Covid 19 and Your Life #2: It's Personal

Zorral

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And see, this is why I said in the U.S. thread that assume the economy will come back online before the elections for the average person? Funding is running out, and a lot of people are going to be in bad places, even with more rounds of stimulus packages, and Trump will pay the price for that.

Total agreement from me. I never thought the stimulus was put together in a long term meaningful way.  I also thought I was gonna avoid this point...coulda woulda shoulda and all that...

On 5/25/2020 at 8:38 PM, kairparavel said:

Good luck! I had two rounds of panel interviews via Skype which was it's own kind of weird. Also very poor lighting in my kitchen. 

Aaaaand I start my new job in two weeks. 

9 hours ago, Makk said:

The hoarding item in New Zealand was flour. I can remember the first time going to the supermarket once the lockdown had started and the shelves were completely bare in two supermarkets. We apparently had plenty of flour but ran out of bags that are used for non-industrial retail and it took about a month before we could reliably get it again.

Big supermarkets did get bare in the first days, but smaller branches and local groceries operated just fine, no shortage of anything, so I bought some stuff here and some stuff there in reasonable amounts, and within a couple of days, the stocks went back to normal everywhere, just with limitations on purchase per person. Online delivery services got a real boost and started delivering basics into small towns, as well, cooperating with local vendors.

I'm pretty sure my boss and his boss are telling me tomorrow that my furlough is becoming a layoff. Our CEO sent out an email yesterday that workforce reductions must be done because of covid-related financial impacts and our supervisors would contact us soon about it. My supervisor sent me an email about an hour later that he "unfortunately" needs to speak to me soon. I was strongly considering quitting this job to go back to school full-time in the fall anyway, so it's not that sad. 

42 minutes ago, Lizard Queen said:

I'm pretty sure my boss and his boss are telling me tomorrow that my furlough is becoming a layoff. Our CEO sent out an email yesterday that workforce reductions must be done because of covid-related financial impacts and our supervisors would contact us soon about it. My supervisor sent me an email about an hour later that he "unfortunately" needs to speak to me soon. I was strongly considering quitting this job to go back to school full-time in the fall anyway, so it's not that sad. 

Small warning here:

Don't quit, let them lay you off, then you can still collect your unemployment insurance. 

If you mention anything about quitting or going to school it will likely be used against you to stop you from collecting your insurance. Seen it happen to many people that nervously chatted too much as they were being put out the door.

Sunny, mid-80's here.  Partner left the apartment at noon to see a doctor; I turned on ... the local public radio station.  This is what it would have been like on a typical Wednesday Before, but it's the first time since March.

Hope all will be well; and infected lymph gland on one side of the neck.  Sonogram and xray.  Cheerful text though, so maybe it's all good.  

But the misery was so great in the neck that someone had to be seen about it. 

7 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Small warning here:

Don't quit, let them lay you off, then you can still collect your unemployment insurance. 

If you mention anything about quitting or going to school it will likely be used against you to stop you from collecting your insurance. Seen it happen to many people that nervously chatted too much as they were being put out the door.

Thanks for the advice. I don't believe my boss and his boss (at least not my boss. Don't know his boss at all though) would throw me under the bus like that, but I can see how it isn't worth the risk lol. Staying mum about my plans doesn't sound like a bad idea regardless of what happens.

So, apparently there was a barber shop in Missouri with 2 symptomatic employees that potentially exposed 140 people to the coronavirus. Apparently no one was infected because everyone was wearing masks.

I'm just wondering if this means that it's okay to get a haircut, because I have to take care of my situation. I look like Goku when I wake up every morning.

14 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

So, apparently there was a barber shop in Missouri with 2 symptomatic employees that potentially exposed 140 people to the coronavirus. Apparently no one was infected because everyone was wearing masks.

I'm just wondering if this means that it's okay to get a haircut, because I have to take care of my situation. I look like Goku when I wake up every morning.

That was a Great Clips and only 46 of the 140 opted to get tested, so, not an excellent study sample.

Sooooo...now because my company cannot apparently get there stuff together...all of us who were going to be furloughed got letters today rescinding them...emergency management meeting called for the morning to give us more info...(we weren't supposed to get the letters this afternoon apparently, but afyer the meeting tomorrow...)

So, yay...?

It's now been I think exactly three months since I've shaved, and I feel like I can pretty definitely (and unfortunately) say I'm not a beard guy. The places where it fully came in look decent actually, but its way too patchy to be a good look overall. I'm keeping it for now, since no one is seeing me anyway, but this won't be a permanent look.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

It's now been I think exactly three months since I've shaved, and I feel like I can pretty definitely (and unfortunately) say I'm not a beard guy. The places where it fully came in look decent actually, but its way too patchy to be a good look overall. I'm keeping it for now, since no one is seeing me anyway, but this won't be a permanent look.

Maybe you can trim it closely, and get that hot 5 o’clock shadow look!

Unfortunately I was right about the layoff. I was told 160 other people were being laid off this day from my company. I did feel sad about this the past two days (even though I was feeling pretty set on quitting in the fall...). I'm glad my boss dropped a hint that this was coming so I could go ahead and process it. I feel okay now and had pretty much accepted it by the meeting.

Also, one year ago today was actually my first day in this job lol.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:24 PM, Kalbear said:

or he won't! I just don't think that making any definitive statements about anything is reasonable. Hell, right now the stock market has almost caught up to what it was pre-covid - which is an ABSURD run given how far it fell. And sadly, a lot of people don't care about how bad some people are doing as long as the stock market looks good.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:25 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Total agreement from me. I never thought the stimulus was put together in a long term meaningful way.  I also thought I was gonna avoid this point...coulda woulda shoulda and all that...

Exact moment I passed out :P

There's nothing absurd about the rebound. The people with the means to wait it out feasted on those that sold low, then the market went back up as people were forced back into the market. The rich are just getting richer right now.

Jax, as long as the checks clear, it's not so bad. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jax, as long as the checks clear, it's not so bad. 

This is true.

Though it's not something I have to worry about now...for now...who knows what's going to change in two weeks?

Its been 12 days since they shoved a swab up my nose, and I still dont have my test results. I'm not sure what the hold up is, but the utility of this test diminishes the more time it takes to get the results. While the test taking was smooth and efficient (like I said, the presence of the MI National Guard helped with that), the actual testing has been hot garbage.

Since I'm going to be working from home for the long-haul, I've finally decided to break down and buy a home office chair.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm specifically looking for something ergonomic, since I have back and neck arthritis, and comfortable. Don't really care about any specific features, although I wouldn't rule any out either, and I'm not shy about price since I'll be using it a lot, but preferably nothing too outrageous.

Archived