Covid 19 and Your Life #2: It's Personal

Zorral

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

My daughter's test isn't scheduled until tomorrow, but my household is now under a mandatory lock-down [testing exempted] until the swab results from my 10 year come back negative for covid.

Fuck.

I'm sorry, man. That sucks. You're doing the right thing, and I hope it comes back soon. 

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Hellberta, my current and temporary home, is shifting into Phase 2 of returning to normalcy. 

When I'm out and about, I have my mask on. Same with the kiddos, but I really don't take them anywhere unless we have to. But yeah, 90+ % of the people I see aren't wearing masks.

It's ridiculous.

Shit.

What's going on in Alberta? Meat packing plants? Farm workers? Is there a hot spot?

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

I'm sorry, man. That sucks. You're doing the right thing, and I hope it comes back soon. 

Locally, we have a 24 hour turn around results on here. I've been told [by health professionals] that it's significantly less if it's a positive result.  

Still though, kinda stressful. 

Thanks. 

59 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Shit.

What's going on in Alberta? Meat packing plants? Farm workers? Is there a hot spot?

Besides our Premier being a fucking right wing idiot, I don't know. I'd be shocked if my ten year's result comes back positive, but, I'm not a health professional.

9 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Besides our Premier being a fucking right wing idiot, I don't know. I'd be shocked if my ten year's result comes back positive, but, I'm not a health professional.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her and all your family. What a stressful wait. :( 

So I got some takeout at a nice little Mexican restaurant today. Ordering the food was a bit comical though, me in my mask and being a poor listener, he (waiter) in his mask and being soft spoken and speaking in a second language.

Usually in such situations you can lipread to piece the conversation together, doesnt work with everyone in masks though right?

Anyways I plodded through the exchange and figured I would just ask the cashier what food I was actually going to receive. Twas delicious btw..

17 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

My daughter's test isn't scheduled until tomorrow, but my household is now under a mandatory lock-down [testing exempted] until the swab results from my 10 year come back negative for covid.

Fuck.

Shit. I hope it comes back negative, and soon.  I know how stressful this is. Like you said, it is highly unlikely it's positive, you were really careful.

A week ago we were waiting on test results for Dalthor. it takes 48 hours here and they only contact you if it's a positive, so the last few hours of waiting were very stressful, even though I didn't really expect it to be positive. Still, it was a relief to not get a phonecall and my principal was even more relieved than we were. He had literally kicked me out of school the minute I told him of dalthor's potential covid19 status, he just had me get the boys and leave right in the middle of a lesson. He went into full paranoia mode while D, the boys and I were stuck at home.

All was good, thankfully. I was able to return back to school, so were the boys, and we all finished up the school year today, such as it was.

Here they'll let you know of a negative result if you ask for it, which I have. 

I took her in to the family doc because over the last six weeks she's been having intermittent spells of shortness of breath coupled with discomfort in her diaphragm region. Personally, I think it might be anxiety related [she's very bright, digs into things, and can really work herself up] but our doctor insisted on this test first so here we are.

I just cannot imagine how she might have it and her two families (ours, and theirs with her mother) are completely fine, but who knows.

And thanks Mash. I'm glad you, D and the boys are likewise well. It's almost surprising how nerve wracking this is.

Hope your daughter is OK, J.  Meanwhile, I am feeling a bit like I am sure teachers did in March. I just heard Wednesday that there will be no performances with in person audiences on campus this fall. Not quite sure how I’m gonna make a performance series happen. On the up shot, my reappointment letter came in the mail today. No raise, but I’m ever so thankful to still be employed, all things considered. 

Best links for presenting to refute the "covid is no different than the flu, and I know because it's my job, I studied microbiology and stuff" crowd...?

I mean, I don't expect them to listen, but perhaps others followong the arguments can get good info from it...

Gods, I cannot abide people who consider themselves "experts" because reasons...

Ahhh...parsing through the insults and innuendo...my "expert" is arguing that covid is no worse than the flu because it's certainly possible that it's more likely 50 million people already have had it and it's gone underreported, particularly by the CDC...

When you get the flu, you have a very shitty handful of days, and then it's over. You don't suffer through 3 full weeks of breathing issues or downright pneumonia. Besides, flu doesn't have the habit of wrecking up your lungs and body so that you're still fully exhausted and out of breath 3 months after you got it.

It's not just the death ratio that is wildly different, it's the whole thing which is far worse.

And, of course, there's definitely not 50 mio US people who already got it. There's a quite similar pattern when you look at areas and countries who did wide-scale testing, including for antibodies, and even the worst-hit places barely had 20% people who were infected (for Madrid, where it was a bloodbath, it seems to have been barely 12-13%).

I've had pneumonia twice, both times as complications from a bad flu. The second time almost killed me, as while bed ridden for 5 days I developed a clot in my leg that resulted in a PE. This coming from a guy who isn't sickly, and, at the time was spending 10 hours a week with a personal trainer. Good diet too, excepting too much coffee maybe. Anyway. Permanent vascular damage in my left leg, diminished lung capacity. Also permanent.

Some strains of flu ain't funny, yo. 

That said, Jaxom is right. My brother has a PhD in microbiology, and is also a MD that went on to specialize [Ophthalmology]. He thought it [covid] was a bad-ish type flu at first too. But we're learning more about covid, and it's suspected it's more like a vascular disease--which is rare [SARS and H1N1 weren't] and that's concerning.  

So Monday a.m. I'm going to see if I can get in for a virus test and get some kind of reasonably quick response. Not that I have any symptoms, but I don't want to risk exposing my elderly parents. We had made plans to see them for the first time since the holidays.

Hopefully this can be accomplished in our window of opportunity, otherwise I'm postponing the visit till the Fall when I can make sure I've been tested and cleared in advance of a visit.

I just cannot take the risk of seeing them without making sure I haven't had an exposure. Especially since I've been an essential worker throughout the pandemic and have had to be in places when it was difficult to impossible to socially distance 100% of the time.

I've used masks and washed hands regularly but workmates can represent a moving target so even with your best efforts there's an element of risk just being in the workforce under these circumstances.

Anywho we'll see if I can get in tommorow, on the internet it's saying no appt needed and they will test everyone, hoping so, this area being a low population center makes things more likely to get in imo.

So, with all the Covid-19-related extra expenses so many households have had to make for school at home, work from home, masks etc - are any of them eligible for tax write-offs? Apologies if this has been covered earlier posts or thread iterations. 

Tomorrow will be the second funeral I'll have missed in 2 weeks due to virus. Both colleagues, past/present. I know I'll feel I dont have any closure, I can't imagine how nearest and dearest will feel. 

Lack of a wake to talk and drink and laugh and cry will hurt, it always seems the most important part to me. 

So: 

Our family doc, after visit re: daughter's shortness of breath: 24 hour turn around on the test

Healthlink booking service: 24 to 48 hours

Nurse at mobile testing site: 2 to 4 days

We're over three days here now, and I could curse a streak across the plane of reality.

ALL CLEAR

Jesus Christ. 

Now to figure out if it's asthma or allergies or anxiety or what the fuck ever, poor kiddo, but yay.

I don't think I've ever been that stressed in my life, and I've had some misadventures. What a relief.

20 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

ALL CLEAR

Jesus Christ. 

Now to figure out if it's asthma or allergies or anxiety or what the fuck ever, poor kiddo, but yay.

I don't think I've ever been that stressed in my life, and I've had some misadventures. What a relief.

Thank heavens! Hope you can sort stuff out now!

Archived