Umbrella Academy S2

Denvek

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Definitely better, more sure of themselves and what worked and what didn't, music was better and Lila was fucking amazing

On that note

Spoiler

Why didn't they bring her with them when they jumped at the end? Diego had that big speech about Lila being one of them, and then they leave her behind.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

On that note

Hide contents

Why didn't they bring her with them when they jumped at the end? Diego had that big speech about Lila being one of them, and then they leave her behind.

Welp

Spoiler

It's kind of a blink and you miss it thing, but she grabs the Handler's travelcase after she gets shot by the last swede and teleports away. And for some bizarre reason Luther tackles Diego before Diego can stop her.

On 8/5/2020 at 9:58 PM, Lightning Lord said:

2) What is Luther's power? Prior to the S1 flashback infusion of ape genes, was he just "kinda strong"? Because even with the ape genes, he only held his own against ChaCha, who seems to be a standard (and not terribly jacked) human.

From memory yeah that's it. Some context that's a mild spoiler from the source material which I don't think has been explicitly said in the show, but is pretty obvious when you stop and think about it

Spoiler

Their numbers are in order of danger posed. Luther isn't number 1 because he's the favorite or the most responsible, he's just barely more dangerous than a regular human. At the far end of the spectrum Vanya can literally end human life on earth so she's number 7. I'm not really sold on Ben being more dangerous than 5, but we've barely seen the scope of Ben's power - I just feel time travel has some pretty huge risk associated with it.

Biggest improvements this season were Lila and the difference in Vanya's arc compared to creepy stalker nice guy last season. Shaggy Diego was not the best aesthetic though.

Avoiding spoilers here, as we just started watching the 5th episode, and just have to say that that was a beautiful opening sequence.

Spoiler

The pairing of Peter Schilling's "Major Tom (Going Home)" with Pogo's story, especially the extended lull until his eyes open just as Schilling comes back in with "Earth below us". Gorgeous. And the pairing of this song, Pogo's story, Reginald reading about the most famous return in literature -- oof, this show is firing on all cylinders.

I've seen this mentioned in reviews, but so far as I have to agree that the show's soundtrack usage is among the best I've seen in the last years.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Reveal hidden contents

Their numbers are in order of danger posed. Luther isn't number 1 because he's the favorite or the most responsible, he's just barely more dangerous than a regular human. At the far end of the spectrum Vanya can literally end human life on earth so she's number 7. I'm not really sold on Ben being more dangerous than 5, but we've barely seen the scope of Ben's power - I just feel time travel has some pretty huge risk associated with it.

Spoiler

In the bank robbery flashback in Season 1 we see Ben go into the vault? after the rest of them secure the lobby and there's lots of screaming and blood splashing onto the inside of windows, so it looks like he can kill a lot of people very quickly.

Is that powers ordering theory really from the comics? I don’t recall that. I’m not sure it works.

Spoiler

That means Klaus is the 4th most powerful? More powerful than Allison? Doesn’t seems very likely. Aren’t they just numbered according to leadership ability/loyalty to Reginald.

On 8/8/2020 at 4:23 AM, Kalbear said:

Welp

Reveal hidden contents

It's kind of a blink and you miss it thing, but she grabs the Handler's travelcase after she gets shot by the last swede and teleports away. And for some bizarre reason Luther tackles Diego before Diego can stop her.

Spoiler

Diego stops Luther tackling Lila (to get the briefcase). When Luther asks him why, Diego smiles goofily and says he loves her.

I thought it was a good season, bit of an improvement over the first. Like Ran, I really enjoyed the music and the opening sequence was great as well.

At times though I thought it suffered a little from the Netflix effect - prestige television but done half assed. And I wasn’t that keen on the powers overload in the last episode, I think it works better when their powers are nothing but trouble for them.

5 hours ago, john said:

Is that powers ordering theory really from the comics? I don’t recall that. I’m not sure it works.

Hide contents

That means Klaus is the 4th most powerful? More powerful than Allison? Doesn’t seems very likely. Aren’t they just numbered according to leadership ability/loyalty to Reginald.

Hide contents

Diego stops Luther tackling Lila (to get the briefcase). When Luther asks him why, Diego smiles goofily and says he loves her.

I'll try find it again and confirm, it was something I read online rather than reading the comics myself, but I will say I didn't explain it quite as well as I meant to

Spoiler

If I'm remembering right it's not power ranking in the usual sense, but the risk posed to humanity/reality by their powers. This means that difficulty of control would also be a factor in the assessment - Vanya struggling to control her powers is a multiplying factor in her being the most dangerous. Ben might be a risk of actually summoning an Eldritch horror to Earth for real rather than just channeling it's power which would make sense for him being more risky than 5s time travel.

Just a follow up - looks like I may have been misremembering a fan theory as confirmed from the comic sorry. I stand by it as making sense though lol. At least as I explained it the second time.

@karaddin

Spoiler

No you explained it fine the first time, my fault I just automatically jumped to the nerd thing of WHO IS THE MOST POWERFUL?! :P

It does work up to a point but I still think it breaks down at the lower end. Is “controlling things in flight” really more dangerous to humanity than super strength? And in the comic Diego’s power is to breathe underwater so that definitely doesn’t work.

And just one more thing I forgot to say, which is the same as I said in the season 1 thread - 17 year old Aiden Gallagher really acts everybody else off the screen. I’d love to see him and Millie Bobby Brown in something.

@john yeah fair point. I think

Spoiler

That approach only works so well for the higher numbers as none of the bottom 3 pose a direct danger beyond the local level, and the bottom 2 can't even pose with indirect one. I guess Luther's good Daddy's boy attitude makes him easier to control as well and could justify the difference.

19 hours ago, karaddin said:

From memory yeah that's it. Some context that's a mild spoiler from the source material which I don't think has been explicitly said in the show, but is pretty obvious when you stop and think about it

Reveal hidden contents

Biggest improvements this season were Lila and the difference in Vanya's arc compared to creepy stalker nice guy last season. Shaggy Diego was not the best aesthetic though.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your later posts - it makes sense.

I love the dancing scenes this show puts together. S1 with the whole crew was good fun and S2 made an improvement on that.

I think I'll need to rewatch to see wtf I was thinking of with my other music question. I knew it was a long shot with so little info provided.

Questions:

Spoiler

- What's with the Commission leader being a goldfish? Are we to assume it's an alien, like Young Reg?

I always thought that the numbers were assigned arbitrarily, probably when they were brought home before any of their powers manifested... maybe I'm wrong... 

regardless, I enjoyed S2 much more than S1... the show has flaws, sure,  but it's light-hearted-ness (especially in S2) makes it easy to overlook... it's not pretending to be the Wire... 

I know the consensus is that S2 is superior to S1, but I liked them both, so I'm happy either way. In many ways I think I preferred S1 due to Cha Cha and Hazel, and just a general sense of craziness, and the potential that anything could happen. I found the scope of S2 a little limiting due to the time travel. 

The setting of S2 was definitely interesting outside of that however, I loved the idea of these characters just going out and living their lives in alternate timelines, due to circumstance. That was fun to see.

It's really the performances that make the show though, which is why I am a bit more agnostic over the plot. 

Number 5 is just incredible to watch, if you told me that a 60 year old man was inhabiting his body, I would believe you. He's got a real Rushmore vibe going on that I could watch constantly.

Klaus is perfect too, I remember Sheehan from Misfits from the UK and he almost single handedly carried that show, and it was never as good when he left (even when he was sort of replaced by Cassidy from Preacher. He should be in all movies.. except that I think he has competition from Ezra Miller who is a sort of doppleganger.

I even like Tom Hopper as Luther, despite really disliking him in pretty much everything else. He was too Hollyoaks for Black Sails in my opinion, just too big and good looking and didn't exactly ooze charm. But he does seem to have comedic chops and that really seems to be his thing. 

If I had a criticism of the show its that Vanya's arc haven't really been all that great, and as a consequence she still doesn't seem all that fleshed out, even though she should be the foundation of the show. I didn't really enjoy what she was doing this season, being locked up on a farm.. felt like a story I'd seen before. I hope they manage to do something more with her character. 

I really hope they make S3 however, the cliffhanger got me interested.

Midst of episode 6, and just to say that the sauna scene had the most atrocious rendition of Swedish we have ever heard. I actually saw a few days back that the /r/Sweden subreddit was talking about this, and I waited in anticipation to see it, and ... wow, yeah. They clearly hired some professional translation service, because the Swedish was all grammatically correct and idiomatic, but the pronunciation was somewhere between gibberish and awful.

22 minutes ago, Ran said:

Midst of episode 6, and just to say that the sauna scene had the most atrocious rendition of Swedish we have ever heard. I actually saw a few days back that the /r/Sweden subreddit was talking about this, and I waited in anticipation to see it, and ... wow, yeah. They clearly hired some professional translation service, because the Swedish was all grammatically correct and idiomatic, but the pronunciation was somewhere between gibberish and awful.

When I was able to notice "hey that's not how ö sounds" they're a long way off

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Oh dear, I wonder why they couldn't just dub it or something? I guess I could headcannon that Swedish in their timeline sounds like that. Or it's some sort of Ur-Swedish.

I loved this Season. I binged it in two days which is super fast for me.

51 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

The Swedes never speak English, so why couldn’t they cast some actual Swedes?

No clue, but it's the Handler who had the bulk of it and who was just horrifically bad. Melody was all wrong, enunciation and stresses were all over the place, it was just like... they gave her the phonetics and no coaching at all. It's really weird, to be honest, you don't tend to see such a botch of a foreign language in productions of this caliber these days. Linda said that the Homeric Greek was all right, by comparison.

Archived