Umbrella Academy S2

Denvek

On 9/6/2020 at 7:24 AM, Maia said:
Spoiler

I enjoyed this season a lot,  but is this going to be a show where they forever try to return to their reality and never succeed? I mean, it would be logical if their actions in the past affected the future, but then the Temporal Commission agents slaughter people who aren't their targets with abandon, so it seems odd that the continuity suddenly goes all "Sound of Thunder" on the Umbrella siblings.

Also, I forgot, but didn't they get to examine Redginald's body back in season 1? How could they have missed the fact of him being a rather alien alien? And his and Grace's romance is also kinda out there - wouldn't she have eventually noticed?

And yea, I too would like to know about the goldfish - everybody else in the Commission is boringly human, so why?

BTW, it seems like the aliens - or just Redginald? already had a base on the dark side of the moon in the early sixties - but Luther didn't go there, did he? I mean that explains why his reports and samples were ignored by Dad, but are there more aliens living there, perhaps? In Redginald's flashback in the first season there were many ships leaving their doomed planet.

Um, @Maia, I think you need to add some spoilers in there!

I really enjoyed both S1 and S2, and enjoyed Vanya's S2 arc.  Comments on Maia's questions/comments and other points:

Spoiler

• I'd been wondering where on earth the other 35 odd special kids are.  We got one, and looks like we'll get a lot more.  It will be interesting to see how the Sparrow academy develops - are they going to be the villains or something else?
  • I don't think there original timeline/reality really exists anymore.  They seem to be using the back to the future timeline style, in that you can move up and down the current timeline, but when it changes it's changed for good unless you go back and change something even earlier.  Quite how the commission works has never been explained (as in, they're protecting the timeline.  From who?  They seem to be the ones making changes left and right).
  • Pogo managed the body, I'm not sure if anyone else did.
  • There is obviously a theme with the fish and Reg.  But then, we kind of know someone had to cause the special births.
  • I don't know which side of the moon Luther was in, or if he was at the pre-established base.  
  • Um, what flashbacks? How the hell have I missed this????

2 hours ago, ants said:

Um, @Maia, I think you need to add some spoilers in there!

I really enjoyed both S1 and S2, and enjoyed Vanya's S2 arc.  Comments on Maia's questions/comments and other points:

Hide contents

• I'd been wondering where on earth the other 35 odd special kids are.  We got one, and looks like we'll get a lot more.  It will be interesting to see how the Sparrow academy develops - are they going to be the villains or something else?
  • I don't think there original timeline/reality really exists anymore.  They seem to be using the back to the future timeline style, in that you can move up and down the current timeline, but when it changes it's changed for good unless you go back and change something even earlier.  Quite how the commission works has never been explained (as in, they're protecting the timeline.  From who?  They seem to be the ones making changes left and right).
  • Pogo managed the body, I'm not sure if anyone else did.
  • There is obviously a theme with the fish and Reg.  But then, we kind of know someone had to cause the special births.
  • I don't know which side of the moon Luther was in, or if he was at the pre-established base.  
  • Um, what flashbacks? How the hell have I missed this????

I also don't remember seeing any Reginald flashbacks pertaining to his origins in season 1. 

On 9/5/2020 at 5:24 PM, Maia said:

IBTW, it seems like the aliens - or just Redginald? already had a base on the dark side of the moon in the early sixties - but Luther didn't go there, did he? I mean that explains why his reports and samples were ignored by Dad, but are there more aliens living there, perhaps? In Redginald's flashback in the first season there were many ships leaving their doomed planet.

On the Reg thing

Spoiler

I don't remember if it was S1 or 2 when we see his flashback leaving his home planet. Home planet being the key, I don't believe it was the moon they were on.

I believe Pogo specifically said he sent Luther to the moon to give him a mission because without it he would be lost. 

Spoiler

There was a flashback narration in S1 of Reginald leading an exodus from his home planet.

We finished S2.  I really enjoyed it.  I won’t repeat all of the positives I listed before.  It’s a great ensemble of characters and very well directed.  I’m excited for S3.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:
  Hide contents

There was a flashback narration in S1 of Reginald leading an exodus from his home planet.

Was this in the episode where you see him arriving and buying/starting an umbrella factory at the start?  I still don't remember the mentioned scene.  

4 hours ago, ants said:

Was this in the episode where you see him arriving and buying/starting an umbrella factory at the start?  I still don't remember the mentioned scene.  

I don’t know if that was shown at the same time.  I think there was one flashback that showed him arriving in the US on a ship, possibly an Ellis Island immigrant.  I think he starts the umbrella factory after that.  Then there’s another flashback earlier in his migration.  That may have been shown in the same episode or perhaps in another. 

From Google and Reddit:

Spoiler

At the start of the final episode we see Hargreeves take a small jar of little "light bees" and release them out of the window on his (homeworld?) from where there seems to be a mass exodus occurring.

He later arrives at a port on Earth in the year 1928.

I'll have to rewatch the start of the last episode of Season 1.  I don't remember any of those elements (beyond him arriving via immigration).  

Edit: done so.  And yes, that occurs.  Not sure how I missed it and the fireflies.  

7 hours ago, ants said:

From Google and Reddit:

Hide contents

At the start of the final episode we see Hargreeves take a small jar of little "light bees" and release them out of the window on his (homeworld?) from where there seems to be a mass exodus occurring.

He later arrives at a port on Earth in the year 1928.

I'll have to rewatch the start of the last episode of Season 1.  I don't remember any of those elements (beyond him arriving via immigration).  

Edit: done so.  And yes, that occurs.  Not sure how I missed it and the fireflies.  

Same here, I watched (or re-watched) that scene and have no recollection. Either stupid Netflix skipped over it, as sometimes when you transition to the next episode, it can skip over prologue stuff, or I didn't pay attention.

Spoiler

It's also possible I simply didn't realize what I was watching, since we don't see Reginald and his wife as aliens. This show is weird enough without aliens added in the mix.

13 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Same here, I watched (or re-watched) that scene and have no recollection. Either stupid Netflix skipped over it, as sometimes when you transition to the next episode, it can skip over prologue stuff, or I didn't pay attention.

Hide contents

It's also possible I simply didn't realize what I was watching, since we don't see Reginald and his wife as aliens. This show is weird enough without aliens added in the mix.

Yeah,

Spoiler

I didn't realise/think he was an alien until the final episode of Season 2 when they make it bloody obvious!

On 9/25/2020 at 3:04 AM, Denvek said:
  Hide contents

I had thought when that scene happened in Season 1 that Reginald was from the future, not that he was an alien.

Oh yeah, since time travel is part of the story I also thought it was some sort of future even though the text says "a long time ago." Maybe on the moon, lol.

Thanks for whoever mentioned this scene. I rewatched it in light of what we know now about Reggie. I still have no idea what's up with him but it was interesting to rewatch.

One other thing I didn't get, but time travel related:

Spoiler

Why when returning to their timeline, was there any expectation that things would change?  It seemed to be kind of just glossed over that if they returned to their time with the fixed Vanya, that would fix things.  I can understand why that would fix the apocalypse in the 1960s, but unless they returned "early" why would it fix the one in the current time?  And if they returned "early", why weren't they concerned with meeting themselves at the end?  

I would think they'd either be returning after the event, which is quite useless, or before the asteroid hits, which means they have to stop it while having the issue with doing so while avoiding interacting with themselves.

Of course, this became all moot because their interactions in the 60s had changed the timeline enough that its now the Sparrow academy.  Of course, that does raise the question, are there other versions of themselves out there still with their birth parents? 

5 hours ago, ants said:

Hide contents

Why when returning to their timeline, was there any expectation that things would change?  It seemed to be kind of just glossed over that if they returned to their time with the fixed Vanya, that would fix things.  I can understand why that would fix the apocalypse in the 1960s, but unless they returned "early" why would it fix the one in the current time?  And if they returned "early", why weren't they concerned with meeting themselves at the end?  

I would think they'd either be returning after the event, which is quite useless, or before the asteroid hits, which means they have to stop it while having the issue with doing so while avoiding interacting with themselves.

Of course, this became all moot because their interactions in the 60s had changed the timeline enough that its now the Sparrow academy.  Of course, that does raise the question, are there other versions of themselves out there still with their birth parents? 

When we got the ridiculous laws of what happens when you meet yourself, I decided time travel as a whole in this show is not worth nitpicking, and I'm just enjoying the story as driven by the characters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 8:55 PM, ants said:

Hide contents

Why when returning to their timeline, was there any expectation that things would change?  It seemed to be kind of just glossed over that if they returned to their time with the fixed Vanya, that would fix things.  I can understand why that would fix the apocalypse in the 1960s, but unless they returned "early" why would it fix the one in the current time?

Spoiler

I think 5 made a deal with the Handler to sort it out? The old Board wouldn't allow the apocalypse to be changed, but with her in charge, they were more flexible.

10 hours ago, ants said:

I thought the deal was just about getting a suitcase.

That was certainly given more attention, but I'm fairly sure the apocalypse was briefly mentioned as well.

4 hours ago, felice said:

That was certainly given more attention, but I'm fairly sure the apocalypse was briefly mentioned as well.

But which one?  I thought the idea was to jump out to avoid the 1960s one. 

Archived