US Politics: OBAMAGATE - An American Story

Week

Just now, mcbigski said:

But he's getting tossed from the committee chair, not out of the Senate entirely.  Is this Mitch just cutting his losses, or is he preparing for future hearings?

It's quite obviously Mitch succumbing to pressure due to the member's own scandals.  Stripping members of committee positions is literally the most common disciplinary action congress employs.  Applying it to McConnell somehow doing so because he didn't agree with Burr's stewardship of the intelligence committee is simply a right-wing illusion.

There is definitely increasing moral hazard the longer you go being reported as the most scandal free administration in history.  Other than perhaps getting a small position in popcorn futures, let's wait and see.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

There is definitely increasing moral hazard the longer you go being reported as the most scandal free administration in history.  Other than perhaps getting a small position in popcorn futures, let's wait and see.

Ha!  Guessing you learned the term moral hazard from that idiot on CNBC or whatever during the Great Recession.  When in actuality it's your ilk that are the true moral hazard of American politics.  Ah, keep em coming man.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Gotta say I'm enjoying Obama continuing to lean in on criticizing Trump.  Also enjoying McConnell responding by telling a former president to "shut his mouth," and generally how much it rankles not only Trump but the GOP leadership.  While I thoroughly enjoyed it at the time - and still do - Obama's complete and utter roasting of Trump at the WH correspondents dinner was probably the main impetus for Trump to run.  Time for Obama to make amends.

And I thought, blaming all the White people's problem on the Black Man got you into this mess. And, you are still doing it.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And I thought, blaming all the White people's problem on the Black Man got you into this mess. And, you are still doing it.

I don't care if Obama was purple or pink, only way I'm "blaming him" is because he's the best living politician we got and I encourage him to try all he can to influence his successor's defeat.

Hum, so many angles to play this.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't care if Obama was purple or pink, only way I'm "blaming him" is because he's the best living politician we got and I encourage him to try all he can to influence his successor's defeat.

I could proceed by asking why you questioned Obama's blackness. But alas, you kinda took a bit of the bite out of it with your edit, and it might push things a bit too far.

Ah, well. then there's door two.

Best living politician? What about Bernie? Has Obama ever done as well as he has in caucuses?

Or I could just go on with the trope, of the white guy expecting the black guy to clean up his mess.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Best living politician? What about Bernie? Has Obama ever done as well as he has in caucuses?

Uh, yes.  Obama performed much better than Bernie in caucuses.  This is not surprising considering he won, twice, and Bernie lost, twice.  I don't know why you're making this a racial thing, other than to simply be argumentative, which I suppose I appreciate.  Saying I enjoy Obama now getting more involved and mentioning the fact he got an entire room of people to laugh at Trump to his face probably motivated the latter to run for president isn't "expecting the black guy" to do anything.  Indeed, it was the opposite, endorsing Obama's aggressive approach in the face of Kentucky Fried Turtle saying Obama should shut his mouth.

53 minutes ago, DMC said:

Guessing you learned the term moral hazard from that idiot on CNBC or whatever during the Great Recession.

Rick Santelli!  For the life of me I couldn't remember his name.  Kept on googling Pantelli or something like it that starts with a P for some reason.  Sorry, carry on.

Was basically just having some fun.

Was the White Hosue Correspondence Dinner and room full of people laughing at him what motivated Twitler to run? Maybe.

But that's not what got him elected.

Trump at his very core is a creature born out of White Resentment (well, the resentment of Old White Men to be more accurate). So to poke fun at Obama that he is somehow to blame for his successor even in jest, feels a bit awkward. This reminds me a bit of a scene from Mississippi Burning.

This time, daddy didn't kill the mule, he got into the White House.

32 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So to poke fun at Obama that he is somehow to blame for his successor even in jest, feels a bit awkward. This reminds me a bit of a scene from Mississippi Burning.

Oh, geez.  I don't need a lecture on how white racial resentment led to Trump's victory.  Ya know why activating that shit worked with low-information voters?  Because of the overreach among PC principals that impugn motives and serve to alienate those that are otherwise inclined to vote Democrat.  In other words, exactly what you're doing. 

I don't know if the WH correspondents dinner is really why Trump chose to run, just like I don't know what's in anybody's head except my own labyrinth.  But it's fun to joke about, and there's no racial intent there - especially towards a president I committed quite a bit of time, money and effort to get elected and reelected.  This should be obvious to anyone with a sense of humor.

34 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

I'm not much into US politics but I'm curious, what is supposed to be that "OBAMAGATE"?

A portmanteau of a black president and the most infamous presidential scandal.  What's it based on?  Nothing, same shit Trump has been whining about since he got elected.  Just the most recent distraction from his own incompetence.  It seems to entail complaining about the FBI doing their job and generally decrying the "deep state," but I wouldn't advise going down that absurd path.

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

A portmanteau of a black president and the most infamous presidential scandal.  What's it based on?  Nothing, same shit Trump has been whining about since he got elected.  Just the most recent distraction from his own incompetence.  It seems to entail complaining about the FBI doing their job and generally decrying the "deep state," but I wouldn't advise going down that absurd path.

What did the FBI? I don't want to go much further, completely unnecessary.

BTW: What is the possibility of Obama running again? From afar, it seems to me that Trump still needs to do much worse during the current crisis to get Biden elected.  That old man cannot warm up even a horny quarantined teen, if you forgive the language.

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

Really -- this is worse than just for starters this week what the US has done

Yes.

ETA: so as not to make this too rude, let me elaborate. To state that everyone knows Cuba is a better country by far than the US, you can't pick one issue, even one as important as response to coronavirus. Nor can you look at whether the US is in a dangerous moral decline, while Cuba is not, because the whole point of that comparison is that the US is in danger of becoming as bad as Cuba, meaning Cuba is still worse.

The attempt to write off HRW in such an offhand way is unfortunately suggestive of someone not willing to look at the facts. But the facts remain. However good its education and healthcare, Cuba is an undemocratic, authoritarian, repressive regime that persecutes dissidents and in which people lack basic freedoms. If you really think Cuba is by far the better country, try going over there and starting a rival political party.

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

Really -- this is worse than just for starters this week what the US has done against its own people, f

Yes? Cuba used to arrest gay people for simple being gay and try state mandated conversion therapy. Cuba still arrests dissidents and journalists. How many journalists has Trump arrested? How many opposition politicians has Trump arrested. The Cuban healthcare system is not the whole of Cuba. Cuba has some admirable achievements there but the rest of the country is not doing so well. And even in healthcare there are shortages of medicine and modern medical equipment.  Cuba has been poor and stagnated since the 50s during that time South Korea and Singapore have gone from depseratley poor to modern and wealthy. Those are the models we should look at not a stagnated tinpot dictatorship.  

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

What did the FBI?

Well put.  What the FBI done did is something I'm still pretty unclear about, except I know James Comey and Andrew McCabe done did things that didn't entail bending over to Trump, so they must be traitors.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Oh, geez.  I don't need a lecture on how white racial resentment led to Trump's victory.  Ya know why activating that shit worked with low-information voters?  Because of the overreach among PC principals that impugn motives and serve to alienate those that are otherwise inclined to vote Democrat.  In other words, exactly what you're doing. 

Not sure what your issue is here.

Do you suggest that the Trump campaign was not built on resentment?

Resentment against minorities, mainly Hispanics (Mexican drug dealing rapists) this time, with his promised signature legislation being a monument to it (the wall).

Then there was the resentment against intellectualism and the librul elite, who have built this deep state for some reason, and covered for HRC for reasons. Ah, right, there's also the failure of the Kenyan Prince in the Oval office ofc. Almost forgot that classic.

I mean his entire campaign was an entire whine festival about perceived one grievance or another. 

Is RINO even half way applicable when the president, and leader of the party, is a RINO?

Or is just blind obeisance all it takes to be a Republican? Funny how a liberal New Yorker  who hates the common man became the king of the Republican party.

Power is more valuable than anything your Bible taught you, @Ser Scot A Ellison, sorry to say. 

Archived