Heresy 231 Alienarea Strikes Again

Black Crow

4 hours ago, alienarea said:

Maybe it's a spell that has been wrongly translated over time - instead of "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" it really is The Starks must always stay in Winterfell?"

Well it does have that perfect mix of cold clear nights and natural hot springs. Seems to me like someone did a poor job in marketing Winterfell. :D

17 hours ago, alienarea said:

Maybe it's a spell that has been wrongly translated over time - instead of "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" it really is The Starks must always stay in Winterfell?"

Up to a point. Not so much wrongly translated as misunderstood

There must always be a Stark Lord in Winterfell. Substitutes, whether younger brothers or family idiots won't do.

Actually, Stark prospects may be better if no Starks are left in Winterfell and you hide. Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon seem to be safe for the moment. That is why I was wondering if disguises fooled the old gods?

3 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Actually, Stark prospects may be better if no Starks are left in Winterfell and you hide. Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon seem to be safe for the moment. That is why I was wondering if disguises fooled the old gods?

Depend on whether the curse is intended to keep the lid on something

On 8/5/2020 at 6:37 PM, Black Crow said:

Depend on whether the curse is intended to keep the lid on something

In a long night (=Westeros winter) Winterfell is like a space station providing shelter to humans in a hostile environment.

Maybe this was granted to the last hero's offspring under the condition "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell"?

And the price he paid was getting sacrificed himself as in Bran's dream, feeding the Winterfell weirwood with his blood?

15 hours ago, alienarea said:

In a long night (=Westeros winter) Winterfell is like a space station providing shelter to humans in a hostile environment.

Maybe this was granted to the last hero's offspring under the condition "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell"?

And the price he paid was getting sacrificed himself as in Bran's dream, feeding the Winterfell weirwood with his blood?

Well, they did "help" him, the Last Hero that is. Whatever that help was saved his life. The detail in the tale that his sword broke makes me suspect he fought a white walker - or was surrounded much like Waymar Royce - and was killed, or at the very least maimed. Perhaps they ran out with fireballs like Leaf did when she saved Bran, Meera, Jojen, and Hodor outside the cave?

perhaps the stark in winterfell is simply a practicality, in that even if all other holdings fall and all other tarks die, there will be a fall-back point, from which they can recover. however, we know that winterfell can fall, both to storm and treachery, and the way they keep on repeating the line seems almost prophetic

15 hours ago, Lady Dyanna said:

In the show’s defense I’m pretty sure that even GRRM can’t remember all of his characters and/or plotlines anymore without copious notes. :D

You would assume it would be difficult if not impossible for a writer to keep track of all the characters they create, but I read something Diana Gabaldon once wrote that made me reconsider. She said something to the effect that she doesn’t forget any of her characters no more than she would forget one of her distant relatives.

5 hours ago, Melifeather said:

She said something to the effect that she doesn’t forget any of her characters no more than she would forget one of her distant relatives.

Hmmm. Guess it’s all about perspective. One of my Aunts lived on the other side of the country and had 7 kids. I struggle to remember the names of my first cousins most days. lol :D

19 hours ago, Melifeather said:

You would assume it would be difficult if not impossible for a writer to keep track of all the characters they create, but I read something Diana Gabaldon once wrote that made me reconsider. She said something to the effect that she doesn’t forget any of her characters no more than she would forget one of her distant relatives.

Everybody is different. I don't remember exactly how it was worded but I can recall GRRM saying that he relies a lot on Ran to keep track for him.

Anyone else here ever notice that Dawn is a rainbow? 

ETA. I was watching the sun set tonight and what I noticed is that through the the course of the day the horizon changes colors based on sun position/angle. At sunset and sunrise there is a rapid progression through all of the rainbow colors from white light at the time right before setting all the way to the complete dark prior to the start of dawn. Anyways.... there are SEVEN colors to the rainbow... same as the Faith of the Seven. And their seven crystals that refract the light into rainbow colors. Coincidentally, when you add in white light and the absence of light it changes the spectrum to have NINE divisions, same as the old gods. Now... Why would the old gods recognize 9 “colors” while the Faith of the 7 only recognizes, well... 7? Is this indicative that the Faith of the 7 does not accept the long night? Basically it omits the extremes at either side of the spectrum, complete darkness/cold and pure light/heat. I guess what I’m asking is maybe twofold....1.  Do the old gods represent the world WITH magic and the new ones the world without? And... Is GRRM following the laws of physics from our world to framework his laws of magic in the series? And 2. Does the Faith of the 7 realize that they have made this omission? Is this potentially significant to the idea that they are trying to erase trace of the dark night? And if so, why would they need to do that? 

One final question.... Was Jaime, in fact, the true hero of RR? What was involved with Aerys mass producing wildfire? (You often don’t see green in the sky except during a storm.... like the one that Bran sees gathered ahead of Cat and Ser Rodrick that they are unable to sense on the way towards Kings Landing. Cersei and Tyrion both eventually used the wildfire caches that Aerys left behind.... and made much more. Was the cost of that magic enough to trigger the Long Night? Something that Jaime unknowingly prevented by killing Aerys.

@The Snowfyre Chorus, You floated an idea with me maybe three years ago? I think you might be right. 

Archived