Umbrella Academy S2

Denvek

On 9/29/2020 at 8:55 AM, ants said:

One other thing I didn't get, but time travel related:

Hide contents

Why when returning to their timeline, was there any expectation that things would change?  It seemed to be kind of just glossed over that if they returned to their time with the fixed Vanya, that would fix things.  I can understand why that would fix the apocalypse in the 1960s, but unless they returned "early" why would it fix the one in the current time?  And if they returned "early", why weren't they concerned with meeting themselves at the end?  

I would think they'd either be returning after the event, which is quite useless, or before the asteroid hits, which means they have to stop it while having the issue with doing so while avoiding interacting with themselves.

Of course, this became all moot because their interactions in the 60s had changed the timeline enough that its now the Sparrow academy.  Of course, that does raise the question, are there other versions of themselves out there still with their birth parents? 

Just finished the second season. There was quite a bit about the time travel that didn’t quite make sense (I know it’s more a fun show than a serious time travel show, but I think it’s central enough to the plot that it merits mentioning these things):

Spoiler

How was 5 able to create a portal to the original timeline, i.e, Umbrella not Sparrow, for the older 5 to travel back to ready for Season 1? And once there, that version of 5 has been told that the eye is a dead end by Luther (and a bunch of other stuff about that period), so the first season plays out completely differently. 

I also would’ve liked at least some plausible path to what we saw at the beginning of season 2, where 5 never showed up and they all mastered their powers ready for the war. 5 had to track them all down when he went back a little further.

And yes, I don’t see how the first (2019) apocalypse is fixed. Or at least, they didn’t plan for it that way. Either they figure they’ve changed enough and Vanya won’t blow up and they should expect drastic changes, or they need a plan to stop her. From a writing perspective, it seems a shame to just hand wave the entire premise of season 1 (stop the apocalypse) to something the Commission fix off screen. It renders the entire family irrelevant to the solution.

Either way, they should also have expected drastic changes just from revealing critical details of Reginald’s life to him. Thing will obviously play out differently if he knows who he’s going to adopt and how it will turn out for them.

• 6 months later...

Archived