Watch, Watched, Watching: What Now?

Ramsay B.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:20 AM, Triskele said:

Quite a ways through S1 of Hannibal and definitely enjoying it.  MM has quite the presence throughout. 

Toggling between this and S2 of Money Heist.  I only now understand (or think that I do) that Money Heist is broken up in a bit of an unorthodox way where what felt like S1 and S2 on Netflix was really just S1, so by that note I think I'm in effect on S3 but technically S2.

Saw that had dropped on Netflix and was pondering watching it. Is it very gross? I'm a bit squeamish about cannibalism and that's why I haven't already watched it. I've heard great things about it and I don't doubt it is excellent television.

On 6/14/2020 at 11:23 AM, Nictarion said:

Just finished The Vast of Night. Loved it. Very impressive for a micro-budget film. 

I just finished it as well. Almost dropped it in the first ten minutes or so, the pace of dialogue was practically inhumane, but glad I stuck with it.

On another note, I'm on the verge of dropping Billions. I don't now what happened, if they changed the showrunner or purged the writers' room or what, but this season has been ass. 

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Saw that had dropped on Netflix and was pondering watching it. Is it very gross? I'm a bit squeamish about cannibalism and that's why I haven't already watched it. I've heard great things about it and I don't doubt it is excellent television.

There's a lot of people not realizing that they're eating people. I wouldn't say it's too graphic, it was a network show. I can think of one uh... murder display that stuck with me, but not because of cannibalism. 

42 minutes ago, RumHam said:

There's a lot of people not realizing that they're eating people. I wouldn't say it's too graphic, it was a network show. I can think of one uh... murder display that stuck with me, but not because of cannibalism. 

Thanks, I'll probably watch then. Hard to resist with it right there on Netflix.

31 minutes ago, Triskele said:

What.  The Fuck.  Just.  Happened.  

He's also great in that Ed Helms comedy Ceder Rapids where he plays a character who "Is a huge fan of the HBO original program 'The Wire'"" and at one point does an omar impression. 

59 minutes ago, RumHam said:

He's also great in that Ed Helms comedy Ceder Rapids where he plays a character who "Is a huge fan of the HBO original program 'The Wire'"" and at one point does an omar impression. 

Regarding Da 5 Bloods: I usually don't mind a lot of violence in movies, but that was, to put it mildly, gratuitous.  Doubt I'll ever be watching it again, but parts of it were definitely interesting.

Have since started a rewatch of Bosch (finally).  Already halfway through season 2. 

Last week I rewatched Forever.  I'd been waiting what felt like forever for it to come up on a Netflix or Prime, but it never did and when I was searching for it I saw that it was only $5 for HD on Amazon so I went ahead and bought it.  It had been long enough that I had forgotten how it ended, enjoyed that quite a bit.  Wish it would have gotten a few more seasons.  I do like me some non-vampire immortals.

On 6/6/2020 at 7:54 PM, Ramsay B. said:

I love The Wailing. Some of it was confusing, but it stuck with me for a few days too. YouTube really comes in handy for that kinda stuff. I watched a few helpful videos that made things clearer. 

You guys see Burning? Another South Korean gem that makes you think, and has a few different interpretations. Excellent movie.

Yeah, come to think of it, I might've done the same thing. Youtube's been a great resource when one is fresh from a viewing and needs to scratch an itch. It has only failed to me the one time - and that's for the ending of Mulholland Drive... goddamn David Lynch.

I haven't seen Burning. Will put it on the watch list, thanks.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:53 PM, Ramsay B. said:

I enjoyed The Vast of Night as well. I watched it after reading Tywin rip it on here, so I was well prepared for the slow burn. The 2 leads were great, loved the atmosphere and I liked how it all ended.

My interest also piqued when I read Tywin's comment. I took it as a note not to watch it high, inebriated or both - all good I'm sure. Enjoyed it. Took a while to get into and it almost felt like it was one shot at times.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:46 AM, l2 0 5 5 said:

Just finished Riverdale S4 and my god what an absurd season of television, yet I couldn't look away. I'm almost disappointed they're coming back for a fifth. 

Riverdale is my comfort blanket. Alas, very little time for comfort-blanketing lately. I'm about three eps into S4 - need a duvet day to finish it off.

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Regarding Da 5 Bloods: I usually don't mind a lot of violence in movies, but that was, to put it mildly, gratuitous.  Doubt I'll ever be watching it again, but parts of it were definitely interesting.

The odd thing about it was that I don't remember the first half of the film being hugely violent. Then it suddenly became very violent indeed. As I get older, I'm more inclined to close my eyes through the gory bits; I didn't have a chance here. 

Spoiler

Spike Lee may have invented Chekhov's landmine. 

Still ruminating over whether the violence was gratuitous or not.

Spoiler

I found the death of Eddie pretty shocking - the violence later on including the death of Paul seemed like more typical Hollywood film violence. 

I watched season one of Vagrant Queen (from SyFy, which means highly likely it is cancelled soon due to low ratings and being put into a time slot for its death spiral).  It is actually a pretty fun show.  Scratches the itch for light-hearted space opera with scene chewing villains.  I appreciate none of the side characters are simplistic -- even the Red Shirts have personality.

I'm liking it more than Killjoys actually, which I enjoyed plenty.  Hope this gets additional seasons.

Based on a comic book, I'm presuming it's Canadian due to one of the characters coming from Manitoba, and their ship is called the Winnipeg.  First season wraps up the main season storyline, so it's ok to watch even if it is cancelled.

100% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with an 81% audience score.  Syfy just ought to become a streaming channel so shows like this can build word of mouth on its own time instead of whatever it is they're doing in their corporate offices between lines of coke.

Apparently all the writers and directors were women.

Mostly caught up with Endeavour - just season 7 to go.

Almost finished Britannia season 2, one episode to go. Not a bad show albeit not a massive amount happens. The Roman, Vespasian, was killed despite in real life becoming an emperor. Perhaps to suggest the show isn’t bound to history?  We see Aulus and Lucius at Christ’s crucifixion in a flashback. After, will watch Pompeii, Gladiator and The Last Kingdom.

Finished Daredevil season 3, which was good albeit like most of the Netflix mcu shows, drags a bit. Same with Punisher season 2 which I’m 4 eps into. Though the police station fight was good.

Finished Gangs of London. Overall was enjoyable though a lot of the fights seem overly choreographed. Be interesting to see where they go with season 2.

Finished Star Trek Discovery (liked it mostly), and my next TOS episode will be Balance of Terror. I think TOS will suffer due to constantly finding alternate Earths. Watching it on blue-ray so a lot of the models have been replaced with cgi.

Rewatched the Bumblebee film. Amazing what an improvement it is over the Bay Transformer films.

On 6/16/2020 at 4:48 PM, Martell Spy said:

It is one of the most gruesome shows to air on TV.  It is a very artfully done, but it revels in its grossness.

42 minutes ago, Lord of Rhinos said:

It is one of the most gruesome shows to air on TV.  It is a very artfully done, but it revels in its grossness.

They really pushed the boundaries on what you can get away with on free to air TV. I'm not sure they'd get away with it again.

I've been enjoying space force quite a bit but after episode 5 it feels like they are fitting 10 episodes into 5 by skipping episodes. It's really distracting to the point I've went back to see if I've missed episodes. For instance one astronaut goes from pilot to leading a space mission without there ever being a scene where they are offered the position. It's weird.

I finished the Last Kingdom. I had a few issues with the last two episodes and they also left with some concern for the next season. I do still think it was a great season and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Spoiler

I sincerely hope that Aelswith won’t wake up for the next season. She has served her purpose, had character development and there’s really nothing left for her to do with all the new characters introduced. Between Aethelfled, Edward, the Queen, her sketchy father, Aldhelm and the child actors the Wessex plot is perfectly covered. 

I had high hopes that Brida would die and she would complete her character by being consumed with rage and revenge which would be the demise of both her and her baby. But nope. Again, I hope she’ll not come back or quickly in season 5 because there’s nothing left for her to do, the only purpose she served this season was linking the two Dane lines together and introducing the S... uhh. Sigtryggr? Maybe. With him, Haesten and Stiorra we have a full Dane crew as well and no place for Brida and her revenge loop. 

I was a little conflicted about Eadith’s role in the siege of Winchester. I understand that the storyline with her brother had to come full circle and I loved the ambiguity of his denying to know her. I’m not sure why she cooperated with Haesten later or why she didn’t try to escape him and hide on her own. That bit made little sense. But I liked that for once she couldn’t pull a successful badass female character stunt because reality and shit. I really really appreciated that. Overall, I like the character, she brought an interesting color to the Wessex crew. And I hope she’ll be romantically involved with Finan later on, because they are just adorable. 

while I like Stiorra and her thing with Sigtrgsftxtstafst, her whole I want to find myself and my Dane part felt a bit too overdone and too 2020. But sure of course everything will be written in sync with the time its actually written in and that’s okay for something written in 2020 as well as 1939. However, young Uhtred’s return made absolutely no sense. He didn’t do anything other than be cute with his family. That’s cute enough, it’s just a bit absurd that he’d just go there for moral support. He could have brought some information at least. 

Other than that I enjoyed the last two episodes and the rest of the season was lovely too. 

On 6/1/2020 at 5:00 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Still watching Gilmore Girls because I’m boring and it’s so bingable. Lorelai is an awful person. 

And. I watched Josh Gad’s Reunited Apart YouTube series yesterday in which he arranged a long awaited Lord of the Rings zoom reunion. May I just say, it made me cry and the world got a tad more beautiful? Highly recommend to all who had ever been fans of the film trilogy. It melted my heart. :wub: 

And tonight is the season finale of Killing Eve. I have a feeling it’s going to be ghastly. 

I've got this in my pocket for as soon as I get a whole uninterrupted hour to watch it. I have a day off next week so hope to do it then. 

On 6/2/2020 at 1:28 PM, Fez said:

I watched the first couple episodes of Fortitude and I was not be impressed. It feels like a high-budget knock-off of a bunch of other, better shows. It does have a crazy good cast though. Has anyone watched it? Is it worth sticking with?

I'm a parasitologist by trade so I absolutely LOVED this. The first season is definitely worth watching. The second one is ok. The third is nuts and should probably be avoided.

On 6/14/2020 at 7:23 PM, Nictarion said:

Just finished The Vast of Night. Loved it. Very impressive for a micro-budget film. 

We really liked this. I was just sorry I didn't get to see it at the cinema as the cinematography and sound would probably be amazing in a bigger setting. Re the dialogue at the start, it reminded me a lot of Primer - they talk 90 to the dozen in that too and it's intentionally overloading for the audience.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, Underfoot said:

Starting Little Fires Everywhere. Two episodes in so far and very excited to see where it goes - there have been enough hints at backstories that I'm hooked.

I enjoyed the book and will probably binge watch this at some point.

We zoomed through McMillions on Sunday. One of those funny and outrageous docs that you can't stop watching.

Is anyone in the UK watching Bake Off: The Professionals? As a certified BJCP beer judge and a master's level tutor, I find the feedback aspect of this show fascinating. I'm always trying to get better at giving great feedback because it is so important. The two judges in this show are so hard to read with their feedback. They get equally animated for good stuff as they do bad stuff. I swear that if you watched it with the sound off you wouldn't be able to tell if they were giving positive or negative feedback. It's so weird. I can't look away. The contestants are always trying to build massive structures that fall apart and smash at the last minute. Last night someone was spraying their partner in the face with freeze spray because their face happened to be next to the piece they wanted to stick, and they just said SORRY ABOUT YOUR FACE! and continued. The whole thing is fraught with peril. I love this show.

Archived