US Politics: OBAMAGATE - An American Story

Week

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They have to ignore Stare Decisis to do that.

Which is easy.

Any previous decision was made by a liberal activist court. Donezo. 

Didn't you come up with these types? 

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Which is easy.

Any previous decision was made by a liberal activist court. Donezo. 

Didn't you come up with these types? 

To be fair, there hasn't really been a liberal activist SCTOUS pretty much ever. That's not going to stop them from overriding prior court decisions. We've already seen it happen a few times.

ETA: I don't actually think they'll override Jones vs Clinton or Nixon vs US, mostly because of Roberts and his care for his legacy. I do think they're going to take the DOJ's position that it'll be the burden of the prosecutors to prove why they need the information in Vance (which btw is ridiculous given this is not trial, it's a grand jury investigation) and that there needs to be a limit on what Congress can ask for in doing an investigation for legislative processes in Mazar. As a result of this, I think it gets kicked back to lower courts, tested against these new standards and then works its way back up to SCOTUS over the course of another few years, all of which is what Trump/DOJ wants. They can't win on the merits but they can delay.

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I don't actually think they'll override Jones vs Clinton or Nixon vs US, mostly because of Roberts and his care for his legacy. I do think they're going to take the DOJ's position that it'll be the burden of the prosecutors to prove why they need the information in Vance (which btw is ridiculous given this is not trial, it's a grand jury investigation) and that there needs to be a limit on what Congress can ask for in doing an investigation for legislative processes in Mazar. As a result of this, I think it gets kicked back to lower courts, tested against these new standards and then works its way back up to SCOTUS over the course of another few years, all of which is what Trump/DOJ wants. They can't win on the merits but they can delay.

Sadly I think this is right.  Making Trump hand over his returns would seem "too political" so Roberts will just kick the can down the road and ignore that it further neuters Congressional oversight of the President. 

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

To be fair, there hasn't really been a liberal activist SCTOUS pretty much ever. 

That's the ballgame Mex. Our country, even if people don't really understand or agree with it, has always been right to center right. Anything to the left of it is activist. 

But those people walking around protesting with guns despite their elected officials telling them they must stay home by law are just patriots.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No, I still believe in Stare Decisis.  Always have.  

Believe in it all you want, you're not wrong to do so. But believing in something doesn't make it happen, especially when more aggressive people believe in something else. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Sadly I think this is right.  Making Trump hand over his returns would seem "too political" so Roberts will just kick the can down the road and ignore that it further neuters Congressional oversight of the President. 

Yeah, that's the overwhelmingly most likely outcome I think. 

A 5-4 can-kicking decision, with the four liberals strongly dissenting, and Alito and Thomas with a concurring opinion saying they agree in judgment but would've gone much further and straight up had a different standard because of how bad Democratic presidents are, seems all but guaranteed.

15 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yeah, that's the overwhelmingly most likely outcome I think. 

A 5-4 can-kicking decision, with the four liberals strongly dissenting, and Alito and Thomas with a concurring opinion saying they agree in judgment but would've gone much further and straight up had a different standard because of how bad Democratic presidents are, seems all but guaranteed.

I doubt that.  That said, I have been wrong before.

29 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

And in a way strengthens the judiciary. 

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yeah... I know.  And my Mother, who I love, thinks Trump is just amazing.

I have to apologize to you, I did not mean to offend you in any way that first time I argued with her on Facebook. I thought she was just a Trumper friend. My bad. 

In today’s business news, Facebook just bought Giphy.  :crying:

But in bigger news, the US government just issued an order, a world-wide order, that no company can sell microchips, produced on any kind of US-made equipment, to Huawei without the permission of the US government, by way of a special license.

eta: the Giphy news is interesting because people are using more and more encryption. Facebook won’t be able to see what you are writing but since they will be able to track your Giphy search they will know the mood you are in, important tracking information for advertisers and others.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's the ballgame Mex. Our country, even if people don't really understand or agree with it, has always been right to center right. Anything to the left of it is activist. 

But those people walking around protesting being terroists with guns despite their elected officials telling them they must stay home by law are just patriots.

Believe in it all you want, you're not wrong to do so. But believing in something doesn't make it happen, especially when more aggressive people believe in something else. 

FTFY, these guys just shut down a legislature, lets call them what they are.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The night is dark and full of stupidity!!! 

Stick to your self-assigned character when using quotes.  "No man is free. Only children and fools think elsewise."

Now, I haven't looked at the publication for years and years, and when I did way back when, it was for the fun read "The Krugman Truth Squad". But I sort of had an idea somewhere in the back of my head that National Review, while bad, wasn't crazy. 

Then, today, on Twitter, someone linked this piece and I have to ask: is this representative for their level of contribution these days? If so ... man, the US is screwed.

With all the doom and gloom, you are missing the bigger picture.

The American Empire has survived it's Civil War, risen (reluctantly) to its apex position during two world wars, it has bested the Soviet Union in the Cold War. It even outlived Fidel Castro.

That it's gonna be brought to its knees by Donald fucking Trump and his motley crew of half and lackwits is kinda funny. I mean, I could go into details and rip on soulless Barbie and her husband human Ken doll as senior political advisers, the Cali Vampire named Miller and so on and so forth. You just have to think of what historians in a few hundred years will be writing about this period. It makes me wish for a TARDIS for realz. I don't want to travel to far off planets and such, just 200 years or so into the future, and straight into a library (yes, I am assuming there'll still be libraries with books) and a book on Modern American History.

As for the last thread. Ty and DMC obsessing about Baseball kinda makes me feel better about me sitting in front of my PC and watch Chess live streams. There's limits to what I can watch without fallins asleep.

Archived