Covid 19 and Your Life #2: It's Personal

Zorral

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Its been 12 days since they shoved a swab up my nose, and I still dont have my test results. I'm not sure what the hold up is, but the utility of this test diminishes the more time it takes to get the results. While the test taking was smooth and efficient (like I said, the presence of the MI National Guard helped with that), the actual testing has been hot garbage.

I went two weeks ago to be tested and they told me I’d only get a call if I was positive, but test results could be found on-line. For some reason the web site wouldn’t let me in, so after seeing your post I decided to confirm the results. It was indeed negative. Did you see Tears’ post as well? She had to track down her results too.

45 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Since I'm going to be working from home for the long-haul, I've finally decided to break down and buy a home office chair.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm specifically looking for something ergonomic, since I have back and neck arthritis, and comfortable. Don't really care about any specific features, although I wouldn't rule any out either, and I'm not shy about price since I'll be using it a lot, but preferably nothing too outrageous.

I have the MARKUS chair from IKEA and I love it. My boyfriend got the same one because he liked mine so much. It's their highest end office chair, but it's still IKEA so it was <$200.

59 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Since I'm going to be working from home for the long-haul, I've finally decided to break down and buy a home office chair.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm specifically looking for something ergonomic, since I have back and neck arthritis, and comfortable. Don't really care about any specific features, although I wouldn't rule any out either, and I'm not shy about price since I'll be using it a lot, but preferably nothing too outrageous.

If you're serious about wanting a proper ergonomic chair, I'd recommend looking at a gaming chair rather than an office chair actually. I've heard really good things about the Secret Lab Omega and Titan chairs.

https://secretlab.co/collections/omega-series?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=us-google-shop&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=datafeed#omega_2020-stealth&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz4z3BRCgARIsAES_OVdUEtaajaZBFwjsfBvEmuarAbz7IRGMnnDblVbKW0PJRAL4bXvFE5QaAgZzEALw_wcB

https://secretlab.co/collections/titan-series?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=us-google-shop&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=datafeed#titan_2020-black&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz4z3BRCgARIsAES_OVdVLnvUyeKDoDdeaMnyyz817xsPEpPpMCb3ngn41eewW97gEYWxLQAaAtGpEALw_wcB

You are looking at a $359 to $399 price tag though.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

22 minutes ago, Starkess said:

I have the MARKUS chair from IKEA and I love it. My boyfriend got the same one because he liked mine so much. It's their highest end office chair, but it's still IKEA so it was <$200.

Thanks both of you!

I will definitely check them both out.

And both of those are within my price range. Given the number of hours I spend in it every day, I'm willing to shell out more than I normally would.

Someone else had mentioned looking at gaming chairs, so I'll definitely check those out too.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I went two weeks ago to be tested and they told me I’d only get a call if I was positive, but test results could be found on-line. For some reason the web site wouldn’t let me in, so after seeing your post I decided to confirm the results. It was indeed negative. Did you see Tears’ post as well? She had to track down her results too.

We werent given a website, just that we'd get a phone call if positive and a letter in the mail if negative (and a pamphlet that said results would be sent out in 2-5 business days). However, judging by posts on local FB pages, it appears as if no one has received any results.

21 hours ago, Starkess said:

21 hours ago, Fez said:

I’ve been thinking too about a better office chair.  Aeron chairs are very expensive though: $1,400 new (plus sales tax takes that well over $1,500).

I do try to stand during the day too for more variation in posture.  But the problem with Zoom calls is that staying in the frame of a laptop camera doesn’t work well when I raise my monitor to stand.  I need to look too at a better variable desk set-up than just elevating the monitor.

Will just ditto the Markus chair from IKEA. Linda and I use them. They're comfortable and supportive. Only issue we've had is that we work from home, so between that and non-work computer time, they get a lot of use and are showing some wear after 4-5 years of butts-in-seats.

I admit, I have considered higher-end chairs -- I know the Aerons and other chairs from Herman Miller have 12 year warranties for parts and labor, so they really stand by them -- but keep putting it off. Mostly because with the dogs it feels like the inevitable slobber and hair-in-upholstery kinds of issues would annoy a lot more if we're talking a $1,500 chair.

23 hours ago, Starkess said:

23 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Thanks both of you!

I will definitely check them both out.

And both of those are within my price range. Given the number of hours I spend in it every day, I'm willing to shell out more than I normally would.

Someone else had mentioned looking at gaming chairs, so I'll definitely check those out too.

I have recently bought the Millberget chair from IKEA. It's lower end of the price range I guess but it is comfortable enough for me. Depends on the height of you and your desk though, it only just raises high enough for my arms to be in a comfortable position on the desk

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/millberget-swivel-chair-bomstad-black-70339413/

23 hours ago, Fez said:

I picked up a Secret Labs Titan right before the pandemic hit.  My wife really enjoys making fun of me that it was the most expensive furniture I had bought in the last few years, but after four months of working at home, its been a life (back) saver. 

46 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I have recently bought the Millberget chair from IKEA. It's lower end of the price range I guess but it is comfortable enough for me. Depends on the height of you and your desk though, it only just raises high enough for my arms to be in a comfortable position on the desk

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/millberget-swivel-chair-bomstad-black-70339413/

I guess it would depend. I'm relatively tall so that could be an issue.

28 minutes ago, Triskele said:

You know, if you'd asked me "What kind of stature does a Lich have? I would not have been sure.  You learn something every day.

Or wait.  Are there Lich of all sizes and your stature helped you become king?

Are you king over all Lich wherever they reside and you just happen to hail from Oklahoma, or do you only rule the Oklahoma Lich?  So many questions...

Well played ser.

Just tell me NYC isn't going to have another wave. As of yesterday we were down to 37 new hospitalizations.  What the eff was the point of all this, when now we've got this?  Lots of these, if not most, don't live in that nabe, and lot if not most, are even from other states.  Coming here to PARTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

8 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Does this mean you'll reveal nothing?  I must have answers to these questions.

You'll get your answers! When it's a cold day in HELL!!1!1!1!1!1!!!!

I worked my first week back and everything went pretty smoothly. Tattooing in a mask in an enclosed room all day sucks but I got a Dyson fan and that helps a lot. Clients are still being obnoxious to my assistant regarding scheduling

One unexpected COVID hiccup is cat grooming. Nowhere that previously took dogs and cats is taking cats at all, and all the cat only groomers are not taking new clients. I have no means of getting Hector groomed. He’s a 6 month old Persian and while I brush him extensively every day, due to his age and coat texture, he mats in his armpits within hours. He needs a lion cut. But, trimming a rowdy kitten who doesn’t want to hold still is a job for a professional. I have a shitty clipper off amazon for between appointments for Fernando, but Nando has some skin issues where I don’t want to share tools for them. So I had to spend $200 on professional clippers for Hector, and I am about to be clawed within an inch of my life.

Our goverment decided that mask are not necessary in most situations anymore. Time will tell if this is too early I guess. 

I still have FFP3 masks and went shopping wearing one today. I actually felt less stressed than before because people avoided me unlike the mask below the nose folks I encountered in the last two weeks. 

Diy emergency haircut for Hector was a horrible disaster and my only option left (and perhaps judging my Hector’s reaction to the clippers, the only option all along), is to have the vet sedate him and shave him. He was so freaked out he managed to claw my palm, and the force it takes to get a cat claw through palm skin is pretty intense. Poor Hector

3 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Diy emergency haircut for Hector was a horrible disaster and my only option left (and perhaps judging my Hector’s reaction to the clippers, the only option all along), is to have the vet sedate him and shave him. He was so freaked out he managed to claw my palm, and the force it takes to get a cat claw through palm skin is pretty intense. Poor Hector

That is painful.  BTW, around here, all the tattoo places are now open too.

4 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Finally got my test results back, which was negative as I expected.

This is good.

23 minutes ago, Triskele said:

The work-from-home thing has been surprisingly successful for me, but like the Lich-King my chair is massively inadequate.  Had to set up my work station at the kitchen table and just eat meals over in the TV room.  The kitchen table chairs are serviceable for short bursts, but it's now just killing me for 9-10 hours.  

Taking a risk on a cheaper ergonomic chair from Amazon, but after I ordered it I wondered if I'd done some poor game theory and that while they're saying back in the office by September at the earliest I do wonder if they're sending us home for ever, and this was a situation where I should have made more of an investment.  

The Lich King has decided that levitation is superior to sitting, which should be reserved for mere mortals.

Archived