Watch, Watched, Watching: What Now?

Ramsay B.

AMC Networks Acquires Rights to the Iconic Works of Anne Rice

https://www.amc.com/talk/2020/05/amc-networks-acquires-rights-to-the-iconic-works-of-anne-rice

AMC Networks announced today that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Anne Rice’s major literary works, The Vampire Chronicles series and The Lives of the Mayfair Witches series, encompassing 18 titles, including such beloved and celebrated works as Interview With The Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned, and The Witching Hour.

AMC Networks will hold the comprehensive rights for this world-renowned and globally coveted intellectual property to develop for its own television networks and streaming services under the AMC Studios umbrella, as well as external partner licensing, with Anne Rice and son Christopher Rice serving as executive producers on all series and films. Together, The Vampire Chronicles and The Lives of the Mayfair Witches series have sold more than 150 million copies worldwide.

I am into Season 3 of Black Sails and it's going pretty fast. Love the scenes shot at sea, the scenes at the brothel tend to drag a little for me. I was getting a little SOA vibe between Capt Flint and Jax Teller. 

Spoiler

The rebel who is really just trying to take his gang legit, whose every plan seems to fall just short because someone doesn't trust him, betrays him or doesn't see his vision.

But Black Sails avoided that comparison from continuing by the fantastic ending of S2 and start of S3. 

Spoiler

When Flint and Vane finally joined forces I was like well fuck yeah, this should have happened last season.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

I am into Season 3 of Black Sails and it's going pretty fast. Love the scenes shot at sea, the scenes at the brothel tend to drag a little for me. I was getting a little SOA vibe between Capt Flint and Jax Teller. 

Reveal hidden contents

The rebel who is really just trying to take his gang legit, whose every plan seems to fall just short because someone doesn't trust him, betrays him or doesn't see his vision.

But Black Sails avoided that comparison from continuing by the fantastic ending of S2 and start of S3. 

Hide contents

When Flint and Vane finally joined forces I was like well fuck yeah, this should have happened last season.

Told ya you'd get one of the best episodes of T.V. ever. 

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

White Lines, which was most watched show on Netflix UK as far as I can tell... is absolute garbage. 

I made it through about 3 episodes and stalled. Alex's court speech comparing ravers to suffragettes was probably about my breaking point. It feels like the writers spent a vacation partying in Ibiza and it was the greatest experience of their life. I don't get the glorifying of it. Somewhere buried in this series is a potential for an intriguing series, but the writers are their own worst enemies. I mean, Zoe's videochats with her psychiatrist are such a ham-fisted means of getting the viewer into her head.

I'm two episodes into Netflix's dogumentay, Dogs. Love it so far. The episode with Aymer and his friends trying to get Zeus out of Syria was fantastic. Love, love, love Zeus.

22 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I made it through about 3 episodes and stalled. Alex's court speech comparing ravers to suffragettes was probably about my breaking point. It feels like the writers spent a vacation partying in Ibiza and it was the greatest experience of their life. I don't get the glorifying of it. Somewhere buried in this series is a potential for an intriguing series, but the writers are their own worst enemies. I mean, Zoe's videochats with her psychiatrist are such a ham-fisted means of getting the viewer into her head.

I think you are spot on with your last comment and that really bothered me as well. They couldn’t think of a good way to verbalise what Zoe is thinking so they used this device to make it absolutely obvious to the audience.

The show is total trash, mixing in self serious darker elements with comical violence and gratuitous sex scenes that serve no purpose. 

And the writing and script is so noticeably bad as well. Many of the lines feel like they are written by someone in school or by someone whose first language is not English. 
For instance, is the best nickname ‘Boxer’ could come up with really ‘Harpoon Girl’? And why is his name Boxer anyway?

My other half loves the show though so clearly there is an audience.

Saw Amazon's Upload. Great show. Only problem with it really was they are 20 minute episodes and the whole first season went really fast. Binged it in just 2 nights.

Good characters, excellent premise. Best thing about is they don't just show you what's going on in the Upload setting the show's main focus is on. They explore the lives of the service workers who help manage the Upload, in and out of work. (The show seems to be set around 2030 in the U.S.) They also explore this area of the Upload that is for people who couldn't afford to get in the more luxurious area of the Upload.

Probably should have added. An Upload is a virtual world where dead people are uploaded to live a life there after they pass, similar to the Black Mirror episode "San Junipero."

12 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Saw Amazon's Upload. Great show. Only problem with it really was they are 20 minute episodes and the whole first season went really fast. Binged it in just 2 nights.

Good characters, excellent premise. Best thing about is they don't just show you what's going on in the Upload setting the show's main focus is on. They explore the lives of the service workers who help manage the Upload, in and out of work. (The show seems to be set around 2030 in the U.S.) They also explore this area of the Upload that is for people who couldn't afford to get in the more luxurious area of the Upload.

Probably should have added. An Upload is a virtual world where dead people are uploaded to live a life there after they pass, similar to the Black Mirror episode "San Junipero."

Hmm, sounds interesting, i’ll give it a try.

I am finally catching up on American Gods S2. Its not great, and a definite decline from the first season, but its still enjoyable enough. I don’t think it worked well as a weekly watch (hence why i dropped it at the time).

The loss of Easter and the original Media was very disappointing

20 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

We finished it last night and really enjoyed it. Had some genuine funny moments while also being quite clever. Looking forward to season 2.

I realised that White Lines is written and created by the same guy who made Money Heist which now seems bloody obvious. They both share the same childish writing that doesn’t seem to translate into English well at all, and just overall nonsensical idiocy.

Its a shame because White Lines has a couple of very good actors in it, the lead Zoe has star quality.

But I have told my other half I am done with the show. On top of all the crappy lines everyone comes out with the way it treats its main character, like she’s on a voyage of discovery, able to do anything and shag anyone without consequences is pure shit chick lit. This show should be thrown into the sea.

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I realised that White Lines is written and created by the same guy who made Money Heist which now seems bloody obvious. They both share the same childish writing that doesn’t seem to translate into English well at all, and just overall nonsensical idiocy.

Its a shame because White Lines has a couple of very good actors in it, the lead Zoe has star quality.

But I have told my other half I am done with the show. On top of all the crappy lines everyone comes out with the way it treats its main character, like she’s on a voyage of discovery, able to do anything and shag anyone without consequences is pure shit chick lit. This show should be thrown into the sea.

So would you say you are now drawing a white line in the sand to not have to watch the show anymore? :P

Finished the final season of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power which I loved. All the feels! I'm not crying, you're crying. Also figured out that I'd actually kinda missed a season of Agents of SHIELD (though I imagine I knew it existed at the time and was just waiting for it to be available on a service I had access to) so now I'm starting season 6, always a nice surprise to find there's a bunch of unwatched episodes available for a show you like.

18 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Can’t wait to watch.

I was looking for something mindless and undemanding to watch last night and noticed that NowTV had added Fast and Furious: Hobbs and Shaw which sounded like it should fit those criteria well. It was completely ludicrous, longer than it needed to be and featuring some self-indulgent cameos but for a dumb action movie it was entertaining. It's not a surprise that Jason Statham and The Rock are well suited to the action movie genre but I thought Vanessa Kirby was also good in it (although it does strain credulity a bit to suggest she grew up at the same time as Jason Statham).

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

We're almost finished with The Great. It's hilarious and fucked up. I enjoy it immensely. 

Just  finished the 5th episode. It is terrific. I hear the King of Sweden will be making an appearance. Looking forward to it.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

Just  finished the 5th episode. It is terrific. I hear the King of Sweden will be making an appearance. Looking forward to it.

That's episode 8. We just finished it. Really funny episode.

Just finished Black Sails. Really good series, better than I had expected. There were a lot of times where I felt it was S.O.A all over again but it was better acted, better written, better visuals and had a better ending. The ending left you to wonder if a certain person did go to a certain place, have to decide for yourself. One other I did enjoy was the inclusion of so many actual people and events from that era including Mary Reed and the jolly roger in the end.

26 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Just finished Black Sails. Really good series, better than I had expected. There were a lot of times where I felt it was S.O.A all over again but it was better acted, better written, better visuals and had a better ending. The ending left you to wonder if a certain person did go to a certain place, have to decide for yourself. One other I did enjoy was the inclusion of so many actual people and events from that era including Mary Reed and the jolly roger in the end.

Glad to hear you finished it and liked it overall.

I think you can argue that three of the four seasons are uneven at times, but that's because some story lines are just better than others, and there are several of them. But even at its worse, the acting is still great, the cinematography is amazing, as are the sets (go read up on how they shot the scenes at sea, pretty great stuff) and the stunt work is incredible. 

Black Sails will probably never get the credit it deserves, but season 2 is about as good as T.V. gets. And frankly, doing a show about pirates, that dedicated to accuracy and realness, will probably not happen again for a good while.

Archived