Umbrella Academy S2

Denvek

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I, on the other hand, thought the first season had tons of flaws and was completely uninterested in a second season. But the AVClub - whom I've been reading since the Onion was a physical newspaper back in the 90s - I respect a lot and their review of it basically said "Hey Argonath Diver, they pretty much fixed all the stuff you bitched about, and the new season's actually really great!" I think I might give it ago.  Alas, I hardly watch episodic shows anymore, and I'm likely to start Dark soon, which sounds like it'll be quite enough time-related hijinks to tide me over until The Boys. We shall see! 

Binged over the last couple of nights, and really enjoyed it, perhaps not quite as much as S1, which was so enjoyable last year as something new and original.  The productions standards - I saw quite a few continuity errors as I watched, which if I can pick up, must be absolutely glaring.  While I missed Hazel and ChaCha, and the Handler got a little repetitive after a while. I still enjoyed the writing, and a special shout out to Herb from the Commission.

I didn't particularly enjoy season 1, as I had a hard time finding the characters likeable. Still, I watched season 2 and thought it was better. My opinion of the characters improved, and the season struck the right tone from the start, which drew me in.

I also have more confidence that the show will continue to explain unknown/mysterious variables in due time, including the more recent ones. 

One of the things that significantly bothered me in season 1 was the inconsistent use of superpowers. This was still present at times in season 2. I wish they did a little better with the writing when the main characters are getting attacked at so it's not so blatant that they have plot armor.

Finished yesterday and I agree, the season overall was better than the first, mostly because characters were just more likeable (especially Vanya, but also Allison, Luther or Diego), pehaps with the exception of Five, but he's not supposed to be liked, right?

The Swedes were less enjoyable than Hazel and Cha-Cha, but the plot was thicker, more focused and simply more interesting I think.

Generally I liked it quite a lot, even though was not overwhelmed by the finale.

I enjoyed bingeing (sigh...Google, I may not now how to spell the gerund of 'binge,' but it exists) Season 2 over the weekend. I liked the first season well enough to give this one a go, but overall I like people finding ways to not hate each other over ways to hate each other. Two questions:

1) I think there was a song that sounded like REM playing in the background at one point. The melody has been in my head for days.... anyone know?

2) What is Luther's power? Prior to the S1 flashback infusion of ape genes, was he just "kinda strong"? Because even with the ape genes, he only held his own against ChaCha, who seems to be a standard (and not terribly jacked) human.

On 8/3/2020 at 2:33 PM, Corvinus85 said:

I didn't particularly enjoy season 1, as I had a hard time finding the characters likeable. Still, I watched season 2 and thought it was better. My opinion of the characters improved, and the season struck the right tone from the start, which drew me in.

I also have more confidence that the show will continue to explain unknown/mysterious variables in due time, including the more recent ones. 

One of the things that significantly bothered me in season 1 was the inconsistent use of superpowers. This was still present at times in season 2. I wish they did a little better with the writing when the main characters are getting attacked at so it's not so blatant that they have plot armor.

Yea, I'm only half way through season 2, but I'm running into this issue as well. Characters are basically in a tight spot often, because for the plots sake they forget they have powers and then usually easily get out of it because they suddenly remember they have them.

Finished the second season today.

Like most in this thread I think it's a definite improvement on the first (which I liked, but thought was pretty uneven: I tried rewatching it back in June and couldn't get much further than the first episode).

The second half of Season 2 is, I think, a little bit weaker than the first half; the first half of the season gives the show more time to focus on its strengths (that is, characterisation and fun set pieces) and less time on trying to make sense of the wider plot, which is still a bit dubious at points.

(Also, given how important time travel is this season, it's a shame that the series' handling of time travel really doesn't make any sort of sense.  Not that it seems to try to.)

Archived