Watch, Watched, Watching: What Now?

Ramsay B.

Finished the last two episodes of season 3 of Killing Eve tonight.  Not sure what the point of this season was...

After that watched the first episode of Quiz.  That was quite enjoyable.

Had another pleasant experience watching Harley Quinn this weekend. Still surprised by this show.

Also saw the season finale of Rick & Morty. Pretty disappointing in my view. Didn't like the place where it all ended. A bit of a letdown after the mostly excellent run of the past couple of weeks.

Also finally had time to ponder The Great a little bit more. I have recommended it to a few people in the meantime so that is always a good sign. While I'm still not enamored by the season finale and find certain characters quite weak, I do love how defiantly this period show is about the present.

To a certain extent all period drama's are about the present (e.g. the popularity of nostalgia drugs like Downton Abbey in the Brexit era), but The Great manages to turn that "vice" (for lack of a better word) into a virtue by just being so blatant about it.

I watched the first couple episodes of Fortitude and I was not be impressed. It feels like a high-budget knock-off of a bunch of other, better shows. It does have a crazy good cast though. Has anyone watched it? Is it worth sticking with?

37 minutes ago, Fez said:

I watched the first couple episodes of Fortitude and I was not be impressed. It feels like a high-budget knock-off of a bunch of other, better shows. It does have a crazy good cast though. Has anyone watched it? Is it worth sticking with?

Not really. It went completely off the rails after the first season. 

On 5/30/2020 at 11:16 AM, SpaceChampion said:

The Lisa Kudrow storyline and all that follows from it is weirdly out of place though.  I don't get why it's part of the show.

Ok I figured it out.  She's a Scranton Strangler.

Starting watching 'the Dragon Prince' with my kid since we finished 'Avatar' (the real one, not the Cameron garbage). So far, it's pretty good for a kids show which makes sense given that the creator was the head writer on Avatar. 

18 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Well I reached season 11 of the Simpsons. It is worse than I ever imagined. 

Season 3-8 was the peak I would say.

Man, if you think that season 11 is bad, I dare you to watch anything after season 20. That's dreck :p 

19 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Man, if you think that season 11 is bad, I dare you to watch anything after season 20. That's dreck :p 

It's painful to watch most episodes past season ten, and I think I am the same age as the show.

The Halloween episodes are fine though, I guess. 

Still, I cherish my younger years, where they'd play two random episodes each day and they ended just before my parents got home. I wasn't allowed to watch the show. Muhahahahahaha!  

I gave Doom Patrol a shot, since I'm keeping that DC Universe subscription going until the season of Harley Quinn is done. I couldn't get into it though. Alan Tudyk was a lot of fun, and all the actors were doing a good job, but it just didn't click for me at all.

Also watched the movie Tank Girl for the first time in 25 years. What a dumb, fun thing that is.

Just finished The Plot Against America. I should go dig up the thread but I thought it was great. Not really surprising coming from David Simon. Very timely too, I probably would have enjoyed it a little more if the future of american democracy wasn't up in the air. 

On 6/3/2020 at 4:35 PM, Luzifer's right hand said:

I watched season 1-10 it in about 2 months which might be the reason for my strong reaction. I'm not finishing season 11.

Perhaps it is better to preserve your sanity :) Look at what happened to poor @Tywin et al. who kept watching faithfully :P

On 6/3/2020 at 1:57 PM, Tywin et al. said:

It's painful to watch most episodes past season ten, and I think I am the same age as the show.

The Halloween episodes are fine though, I guess. 

Still, I cherish my younger years, where they'd play two random episodes each day and they ended just before my parents got home. I wasn't allowed to watch the show. Muhahahahahaha!  

Even the Halloween stuff is not good anymore I feel. They are usually the best of a poor bunch, but being the least smelliest turd doesn't really change their "turdiness" 

57 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Perhaps it is better to preserve your sanity :) Look at what happened to poor @Tywin et al. who kept watching faithfully :P

Even the Halloween stuff is not good anymore I feel. They are usually the best of a poor bunch, but being the least smelliest turd doesn't really change their "turdiness" 

It hasn't been good in a long time. But it's the one seasonal episode I will watch. Outside of a few random episodes, I'm not sure I've watched much in at least 15 years, and that's probably being generous. 

The Wailing is indeed really good. It remained with me for several days after the initial viewing. I think I posted about it a couple years back. And now, thanks to your post, I've forgotten what I originally came here to post about. 

Archived