Heresy 231 Alienarea Strikes Again

Black Crow

When Beric died the first time he was on a mission commissioned by Ned Stark to bring Gregor Clegane and his raiders to justice, so when he was reanimated by Thoro's fire ritual, he continued on with the mission. 

When Catelyn was at the Freys, she intuitively feared for everyone's lives and didn't feel safe until everyone had consumed the bread and salt that should have provided guest right. So when she was reanimated, it became her mission to bring to justice anyone involved with the breaking of guest right that resulted in the murders of Robb and all his men.

If Melisandre is a wight wearing a glamor, since her mission is to find Azor Ahai, then we might assume that she was killed while looking for Azor Ahai.

Bloodraven was Lord Commander at the Wall when he went missing. He went in search of the Children. Since he may have died when he went in search of the Children, it might explain his dedication in helping them. We don't know if he had any other men of the Watch with him, like rangers and such, but it only makes sense that he did. The wights guarding the entrance to the cave were likely his men, which makes me think that the Children killed them.

I'm not completely sold that greenseers are wights, because they are greenseers from birth, although I do recognize that it takes a near death experience to open the third eye. We have more than one source that describe what greenseers are from Maester Luwin to Jojen and Meera to Leaf and Bloodraven - and they don't contradict each other, so I think we can safely assume that they are NOT lying. Now, I might be convinced that greenseers can also become wights when wedded to the trees, although the jury is still out on that. Bran was able to seek and enter one of Jon's dreams while Bran was yet in the crypts of Winterfell. Visiting someone in a dream is an ability that greenseers have, and in Jon's dream Bran's appearance was that of a weirwood sapling. 

3 hours ago, Melifeather said:

When Beric died the first time he was on a mission commissioned by Ned Stark to bring Gregor Clegane and his raiders to justice, so when he was reanimated by Thoro's fire ritual, he continued on with the mission. 

I don't know why I never thought of this before, but yes, that explains much.  It might also explain why Beric isn't the revenant that Cat is.  His mission was one of justice untainted by vengeance.

3 hours ago, Melifeather said:

When Catelyn was at the Freys, she intuitively feared for everyone's lives and didn't feel safe until everyone had consumed the bread and salt that should have provided guest right. So when she was reanimated, it became her mission to bring to justice anyone involved with the breaking of guest right that resulted in the murders of Robb and all his men.

Yes, but I would argue that her mission for justice is very much tainted with a mission for vengeance.  It's too personal for her.  Beric didn't have a personal stake in the game when he was killed.  Cat was personally betrayed and saw her son killed right before her eyes.

22 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Aren't Coldhand's eyes black?

Yes black. 

I'm reading a Stephen King novel called the Outisder that is horror-monster take on GRRM's faceless man.  Lots of stuff right out of GoT including two characters who mention watching GoT. a little league baseball team called the Golden Dragons and a monster that absorbs it's victims memory before stealing their face.  It's even described as the Shrouded Man, death.  

7 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Yes black. 

What I'm getting at is that eye color seems to indicate the type of magic used. Blue eyes for ice magic, red eyes for fire magic...what kind of magic would lead to black eyes?

1 hour ago, Melifeather said:

What I'm getting at is that eye color seems to indicate the type of magic used. Blue eyes for ice magic, red eyes for fire magic...what kind of magic would lead to black eyes?

I gotta go with this as another physical characteristic of death.  The pupils dilate as all the sphincter muscles relax giving the appearance of black eyes.  It's the red or blue 'flames' that are absent.  I'm guessing that what is activated are memories carried in the bones and perhaps even the bloodline of the bones.   The power of 'king's blood' for example.

Is there also a green fire?  

A Game of Thrones - Bran IV

Robb had been holding his breath. He let it out with a sigh and called, "Grey Wind." His direwolf moved to him, swift and silent. Now there was only Shaggy dog, rumbling at the small man, his eyes burning like green fire.

A Clash of Kings - Davos I

Stannis Baratheon strode forward like a soldier marching into battle. His squires stepped up to attend him. Davos watched as his son Devan pulled a long padded glove over the king's right hand. The boy wore a cream-colored doublet with a fiery heart sewn on the breast. Bryen Farring was similarly garbed as he tied a stiff leather cape around His Grace's neck. Behind, Davos heard a faint clank and clatter of bells. "Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black," Patchface sang somewhere. "I know, I know, oh, oh, oh."

Perhaps Patchface knows.  Drogon's fire is black shot with red.

Perhaps what animates Coldhands is referred to elsewhere as shadow fire.  Something drawn from his bones or bloodline.

20 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Crows have black eyes

2 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Crows have black eyes

You can tell juvenile from adult crows by the colour of their eyes. In immature crows, the iris is chestnut brown, while in adults they are pure white. Nestlings have blue eyes (and shorter wings and tail).

Is that the three-eyed crow with black eyes?

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III

The moon was a crescent, thin and sharp as the blade of a knife. A pale sun rose and set and rose again. Red leaves whispered in the wind. Dark clouds filled the skies and turned to storms. Lightning flashed and thunder rumbled, and dead men with black hands and bright blue eyes shuffled round a cleft in the hillside but could not enter. Under the hill, the broken boy sat upon a weirwood throne, listening to whispers in the dark as ravens walked up and down his arms.

"You will never walk again," the three-eyed crow had promised, "but you will fly." Sometimes the sound of song would drift up from someplace far below. The children of the forest, Old Nan would have called the singers, but those who sing the song of earth was their own name for themselves, in the True Tongue that no human man could speak. The ravens could speak it, though. Their small black eyes were full of secrets, and they would caw at him and peck his skin when they heard the songs.

4 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Crows have black eyes

Jojen told Bran the crow gave him his third eye:

A Clash of Kings - Bran IV

"I only have two."

"You have three. The crow gave you the third, but you will not open it." He had a slow soft way of speaking. "With two eyes you see my face. With three you could see my heart. With two you can see that oak tree there. With three you could see the acorn the oak grew from and the stump that it will one day become. With two you see no farther than your walls. With three you would gaze south to the Summer Sea and north beyond the Wall."

On 8/30/2020 at 4:14 AM, Black Crow said:

Crows have black eyes

I was thinking about Coldhand's black crow or raven eyes....since the ice wights are more like zombies rather than sentient like fire wights, perhaps Coldhands was an ice wight first, and then the Children of the Forest got their hands on him and remade him with the black crow/raven eyes so that he'd be their servant?

On 8/26/2020 at 5:44 AM, Black Crow said:

Don't worry. I normally like to run a tight ship with 20 pages/400 posts to each heresy, but it won't do any harm to overrun now and again, especially when its in a good cause :commie:

I look forward to the next Heresy. I don't post much, but I definitely devour this site daily (probably too much), and love to read everyone's posts. I have been an avid reader all my life (38) and retain most of what I read. But I am amazed at just how much more observant many of you are (I won't name anyone specifically) than I am.

It is awesome when people from all over the world diligently gather together daily to discuss a set of books. That's a rare small list of stories. And ASOIAF is one of them.

Archived