498/why-booktheon-still-has-his-dick-and-what-it

and while I can't say that I fully agree with the central premise (that Theon's manhood is still attached), it raised several things I hadn't noticed before.

Namely, 

Why was Theon so nonchalantly removing his wet rags when just a few moments later he tells Roose: "Lord Ramsay gave them to me, he . . . he said that I was never to take them off, save at his command."?

Why was he not even slightly unnerved when Steelshanks finds him undressing, but then reacts with terror at the mere thought of Roose or Ramsay or their guards tearing his clothes off.

And from a physical standpoint, the penis is a highly vascular organ. If you just lop it off, the victim is likely to bleed to death in a matter of minutes. If not, then the urethra has to be preserved so that the victim can urinate, otherwise they die of blood poisoning in a few days. After that, there is the risk of infection from being kept in a filthy, rat-infested dungeon. All of this can be avoided by someone with the skill and patience to do it right, like Varys' supposed wizard, but then this takes away from the torturous aspect that Ramsay is going for, no? If Theon is even slightly conscious for this procedure, he is likely to flinch and writhe just from the pain and terror of it all, which lessens the odds even more that he'd survive for very long.

So I welcome your comments, but if it's just that Theon has no junk because Ramsay took "that other thing" and "m'lord, I have no . . ." I can't argue against any of that. But read the whole tumblr post and tell me what you think.

Oh Lord!  No I can't.  For a minute there, I thought you meant junk as in general junk about Theon, not about his junk in particular.  I'm too squeamish of late.  I blame it on Euron.

I think this adds to the idea that we don't really know, and neither does GRRM. Off the top of my head the arguments for him having it and not having it:

Having it:

1) Theon thinks about how he would fuck the wildling if he dared (dared not could)

2) No actual mention of it

3) Jeyne saying that she would be his mistress, meaning that if he is a eunuch she doesn't know

4) Ramsay only sending some skin to Asha and not the thing

5) It being a very hard process, especially in the shit hygiene Theon lives in makes it unlikely he would survive the procedure.

Not Having it:

1) Theon's other thing

2) Theon thinking about if he had a tail Ramsay would cut it

3) Ramsay constantly saying he's not a man

4) The wedding Theon had no...

And the counter arguments.

Against him having it:

1) Theon could still have sexuality and fantasies and he just wasn't thinking about what he could do

2) Why would anybody mention it

3) Jeyne don't know shit

4) The thing would rot

5) Ramsay probably has experience

Against him not having it:

1) Theon's other thing could be his name, and it makes sense given how often he thinks about it.

2) Theon may be thinking about fingers not dicks in regards to tails

3) Ramsay is not referring to him not being a man in terms of gender but him not being a human being (this especially makes sense as this is when he send him to sleep in the kennels)

4) Maybe Theon had no erection

All in all i feel like all of the arguments can be completely debunked or explain by the other side, except the Theon has no... thing and how he would fuck the wildling if he dared, both of which cannot be completely explained.

My opinion is that GRRM himself didn't know and left enough hints on both sides so he could go either way in TWOW.

It crossed my mind recently that, with GRRM's love of wordplay, he might have created a wordplay pair around "kin slayer" and "skin layer". We know that Tyrion is a kin slayer, after he kills Tywin. (Tyrion also confesses that his birth resulted in the death of his mother.) If there is a hint in the possible wordplay, references to a skin layer almost certainly come back to House Bolton, which celebrates flaying by creating a sigil around a man with no skin.

But is Ramsay Bolton a good parallel for Tyrion? Would Theon be a better parallel? If Theon is the match, maybe this is a clue that his organ has not been fully severed. Maybe just the skin layer has been flayed.

On 5/14/2020 at 5:22 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

1) Theon's other thing could be his name, and it makes sense given how often he thinks about it.

This is very interesting and honestly something I had not considered before. 

I agree with your overall premise that it could be interpreted either way, there are def clues for both sides.

1 minute ago, Lady Dacey said:

Could be he was going say "m'lord, I have no right" or something along those lines

Hey, that actually makes sense. Goes with what I said there is no way to say for sure as of now, and my opinion is that GRRM left it so vague on purpose, leaving it so that he could go either way in TWOW, whatever suits him best.

Archived