UK Politics: National shortage of incompetence pads

Which Tyler

48 minutes ago, Denvek said:

And even after driving up to Durham, he apparently wasn't self-isolating. And then after he recovered and went back to London, he drove up to Durham again.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/23/new-witnesses-cast-doubt-on-dominic-cummingss-lockdown-claims

If those sightings are correct then that does seem more damaging, his defenders have been trying to use the emergency childcare excuse but that's not going to cover apparent day trips. It sounds like exactly the sort of thing Dr Calderwood had to resign for.

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

So the people issues fines by the police can just ignore them?

Lawyer people on Twitter already saying they intend to use these ministerial tweets as evidence when defending people accused of lockdown breaches.

39 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

This is wonderful. Where is HOI when you need him? 

Probably formulating some questions about whether we can trust the eyewitnesses since we don't know how they voted in the Brexit referendum. If a Remainer sees Cummings outside of quarantine but no Leave supporters see him then did it really happen?

Any sightings of Cummings were probably taken with a telephoto lens that made it appear as if he was in Durham, but if you zoom in you can see he was actually in London.

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Shapps has now apparently told the press that the regulations are basically more just guidelines to follow if you can and feel like it.

Isn’t this a line from a Pirates of the Caribbean film?

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

Probably formulating some questions about whether we can trust the eyewitnesses since we don't know how they voted in the Brexit referendum. If a Remainer sees Cummings outside of quarantine but no Leave supporters see him then did it really happen?

Pfft, I’m no supporter of this government or Cummings or Johnson or the rest, but this is clearly all just manipulation through low camera angles

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Any sightings of Cummings were probably taken with a telephoto lens that made it appear as if he was in Durham, but if you zoom in you can see he was actually in London.

It's all those damn low angle shots!

On 5/23/2020 at 6:30 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Its got nothing to do with whether anyone is terrified of him.

I don't think anyone is going to deny there has been a co-ordinated campaign to get rid of him for a long time, he's hate figure number one and he's labelled as Boris' mastermind. I'm sure that fine upstanding citizen who phoned up the police when he saw DC in a car was doing it purely for the public interest.

Anyway, I think what DC has done was quite stupid, but possibly he had no other choice given how unpopular he is with other human beings, I don't think he should lose his job over it.
Just like I don't think Ferguson should have lost his job or role on SAGE over it. The difference with Ferguson is that he was breaking protocol to go and get his end away with some hot blonde (whilst also seemingly completely misunderstanding the science he himself had produced) whereas Cummings took a decision to get childcare for his children knowing he might not be able to look after them. 

I don't think anyone should be losing their jobs over these incidents. 

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

but possibly he had no other choice given how unpopular he is with other human beings, I don't think he should lose his job over it.

'Cummings was justified in breaking his own guidelines and potentially infecting loads of  people because he's such a bastard that he doesn't have any friends' is a taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake.

30 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

'Cummings was justified in breaking his own guidelines and potentially infecting loads of  people because he's such a bastard that he doesn't have any friends' is a taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake.

Thats quite a take on my take.

57 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don't think anyone is going to deny there has been a co-ordinated campaign to get rid of him for a long time, he's hate figure number one and he's labelled as Boris' mastermind. I'm sure that fine upstanding citizen who phoned up the police when he saw DC in a car was doing it purely for the public interest.

Anyway, I think what DC has done was quite stupid, but possibly he had no other choice given how unpopular he is with other human beings, I don't think he should lose his job over it.
Just like I don't think Ferguson should have lost his job or role on SAGE over it. The difference with Ferguson is that he was breaking protocol to go and get his end away with some hot blonde (whilst also seemingly completely misunderstanding the science he himself had produced) whereas Cummings took a decision to get childcare for his children knowing he might not be able to look after them. 

I don't think anyone should be losing their jobs over these incidents. 

If it turns out he wasnt actually isolating and was out and about as described by witnesses, and went back up after the initial visit as is claimed. Should he resign then? 

Heart of Ice is the only thing stopping this thread being nothing but a left wing circle jerk, I’m glad he posts here. I understand he’s gonna get pounced on but when there’s a whole string of posts doing nothing but making fun it’s not all that constructive. Some people go to the beach and they shouldn’t, but entirely separately, the press absolutely love using  zoomed in low camera angles to make the situation look way worse, you’re not paying attention if you don’t think that’s a thing.

And I've agreed with him many times when he spoke sense, and defended him when people have attacked the poster rather than the post. However he is talking shit about Cummings. It's a catastrophic and hypocritical fuck up of the highest order and for such a 'master strategist' its absolutely joyful to behold. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

If it turns out he wasnt actually isolating and was out and about as described by witnesses, and went back up after the initial visit as is claimed. Should he resign then? 

I think if those reports keeping coming then it's going to be hard for the government to keep backing him. Him going up to Durham to self isolate so someone could look after his kids if it got bad was technically within guidelines and could on some level be justified. This other stuff not so much.

But as I said, I don't think anyone should be fired for this stuff, it doesn't make sense to lose people in important positions during a crisis. Not having Ferguson on SAGE is a loss, even if his models might end up being wrong. I know nobody here will agree but Cummings would be a loss, he was giving the right people a kick up the arse.

At this point it looks like he will have to go, senior Torys are coming out against him, even if it's just those with prior grievances against him, and there is radio silence from others. I'm sure he will be back in some form as Boris understands how much of his own success has come due to Cummings.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Him going up to Durham to self isolate so someone could look after his kids if it got bad was technically within guidelines

It wasn't within guidelines, even technically. That's just a lie certain government ministers are now trying to promote, contradicting their own guidance out of political desperation. It's not fooling anyone except those eager to find an excuse.

The point is moot anyway, since we now know that's not what Cummings was doing anyway.

Archived