Covid 19 and Your Life #2: It's Personal

Zorral

14 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Those would be awesome, and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying them all individually.

Problem is everything is out of stock no matter what you're looking for. 

I was also looking at Peloton bikes, and the site is so goofy. I think I'd just rather buy a new bike than deal with that shit. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Problem is everything is out of stock no matter what you're looking for. 

I was also looking at Peloton bikes, and the site is so goofy. I think I'd just rather buy a new bike than deal with that shit. 

Yeah, I asked at all the places I went when they were expecting a re-stock, and none of them could say. 

The Peloton commercial irks me so badly I doubt I'll ever get one.

Imma about to try cutting Our Hairs.  Still haven't gotten up the juice, still looking at videos -- not that they will do my utter lack of intuition - talent in this area any good.  Or my partner's. Sigh.  But something needs to be done.

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Yeah, I asked at all the places I went when they were expecting a re-stock, and none of them could say. 

The Peloton commercial irks me so badly I doubt I'll ever get one.

I'm just more bothered that I have to pay for the bike and a monthly subscription. 

That's why I really just want the weights, and a better adjustable bench. 

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Imma about to try cutting Our Hairs.  Still haven't gotten up the juice, still looking at videos -- not that they will do my utter lack of intuition - talent in this area any good.  Or my partner's. Sigh.  But something needs to be done.

My hair is looking wild. It's similar to Jules in Pulp Fiction, but for a Jewish white guy. I don't even want to cut it. 

17 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I had a job interview with a mask on my face. No handshaking either. At one point, the interviewer (who herself was wearing a mask) asked me to take it off just for a minute to at least see my face. It is so weird talking to people with masks on, you cannot see their expressions at all.

Good luck! I had two rounds of panel interviews via Skype which was it's own kind of weird. Also very poor lighting in my kitchen. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm just more bothered that I have to pay for the bike and a month subscription. 

That's why I really just want the weights, and a better adjustable bench. 

My hair is looking wild. It's similar to Jules in Pulp Fiction, but for a Jewish white guy. I don't even want to cut it. 

I found a decent adjustable bench. I'm just bummed that I don't have room to set up a deadlift/squat rack.

Re: my new hairdo, I think I'm going to keep the length up top for a while, as soon as I can get the party in back sorted out.

23 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I found a decent adjustable bench. I'm just bummed that I don't have room to set up a deadlift/squat rack.

Re: my new hairdo, I think I'm going to keep the length up top for a while, as soon as I can get the party in back sorted out.

Southern redneck! 

5 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Good luck! I had two rounds of panel interviews via Skype which was it's own kind of weird. Also very poor lighting in my kitchen. 

Thank you, and good luck to you too! I would be most scared of the Internet disconnecting if I had a Skype interview.

Boo, I might be on furlough awhile still. My work is reliant upon other businesses letting us come in to do our thing. I don't know that many businesses will want unnecessary outsiders roaming around too soon. I've got stuff I can keep busy with, an on-call job, and unemployment, so I can't really complain.

Quarantine has not really impacted my look, except I often wear updos that don't look cute on me since I'm just sitting in a lot anyway. I was already trimming my own hair, so that's still going on. I also wear a t-shirt about everyday with sweatpants or gym shorts, haha.

I wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but I wanted to share this essay by a college president on how he believes many colleges and universities are planning to reopen too soon:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/colleges-that-reopen-are-making-a-big-mistake/611485/ 

I am more and more happy that I am retiring as a college professor on August 31.

42 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I am more and more happy that I am retiring as a college professor on August 31.

Congratulations on a professional life well spent! Personality psychology was always my favorite class, even more so than all the poli sci ones I took. Many psychology professors have left a lasting impact that will follow me for the rest of my life, as did the professors who ran the labs I got to work in. 

I'm sure thousands of your students feel the exact same way about you.

Cheers. :cheers:

Put our vote-by-mail ballot requests into the mailbox.

It's weird:

1) We had to go online to request a request (so we had to know about it first!  how many did/do?).  Plus one has to already be a registered voter in the Dem party -- and one has to enter the request exactly as one's name is recorded on the rolls. My partner had to try 3 times because he didn't quite do that.  Already, in the last election before this one, the first one They decided should be done electronically, I had to spend over an hour fighting because my signature on the stupid tablet, on which nobody can write anyway, somehow wasn't recognized by the stupid app as the same as the pen and ink signature on the paper voter rolls -- and, as if my signature doesn't change in teeny ways anyway over all the years I've voted in this precinct!

2) We made this online request way back in April.

3) The request forms for a mail-in ballot for the June 23rd Dem prez candidate primary plus local election arrived late last week.

4) Now we mail them in to get something else -- the actual ballot --mailed to us.

5)  Then we mail in that ballot.

That's 5 steps, if one stops counting, after putting the actual election ballot in the mailbox. After that somebody has to record and tabulate.

This seems unnecessarily complicated and effortful for the election board, etc.

On 5/23/2020 at 4:17 PM, Fury Resurrected said:

I got tested today because it was free and available to people without symptoms and I want to make sure I’m as safe as possible before returning to work so I’m not the Typhoid Mary of my industry (that’ll definitely happen to someone though, there are a lot of very stupid tattooers)

I hope you get your results more quickly than I have.  A month after testing (at least) and I still don't know.

47 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I hope you get your results more quickly than I have.  A month after testing (at least) and I still don't know.

That’s crazy.  When my dad got tested last week (in Ireland), he received his result in less than 24 hours.

Do you know that your test is still active in the system, and not just lost?

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That’s crazy.  When my dad got tested last week (in Ireland), he received his result in less than 24 hours.

Do you know that your test is still active in the system, and not just lost?

Anything's possible.  I ought to call the folks who conducted the testing.  Just hasn't been at the top of my to-do list, weirdly enough.

Archived