Watch, Watched, Watching: What Now?

Ramsay B.

On 6/27/2020 at 5:31 PM, dbunting said:

Love the show, just got caught up this week on the previous seasons. Have you watched all of them, because plenty of grouse and squirrels have been taken with the bow, plus it offers mental security. Keep watching S6 and let me know what you think.

I just finished season 6 and haven't watched any of the other seasons yet.  It seemed to me that most of the land animals were caught with snares.  Yet, the bow hunters had significant problems.*  Regarding the mental security, the "bear bangers" and/or a hatchet could provide that.  YMMV

One contestant injured a squirrel with an arrow.  Then, the squirrel bit her before she could slit its throat.   Also, one contestant killed a moose.  Yet, even though he ate a lot of moose meat, he was still "starving" because that meat had no fat and in turn provided him with no energy.  Also, he was constantly at war with wolverines in order to protect his food store.  I can't count the times I yelled, "Put your food in your shelter!" at my screen.

I finished watching McMillions. There might be a bit that could have been cut from the 6 episodes here and there but it did keep bringing in new twists - including the finale where have the interviewees seem to have their own claim about who the original informant was.

Yesterday I was scrolling through the movies section on NowTV and noticed Inside Man 2 : Most Wanted. I really enjoyed the original film so was dubious about a belated sequel with no Spike Lee and none of the original cast but was curious enough to watch it. It definitely doesn't live up to the original but it was watchable. Some of the attempts to link it to the original film without showing any of the original characters are a bit contrived. The heist was definitely reminiscent of the one in the first film (even the characters comment on this) but with a few twists thrown in. I think the biggest plot hole was that the real Federal Reserve surely had better security than is shown here. Replacing Denzel/Clive Owen/Chiwetel Ejoifor/Christopher Plummer/Jodie Foster with a bunch of TV actors is definitely a step down but they did a decent enough job.

The last episode of Harley Quinn came out yesterday. Brilliant show and a magnificent final episode. I really hope we get more episodes of the same quality in the future, but if it ends here, I don't think anyone will be unhappy. I have plugged this show before, but let me just do it once more, because the fact that the entire show is now out and people can binge it might prove an incentive to give it a shot. 

It's frankly the best thing on television I have seen in a long time. Not my genre at all, but the writing is just seamless. I still can't believe that a cartoon like this could contain the best rendition of human relationships that I have seen in any medium in a long time. Combine that with great animation, a loving respect for the source material and the over-the-top violence and it creates quite an extraordinary mix. Please do check it out, because we need higher quality tv to be rewarded! 

Aside from that I haven't watched anything else apart from Doom Patrol and I'm struggling with it. I gave it a shot because it was recommended in the Harley thread as another great DC Universe show but I'm very indifferent about it. I wonder whether there are people who can tell me when it gets good? I have seen two episode now and I'm more bored than anything else by it unfortunately. If those two are already among the top episodes, I'll be bailing.

Just watched a couple Ang Lee movies in succession. Completely unintentional mind you. I knew the first one was an Ang Lee film, but I had forgotten that the second one was also an Ang Lee film. The latter's been on my watch-list for some time, after my sister & BiL watched it and she suggested; 'You should watch it, it's a great story, I was balling my eyes out near the end' - OK sure, I'll line it up sometime.  

Gemini Man was forgettable fun. Could've been memorable fun with better writing. I know David Benioff gets a lot of flak for this, but there were a couple others who had writing credits for it. To that I wish Lee's long time collaborator, James Shamus, had been assigned to write this. One thing that drew me out of the film was some of the CGI action scenes. I understand it was originally shot at 120fps but then down converted to 24fps for 2D - it came across as stuttery at times. Very akin to how I felt when watching some of the CGI action scenes in Lee's Hulk (which I quite liked - apart from the glacial pacing depriving us of Hulk Smash time).         

Brokeback Mountain is a beautiful film, painted with real characters on a magnificent canvas. I would say this was Heath Ledger's finest role.  I didn't tear up near the end but it was definitely emotional. This could be Lee's best study of a (at the time & place) nonconformist relationship stretched over too many years, but I think the unfulfilled dance between Yu Shu Lien and Li Mu Bai in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon pips that by a smidgen.      

As an afterthought, I'm disappointed I didn't watch this back in 2005. Not that I couldn't watch it, but back then I only went to the cinemas among friends and family, and it was almost exclusively to action or comedy films. Even when released to home media I remember it being openly derided among some of my friends, particularly those brought up in religious households. Even up to recent times I know people who would drop 'Brokeback' as a slur, which is to predicate foreknowledge of the film ostensibly without necessarily having seen it. I stopped participating in organized religion decades ago but still keep a faith and adhere to the tenets conducive to getting along and appreciating all people.

Next up is Burning, subtitles and all. South Korean cinema seldom fails.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Tried watching S3 of Dark but I'm just not in the mood for something that serious and deep. Moved on to The Great. Correct choice as it's light, humorous and easy to watch.

It does require serious commitment. Trying to understand what’s happening / happened / will happen is a full time job

22 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Aside from that I haven't watched anything else apart from Doom Patrol and I'm struggling with it. I gave it a shot because it was recommended in the Harley thread as another great DC Universe show but I'm very indifferent about it. I wonder whether there are people who can tell me when it gets good? I have seen two episode now and I'm more bored than anything else by it unfortunately. If those two are already among the top episodes, I'll be bailing.

I also gave up after two episodes of Doom Patrol. I also loved Harley Quinn and am generally not a comics guy. Doom Patrol just isn't capturing at all that magic that HQ had for me.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

I also gave up after two episodes of Doom Patrol. I also loved Harley Quinn and am generally not a comics guy. Doom Patrol just isn't capturing at all that magic that HQ had for me.

It honestly feels like a CW show, only with the twist that the actors aren't as young and hot. Terrible effects as well. I guess since our profiles seem broadly similar (non-comic fans loving Harley Quinn), I should quit while I'm ahead. 

25 minutes ago, Fez said:

I really liked Doom Patrol, I was very much into it until 'The Boys' diverted my attention.

But for some reason I never really bothered to go back. For all its good writing and humorous performances, it's central story just wasn't all that interesting. However, I know if it was on Netflix or something I would have gotten through it rather quickly.

Just finished the director's cut of Doctor Sleep. Big improvement on a movie I already really liked. I like that HBO Max has multiple versions of movies. I noticed that with Alien the other day. It's a shame most people will probably just play the theatrical version because that's the default. 

6 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

The Tudors. Luckily my memory of history from school is really bad so the show feels mostly new - although I'm sure that there's a fair bit here that's inaccurate but I'm enjoying it. On season 2. Shouldn't be long until all 4 years are done.

So is Hirst’s!

Eta: @Isis i was reading some reviews on the Luminaries and it seems there are a few significant departures from the book, particularly in the focus of the story and how it is relayed to the audience. Having not read the book I can’t really say whether these changes were good or bad but most reviews seem to think they were good choices. The author also seems to have been involved.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a32981258/luminaries-bbc-book/

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

i was reading some reviews on the Luminaries

There was one part I found particularly confusing.

Spoiler

On the night of the central murder, why did Anna run off to visit Crosbie in the middle of the night, and why did Emery get high then swim out to the Godspeed and hide in a box? Did that make any sense to you?

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

Trying to decide if I'm mentally prepared to get into the final season of Dark on Netflix.  

You should.  It's really good, and you should change your name to Triqueta to honor it.  :-P

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

Caught Drive, a Gosling film from a bit back which includes a few other names like Isaac, Christina Hendricks, and Walter White.  A bit hard to describe.  A bit of a violent crime film in LA that's pretty minimalist overall.  Gosling has remarkably few lines for a leading man in this one. 

Trying to decide if I'm mentally prepared to get into the final season of Dark on Netflix.  

Such a classic film! I have really vivid memories of seeing this at the pictures - partly because it was really packed and I was desperate to go to the loo but I was sat right at the closed end of a row and couldn't have gotten out without making 15 people stand up.

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Eta: @Isis i was reading some reviews on the Luminaries and it seems there are a few significant departures from the book, particularly in the focus of the story and how it is relayed to the audience. Having not read the book I can’t really say whether these changes were good or bad but most reviews seem to think they were good choices. The author also seems to have been involved.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a32981258/luminaries-bbc-book/

Ah, interesting, thank you. I watched the first episode of this at the weekend and it certainly looked as if the events had been shaken up/re ordered/skewed. It looked 'familiar' to me but I was waiting for the opening scene (or what I remembered was the opening scene) but it didn't arrive.

I love Drive. I usually watch it like once a year. The soundtrack is excellent too.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:39 PM, ithanos said:

Next up is Burning, subtitles and all. South Korean cinema seldom fails.

How’d it go?

14 hours ago, Heartofice said:

This is a horrible insult. Horrible 

:fencing:People have often said that I am lucky that dueling has been forbidden in my country :hat:

But honestly, based on the one CW show I have seen (First season of Arrow), it seems like an apt description. It's not as bad as the current day scenes in Arrow, but I found the flashbacks in that one far more compelling than what I have seen of Bore Patrol so far :p 

Archived