US Politics: OBAMAGATE - An American Story

Week

18 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Like I said, just think of what Historians will make of it one day.

To think, we're just a few years past the already strange event of a failed businessman turned reality celebrity becoming president despite the undeniable fact that he said he can rape any woman he wants. Because they let him.

Oh, and then everyone found out he was two timing his wife with a pron star while she was home with their new born. And the religious right protected him for it?

I could literally write like 50 of these. It's all a joke. Like when he called the pandemic that broke the world a hoax. Like two months ago!!11!!!1!!

To turn to the lighter side of things, I've been researching candidates since it is filing week here in Washington and it's always fun to go find the crazies. So far the best I've found is Martin "Iceman" Wheeler running in a crowded Republican field to try and unseat Jay Inslee. My personal favorite bit is his propensirty to write out Open quote, then the quotation with quotation marks then write out Close quotre, and of course his letter to president Trump in "Hebrew". https://www.wheelerforgov2020.com/post/letter-to-trump-in-hebrew @Tywin et al. Would you care to assess whether this is actually in anyway Hebrew? Any of my fellow Washington boarders getting on the Iceman train?

Anyone else got anything wacky going on in their state?

PBS NewsHour has published a thorough and balanced look into Tara Reade's allegations by reaching out to some 200 former Biden staffers, and speaking with over 70 of them (the greater part of them being women), including 20 who were staffers at the same time as Reade and one, on the record, who worked next to her and has some distinctly different memories of her time there than what she has offered, believing she was let go for cause due to her botching the handling of constituent mail. Also a number of people saying that Biden eschewed having female staffers serving drinks because he didn't like the optics, the area where Reade said the assault happened not having any kind of private alcoves that the reporters could find, that Biden practically never held fundraisers in Washington and generally got out of DC for Delaware, and some other such things which are contrary to the picture Reade and those who vouch for her have painted. Well-worth reading.

I note with interest that Reade's attorney's response to all these on-the-record people discussing their recollections, indicating that they should be doubted because they may have selfish or politically-motivated reasons for what they say. A point very well-taken, Mr. Wigdor.

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

OK I think I maybe blinked and missed something, what the fuck is OBAMAGATE?

The idiotic, nonsensical story of Obama plotting to sabotage Trump by ginning up Michael Flynn's repeated lies ... lies which he actually told, to the FBI and to Pence, among others, lies which he admitted making both in writing and before the judge, and so on.

There is no Obamagate. It's just stupid, right-wing noise.

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Birtherism 2.0

24 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

To turn to the lighter side of things, I've been researching candidates since it is filing week here in Washington and it's always fun to go find the crazies. So far the best I've found is Martin "Iceman" Wheeler running in a crowded Republican field to try and unseat Jay Inslee. My personal favorite bit is his propensirty to write out Open quote, then the quotation with quotation marks then write out Close quotre, and of course his letter to president Trump in "Hebrew". https://www.wheelerforgov2020.com/post/letter-to-trump-in-hebrew @Tywin et al. Would you care to assess whether this is actually in anyway Hebrew? Any of my fellow Washington boarders getting on the Iceman train?

Are we playing ask a Jew here?

My Spanish and French are better than my Hebrew, which is one of the harder languages to read, even when you get the English version, and I don't speak Spanish or French all that well these days. Many reform American Jews, especially us who don't practice anymore, know how to speak parts of the language without really understanding entirely what we're saying or exactly what we're reading, at least if there isn't also a straight English translation besides the the Hebrew section. We know what the stories are though.

I cannot speak to the letter, there is certainly Hebrew in it, but some of it looks odd. I haven't cared about the language for two decades, though. Done correctly, it is quite beautiful when sung. Also, pay attention. The vowels are very different in proper Hebrew, because there are none.

31 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Recall move against the Governor - a Koch Brothers toady - can proceed and will likely be on the ballot. Might even win; his behavior has been a bit much even for some conservatives.

State is opening up; but then again Alaska lucked out - fewer than four hundred confirmed COVID-19 cases total, fewer than 40 still active, 10 dead.  Overwhelming majority of cases were in Anchorage (major air hub), most of the remainder were 'travel related.'  Mayor declared my town 'open' this week - but lots of masks, social distancing and whatnot still in effect.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Who else should he ask regarding letters in Hebrew? A German?

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

My Spanish and French are better than my Hebrew, which is one of the harder languages to read, even when you get the English version, and I don't speak Spanish or French all that well these days. Many reform American Jews, especially us who don't practice anymore, know how to speak parts of the language without really understanding entirely what we're saying or exactly what we're reading, at least if there isn't also a straight English translation besides the the Hebrew section. We know what the stories are though.

Maybe time to brush up your kinky j-date contacts from college. I mean, I woud ask mine, however, the German Boy looking for Jewish Girl for Kinky Fantasies did not attract nearly as many responses as people suspect (yes, this was an entire paragraph just to get that off colour joke in).

Anyway, there are a few other Jewish boarders here beside Ty, whose Hebrew might be better. So ask them.

27 minutes ago, Ran said:

PBS NewsHour has published a thorough and balanced look into Tara Reade's allegations by reaching out to some 200 former Biden staffers, and speaking with over 70 of them (the greater part of them being women), including 20 who were staffers at the same time as Reade and one, on the record, who worked next to her and has some distinctly different memories of her time there than what she has offered, believing she was let go for cause due to her botching the handling of constituent mail. Also a number of people saying that Biden eschewed having female staffers serving drinks because he didn't like the optics, the area where Reade said the assault happened not having any kind of private alcoves that the reporters could find, that Biden practically never held fundraisers in Washington and generally got out of DC for Delaware, and some other such things which are contrary to the picture Reade and those who vouch for her have painted. Well-worth reading.

I note with interest that Reade's attorney's response to all these on-the-record people discussing their recollections, indicating that they should be doubted because they may have selfish or politically-motivated reasons for what they say. A point very well-taken, Mr. Wigdor.

Related to this, Politico has published an article after interviewing as many people as they could find from Tara Reade's recent life. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/15/tara-reade-left-trail-of-aggrieved-acquaintances-260771

None of it prove she's lying of course, but they do suggest a pattern of bad behavior that could pretty easily cause someone to question her motives now.

“She became really difficult,” Wrye said. “She said, ‘you’re going to have to pay me to get me to leave.’”

“She was manipulative,” said Wrye, a self-described feminist and social activist. “She was always saying she was going to get it together, but she couldn’t. And ‘could you help her’?”

Wrye’s distressing experience with Reade wasn’t an isolated case. Over the past decade, Reade has left a trail of aggrieved acquaintances in California’s Central Coast region, who say they remember two things about her — she spoke favorably about her time working for Biden, and she left them feeling duped.

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I cannot speak to the letter, there is certainly Hebrew in it, but some of it looks odd. I haven't cared about the language for two decades, though. Done correctly, it is quite beautiful when sung. Also, pay attention. The vowels are very different in proper Hebrew, because there are none.

I've looked at it in relation to the Hebrew alphabet and can't find much in it that appears to be Hebrew, maybe things that are kind of similar, but more like someone who knows vaguely what Hebrew looks like, but doesn't actually know. It actually looks more like Thai than Hebrew

I apologize, I should not be making assumptions, so I'm sorry if it was in any way insulting, that was not my intention

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Who else should he ask regarding letters in Hebrew? A German?

Oddly, yes. You bastards are crafty after all. And I can actually understand some of the French, though the subtitles help greatly.

I could even understand a decent amount of the German from Sophie's Choice, as I wrote in the movie thread.

Maybe time to brush up your kinky j-date contacts from college. I mean, I woud ask mine, however, the German Boy looking for Jewish Girl for Kinky Fantasies did not attract nearly as many responses as people suspect (yes, this was an entire paragraph just to get that off colour joke in).

Anyway, there are a few other Jewish boarders here beside Ty, whose Hebrew might be better. So ask them.

Online dating really takes the fun out of things. I feel bad for the guys who struggle with it, but I was going on several dates a week with new women. And I was not settling. 

But when you hurt multiple people you cared, at least to some extent, about in a very short period of time, life requires a reevaluation. 

I tried to write you something in German, but when I put it into the Googles to see if I got it I was alarmed at how much I got wrong.     

58 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Trump noticed that Biden was white so he decided he needed to remind people about how awful it is to have a black president.

The FDA just ordered the State of Washington to stop the coronavirus testing backed by Bill Gates, because now they need approval directly from the US government.

An innovative coronavirus testing program in the Seattle area — promoted by the billionaire Bill Gates and local public health officials as a way of conducting wider surveillance on the invisible spread of the virus — has been ordered by the federal government to stop its work pending additional reviews.

The program involved sending home test kits to both healthy and sick people in the hope of conducting the kind of widespread monitoring that could help communities safely reopen from lockdowns. Researchers and public health authorities already had tested thousands of samples, finding dozens of previously undetected cases.

But the program, a partnership between research groups and the Seattle and King County public health department that had been operating under authorization from the state, was notified this week that it now needs approval directly from the federal government. Officials with the Food and Drug Administration told the partnership to cease its testing and reporting until the agency grants further approval.

Coronavirus stories are not behind the NYT paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/15/us/coronavirus-testing-seattle-bill-gates.html

18 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I've looked at it in relation to the Hebrew alphabet and can't find much in it that appears to be Hebrew, maybe things that are kind of similar, but more like someone who knows vaguely what Hebrew looks like, but doesn't actually know.

I apologize, I should not be making assumptions, so I'm sorry if it was in any way insulting, that was not my intention

I was just giving you shit.

There are many clear Hebrew letters in there, but I can only tell you what the letters are, and if the vowels look right. Hebrew is one of the hardest languages to learn to read, even for people who've spoken it from a young age. That's why I tried to make a subtle difference above. I could teach you to speak it pretty easily, but reading it in proper Hebrew? Good luck with that, and that letter had so many sloppy errors I don't even know what to do with it. 

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Do you really think most will be will to accept the risk of starting a business for no more possible remuneration beyond twice what their lowest paid employee makes when that person holds all the risk and debt of that business?

The debt should be held by the business, not an individual; there shouldn't be any personal risk, beyond putting in a lot of work that might not pay off and having to get a regular job if the business fails.

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well on the other hand.I like really needed the subtitles here.

On that note. As much as I love(d) Alan Rickman, but really a big Hollywood production couldn't find a decent German actor for the role, so allow the character to actually speak German.

That's always been the bit I found somewhat annoying. I accept that German is not a particularly easy language to learn and speak. But then for the love of God cast somebody for the role. To his credit, his pronunciation was actually not half bad, just the grammar.

I presume this is one roughly the same nuisance levels, as it is for Scots to listen to Mel Gibson in that parody.

Or having to watch Kevin Costner as Robin Hood for the English.

Since you brought up Inglorious Basterds. Can I just say, that Schweiger is one hell of a an annoyingly dumb witted bellend (and overrated actor in general). Sorta German Sylvester Stallone if you will.

Archived