Covid 19 and Your Life #2: It's Personal

Zorral

17 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Thank you, I’ll sure dance to this the next time I have four whiskeys in two hours and get more heartburn! 

A whiskey woman is my kind of lady.

Prince has some of the best dance music. Jam out! 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Hypochondria day: 

(snip)

i swear to god this bloody thing makes me crazy. I’m kinda hypochondriac in general, but this whole reopening and back to normal process is just as bad as the going into self-isolation and quarantine process was. My mum says I need a hobby. My grandma would say I need to hoe a potato field. 

Hey, I started a whole thread, remember? I have gone to a testing centre now and had the test, I should hear back tomorrow. If I had it in April, it's probably gone now, but who knows. When they start serum testing I'll do that.

Keep us posted.  :grouphug:

I have eaten Taco Bell three times in the last week. Now sure if I ate fast food three times in 2019.

Everything is boarded up. You have to drive way outside the city to find an open grocery store. This is nuts. 

The liquor store I go to, it's all boarded up too. The only thing they didn't cover was the open sign. 

On 5/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, Ormond said:

I wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but I wanted to share this essay by a college president on how he believes many colleges and universities are planning to reopen too soon:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/colleges-that-reopen-are-making-a-big-mistake/611485/ 

I am more and more happy that I am retiring as a college professor on August 31.

Regardless of the covid situation, congrats on reaching the finish line.  All the best to you and yours.

I hope you still continue to pontificate on names here.  Still trying to figure out why I went to grammar school with so many Amys and Jennifers.  Am I dating myself?

I didn't know who to call to get the results from my Covid 19 test, so I found an article with one of the doc's names who organized the testing procedure, looked her up and called her.  She was really nice but quite overwhelmed by the fact that the task of calling everyone had been dumped in her lap!  I offered to give her a hand, but she declined. Anyway, I'm negative. 

Yippee.  

4 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I didn't know who to call to get the results from my Covid 19 test, so I found an article with one of the doc's names who organized the testing procedure, looked her up and called her.  She was really nice but quite overwhelmed by the fact that the task of calling everyone had been dumped in her lap!  I offered to give her a hand, but she declined. Anyway, I'm negative. 

Yippee.  

Thank goodness! I had symptoms back in April, starting on the 10th, but I didn't even try to get tested. On Thursday night on impulse I went to a testing centre and got it done, since the criteria have been expanded. It is possible I could test positive after all this time, but who knows. They said that if I don't hear after 4 days to call, but they also said I would only be called if I was positive. They provided a contact number to check, and they say I can check on line, but when I tried it said Google (can't remember the word, Captcha? won't allow it).

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Thank goodness! I had symptoms back in April, starting on the 10th, but I didn't even try to get tested. On Thursday night on impulse I went to a testing centre and got it done, since the criteria have been expanded. It is possible I could test positive after all this time, but who knows. They said that if I don't hear after 4 days to call, but they also said I would only be called if I was positive. They provided a contact number to check, and they say I can check on line, but when I tried it said Google (can't remember the word, Captcha? won't allow it).

good luck.  Hope you came back positive for antibodies, arent a risk to anyone else and can get back to normal.

11 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Hey, I started a whole thread, remember? I have gone to a testing centre now and had the test, I should hear back tomorrow. If I had it in April, it's probably gone now, but who knows. When they start serum testing I'll do that.

Keep us posted.  :grouphug:

Hope your test comes back all right. Are you getting the actual test or the anti-body test (which is supposed to show if you had it in the past)?

So apparently, as I have read, milions of tourists will come to Spain in less than a month while just in Barcelona more than 800 new cases have been reported in a forntnight and citizens have been in lockdown for 2.5 months. 

Terrasses are full, security distance is an uthopy, and they have j ust changed the restrictions because there was this contradiction that foreign toruism could arrive here while Barcelonians could not still move outside the metropolitan area nearby. Now both events will take place at the same time. 

I feel this is not only nonsensical but it's like people has lost lost their mind. 

The other day I finally decided to overcome my fears and go out walking for a couple of hours with the mask. It felt so good esepcially for my body. Now I just need social contact again, but I refuse going outside in terrasses bc that means no mask and lot of people, and I am not at the same comfortability level as others are. 

Some of my friends are scared as well, so at least I am not alone, but sometimes my fear shows up in conversation as terrasses of bars are not a good idea for me right now.. 

The mask is uncomfortable but I will wear it eitherway. It's compulsory actually unless distance can be achieved or the activity is not incompatible with it. Regardless of that, everyone does what they want. 

So I guess that when I manage to go out outside of this city again there will be a spread and we will be locked down again.  

My body needs moving, I am insanely busy with exams but eitherway this lockdown is just too much and I started having backpain, and now when things coukd start to relax for less cases occurring and I could go outside a little, I have to witness how lots of people are sabotaging the effort of those months just bc they are stupid. 

I don't rven recognise myself much. It could not be more than a weekend withiut me not going out with people or even myself with sport or whatever and now I have become isolated and while I have maintained the main relationships, I have "got accustomed" To no social contact. But it just doesn't feel right. It's like security comes first but I feel empty and burn out only working. 

Then again, being extroverted and shy has never been easy. So sometimes I feel that if I refuse going to terrasses for "hypochondria" Or fear it won't be good. But I can't. At least now my Master is good as an excuse. 

@Meera of Tarthwhere did you read about the tourists? I'm just wondering what it's based on (previously booked holidays, anticipated bookings, etc.). If it's a Spanish source, grateful if you could summarise!

We have a meeting later this week about potential repopulation of our office. I know if we are going back it's phased, but beyond that don't know anything further yet. I am now beginning to hope they offer the option of continuing to work from home indefinitely as I have grown to rather like it. Plus ai hate the hot weather and having to sit in uncomfortable businesswear in a hot stuffy office...well it was awful last year and I'd be happy to skip it this year.

Also spoke to my mam this morning, and she is going to be working from home until at least the end of September. Quite surprised by that just based on the hassle she had getting the various equipment and systems she needed to WFH but that's perhaps just issues with her particular manager. Anyway, mam is very happy with this news, she says she would happily WFH indefinitely too. I hope they let her, as she is so much happier being able to work like this and it is nice to hear her so happy

6 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

So apparently, as I have read, milions of tourists will come to Spain in less than a month while just in Barcelona more than 800 new cases have been reported in a forntnight and citizens have been in lockdown for 2.5 months.

I'd also appreciate a link.

Spain has been trying to balance an economy heavily dependent on the tourism industry and coronavirus concerns. Not opening up to foreign tourism during the summer would have been absolutely devastating for an already hard hit sector.

That said, if the regional authorities are concerned for the rate of infections in Barcelona, they're well within their right to request central government to hold back in advancing it to the next stage of lockdown (or even, I think, have it fall back to a former stage). Tourists will not flock to a place with health restrictions blocking their access to bars, restaurants and clubs. Even if Spain completely opens up and lifts all restriction, I'm sure lots of potential tourists will be weary of traveling this summer.

I live in Reus, and my feeling here is that people have acute lockdown fatigue (I certainly do). The Spanish lockdown has been one of the harshest in Europe, and people are really tired and wishing for it to be over. The Spanish government has also lost much of the initial support for declaring the state of emergency. It was anyone's guess if the latest extension would pass right up until the last second. Even if it really wanted to (which it likely doesn't as these measures have become increasingly unpopular) it's unlikely it could enforce lockdown much longer.

Spaniards do tend to be chaotic in nature, and often find restrictions and regulations stifling (I work in local government and see it all the time) and ignore them any time they think they can get away with it. Law enforcement has been working lots of over time and are now stretched thin (and also grumpy and unwilling to nag people about social distancing or mask wearing).

Albeit all this, numbers in Spain have been improving steadily. I'm confident things will get better over the summer. The risk of contagion while outdoors has been established to be pretty low anyway. Just take sensible precautions and don't panic!

23 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@Meera of Tarthwhere did you read about the tourists? I'm just wondering what it's based on (previously booked holidays, anticipated bookings, etc.). If it's a Spanish source, grateful if you could summarise!

We have a meeting later this week about potential repopulation of our office. I know if we are going back it's phased, but beyond that don't know anything further yet. I am now beginning to hope they offer the option of continuing to work from home indefinitely as I have grown to rather like it. Plus ai hate the hot weather and having to sit in uncomfortable businesswear in a hot stuffy office...well it was awful last year and I'd be happy to skip it this year.

Also spoke to my mam this morning, and she is going to be working from home until at least the end of September. Quite surprised by that just based on the hassle she had getting the various equipment and systems she needed to WFH but that's perhaps just issues with her particular manager. Anyway, mam is very happy with this news, she says she would happily WFH indefinitely too. I hope they let her, as she is so much happier being able to work like this and it is nice to hear her so happy

Oh sorry I should have used the word "heard" Instead of read, since it was in the news, in La Sexta. 

But there is this with a quick search 

https://www.lancelotdigital.com/turismo/se-reaniman-las-reservas-turisticas-en-espana

They say people are re starting to book

Well the ither day the PM started talking to us as if he was trying to sell Spain as a destination. He said that while distance should be maintained, the proximity in warmth from the Spaniards will always welcome the visitors. 

Yeah my mother also is very happy working from home but they are urging her to return since they don't see that public transport is a burden. 

I have not used public transport since March.

What I'm craving for is social contact. Skype has worked fine for me for already long distance relationships but with people I am already more accustomed to see face to face bc they live nearby it's just very weird. I ended up not wanting those calls, it just felt weird. Maybe it's just the type of person as well, and the nature or the dynaimcs  of the relationship though. Videocalling via phone is super tiring for me. I much prefer phone calls or Skype in the laptop while I see the person properly, in a big screen. I don't like much writing on phone either. And the majority of peoppe don't like audios or calls... 

One thing I have read is that a number of destination tourist spots want their governments to re-think the way tourism is done. In the last decade tourists have swarmed like locusts, and many people are have found that having their cities back without massive crowds has been wonderful. It will be interesting to see if anyone tries to institute crowd control measures, like needing time-limited entry passes.

1 hour ago, Mentat said:

That said, if the regional authorities are concerned for the rate of infections in Barcelona, they're well within their right to request central government to hold back in advancing it to the next stage of lockdown (or even, I think, have it fall back to a former stage). Tourists will not flock to a place with health restrictions blocking their access to bars, restaurants and clubs. Even if Spain completely opens up and lifts all restriction, I'm sure lots of potential tourists will be weary of traveling this summer.

Albeit all this, numbers in Spain have been improving steadily. I'm confident things will get better over the summer. The risk of contagion while outdoors has been established to be pretty low anyway. Just take sensible precautions and don't panic!

It looks like higher temperatures are good. However I feel like a fool when so many people do what they want. I don't think it's a Spanish thing,  but it's just people being stupidly foolish, and seeing that everyone does the same reinforces this attitude. Also it doesn't look good when you see that the city where I live is one of the main spots of all the country.

They are actually doing the contrary, trying to deescalate quickly, and tourists and locals will go to bars etc because basically the restrictions are virtual, not real. This doesn't like 30% of the maximum capacity. It was exactly like a normal summer.

I even miss going to the library to study, but I have to be a good citizen:dunno:.

I just got tested (nasopharyngeal ) this weekend. Not because I felt sick or anything, but because the county was offering free testing (drive through) to anyone who wanted it. Part of their concern was the recent flooding, where evacuations had taken place, and post-flood where volunteers were going around in close proximity to others. Social distancing was a challenge under those circumstances, so this is a case where there were proactive measures taken to identify any clustering events and hopefully prevent future spikes.

On the whole I'd say we are one of the better responses to COVID. The National Guard was also helping out, so everything was quite orderly. Now I have to wait 2-5 days for the results (phone if positive, letter if negative)

Speaking of the library, our local one has been closed this whole time and I really wish they’d let people reserve online and implement some kind of pick up service.  I don’t think that would be any riskier than getting take out for dinner which has been allowed throughout the crisis.  

My local area also announced that pools will be closed for the summer.  I don’t really get this one either.  It’s obviously a place where people congregate but it’s outside and in chlorinated water.  Since pools are usually fenced they could also restrict the number of patrons to promote social distancing.  People are allowed to sit on top of one another at the beach, or at a lake, but not congregate around chemically treated water?  It’s OK pack people indoors at a TJ Maxx to shop for discount clothes, but not to cool off at a public pool when it’s 90 degrees?  

Give me the pool and the library and keep the TJ Maxx!  I really do feel bad for kids. They get out of school for the year months early but aren’t going to get to do any of the normal summertime kid stuff.  No summer camps, no pool, really limited bullshit summer job opportunities, graduates who didn’t get to say goodbye to friends and teachers. From the ages of like 8-15 I freakin’ LIVED for the pool in the summer. I would be bored out of my skull at this point with several months left to go.  

13 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

It looks like higher temperatures are good. However I feel like a fool when so many people do what they want. I don't think it's a Spanish thing,  but it's just people being stupidly foolish, and seeing that everyone does the same reinforces this attitude. Also it doesn't look good when you see that the city where I live is one of the main spots of all the country.

I don't think Spaniards are more stupid or foolish than anyone else... but I do stand by my original assertion, they (we) as a society tend more towards the chaotic spectrum than the lawful one. The reason that our lockdown has been one of the harshest in Europe is because the government thought (and I'd agree), that people (a large enough amount of them, anyway) would disregard any recommendation or regulation that wasn't very strictly enforced.

Barcelona and (specially) Madrid may be the Spanish coronavirus hotspots (it could hardly be otherwise, the virus thrives where people concentrate and cosmopolitan places got a head start on infection ratings before any countermeasures were implemented), but Barcelona is also an amazing city, and one of the cultural and business hotspots of Europe. I love the theater, and so often find myself wishing I could enjoy the Barcelona cultural scene without facing a two hour drive and an astronomical number of tolls. Take the good with the bad!

22 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

They are actually doing the contrary, trying to deescalate quickly, and tourists and locals will go to bars etc because basically the restrictions are virtual, not real. This doesn't like 30% of the maximum capacity. It was exactly like a normal summer.

I'm no health expert, so I don't know if we should ideally keep stores and bars closed for longer, but I think the government has been de-escalating lockdown as slowly as it was politically, economically and socially viable to. Countries like Italy and Greece have already started to open up.

Anyway, best wishes and stay safe.

31 minutes ago, Mentat said:

I'm no health expert, so I don't know if we should ideally keep stores and bars closed for longer, but I think the government has been de-escalating lockdown as slowly as it was politically, economically and socially viable to. Countries like Italy and Greece have already started to open up.

Anyway, best wishes and stay safe.

It's not about keeping them more closed or not, but deescalating now at a higher pace than they initially intended, and especially, that nobody is paying attention to how the measures are not being respected for multiple reasons, which is quite sad.

Thanks, and I wish you the same!^_^

Archived