UK Politics: National shortage of incompetence pads

Which Tyler

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Cummings going in and pointing out their incompetence and lack of ability to get things done might have more to do with it. 

Civil servants have elected bosses. Crappy bosses always blame their workers for management stupidity. 

The God Squad are coming for him now. 

Bishops turn on Boris Johnson for defending Dominic Cummings

More than a dozen bishops questioned the integrity of the prime minister following his press conference on Sunday, in which he refused to acknowledge that Cummings had breached lockdown rules when he travelled with his infected wife and their child to Durham.

The bishops said Johnson’s defence was “risible”, that he had “no respect for the people”, “lacked integrity”, and risked undermining the trust of the public. Pete Broadbent, the bishop of Willesden, tweeted: “Johnson has now gone the full Trump.”

The first bishop to go public in criticising the prime minister was Nick Baines, the bishop of Leeds, who told the Observer: “People across the country have sacrificed hugely in order to obey both the spirit and word of government advice. People have missed being with family members who have died. But, now we learn that there is one rule for the people and another for No 10 and the elite.”

After Johnson’s comments on Sunday, Baines tweeted: “The question now is: do we accept being lied to, patronised and treated by a PM as mugs? The moral question is not for Cummings – it is for PM and ministers/MPs who find this behaviour acceptable. What are we to teach our children? (I ask as a responsible father.)”

#CumGate 

As much as Johnson and his backers would like, this story isn't going away.  Instead of shutting it down, Johnson's decision to front the live TV update last night has poured a few gallons of petrol on the fire. He claimed that a lot of the stuff that had been written about Dom and his movements was false.

Well, over to you, Her Majesty's Constabulary....

Durham police to be asked to investigate Dominic Cummings

The police and crime commissioner for Durham is to formally write to the chief constable of the force he oversees asking for an investigation into Dominic Cummings.

Steve White, the acting police, crime and victims’ commissioner for Durham, will on Monday ask the force to investigate all the claims about the prime minister’s principal adviser’s time in the Durham area during the coronavirus lockdown and establish the facts.

Cummings, along with his wife and young child, travelled 260 miles from his London home to his parents’ farm in Durham in late March. They say they feared they may be incapacitated by coronavirus and thus struggle to look after their young child. Many view that as a breach of the lockdown rules to stay home and have called for Cummings to resign or be sacked as chief aide to Boris Johnson.

The disclosures came out of a joint investigation by the Guardian and Daily Mirror that has rocked the government since details were published last Friday.

The letter to Durham’s chief constable, Jo Farrell, will ask her to look at all the claims about Cummings’s time in Durham. That includes an alleged sighting of him in Barnard Castle, some distance away from his parents’ home.

The letter will say an inquiry is necessary to maintain public confidence in the force.

59 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

"The role of a Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) is to be the voice of the people in policing, and to hold the Chief Constable to account for how he/she discharges their functions. The aim of all PCCs is to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient police service within their force area."

So, no.

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Think you probably misunderstood my point.

No, I think you were not quite aware what you said/suggested, and its logical implications.

But let's break down your post a bit.

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I wonder how many people down Cummings road voted Leave? Hmmm.

Again, it's basically the same whataboutism smokescreen, you tried to use on the deepstate NHS Labour criticism. It was ridiculous then, it's even more so now. But for the slow learners let's go thru that again.

Cummings violated the lockdown restrictions his own Goverment set in place. We can agree on that objective fact, right?

Now then, does it matter whether he was reported by Leaver or Remain voters?

Obviously, it shouldn't. You claim to be a lawyer, if I am not mistaken. Equality before the law should ring a bell then, I suppose/hope. But, ok. you chose that hill to die on, so be it.

Since you brought up the Leave vs. Remain voter thing, it must have been of some consequence for you. So let's assume for the mere sake of the argument, he was reported by Remainers. So why would that disputable assumption be of any consequence? The complaints about Classic Dom are meaningless, because they came from remainers because, why exactly? They should be ignored because, they were made by mean spirited remainers, who were just out to get a revered far right General in the cultural war (aka Brexit), is as pathetic as it sounds, but that's the very core of your argument.

You know what the really funny bit of it is? You don't have to worry, the UK is set on a collision towards a no deal Brexit anyway. You don't need classic Dom for that. Nobody will take away your dystopian paradise from you. I've said it right after the referendum, no deal, is the only outcome with some logical consistency to it. But, I will explain it to you again, like real slowly why that is. It's not desirable, but anything else simply made no sense on a mere logical level. The UK's fantasy Brexit, of getting a better deal outside the club, than any club member, was always that; a mere fantasy. Close alignment to the EU, thus accepting EU regulations as a mere rule taker, instead of being at the adults table, kinda negates the point of Brexit. Those negotiation positions are pretty much irreconcilable. The EU will insist on level playing field rules, to avoid the UK undercutting its social, legal and enviromental standards. If the UK accepts those, that makes US-UK trade deal less likely. And again, what's the point in Brexit then? The pet argument, the Canadians didn't need to sign up to those is also rather hollow. CETA does not cover services for once, so also really not what the UK wants/needs. Then Canada is rather far away, while the UK is in relatively close proximity to the EU. Migration to and from Canada is a minor issue (somewhat related to proximity), as in, there really weren't the numbers to push for something like that. In addition to the (insufficient) overarching trade deal, the UK also tries to get specific arrangements to get back into EU institutions thru the backdoor. The latest example trying to keep the unrestricted access to the EU criminal database, but without EUCJ ovesight. Which is a non-starter for obvious reasons. So you really don't need Classic Dom for your no-deal Brexit. You will get it by default.

On a Brexit note, unelected officials (advisors to the Goverment, anybody?) not being bound by the laws of men, I thought that was the bit you voted against. I'll give it a few days, before the irony of the classic Dom situation dawns on you.

39 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Dominic Cummings giving a press conference later. As a special advisor he isn't actually supposed to give press conferences and possibly might not be allowed, but he is doing it anyway.

He doesn't strike me as being a person to whom humility comes naturally - I wonder if he can possibly handle this without digging himself a deeper hole (at speed, with a bulldozer). 

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Dominic Cummings giving a press conference later. As a special advisor he isn't actually supposed to give press conferences and possibly might not be allowed, but he is doing it anyway.

This will be hilarious.

This should be him resigning, but he's allegedly taking questions afterwards, so probably not.

The idea that a special adviser is giving a press conference really sums up everything that's fucked up about this situation.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah so you actually did miss the point of my post. Thanks for clarifying 

Never said I was a lawyer btw,  no idea where you got that from

So what was the point of your post then? You invoked the remain voters in his street. I am all ears, and like really curious what your point supposedly was.

Well, there's only two outcomes for this press conference.

1. He falls to his sword and resigns. With some self-pity and crocodile tears about him just wanting to do what's best for his family.

2. He basically says, I will stay and fuck you, you whiny bitches. And he will invoke the meany remainers, who want to see him gone.

Normal outcome would be 1. But normal, ah, well, what is normal in the political discourse in the UK and the US, has become so relative.

Archived