Covid 19 and Your Life #2: It's Personal

Zorral

I'm an experimental scientist, so I have to get back to the vicinity of a lab at some point. It looks it may happen soon, but work is taking all the precautions they can (and with input from us). A phased approach is best, where the first phase involves having just enough people in that social distancing is still possible, Of course, in-person meetings are discouraged, but like I said, we need to have lab work happen at some point.

Looks like I’m back at it on 6/1, with some new PPE requirements that a few people (probably not my own clients who are mostly cool) will be irate about. Judging by the number of colds the mouthbreathers I have to touch at work give me, I am not confident at all, no matter what precautions are taken, that they will refrain from infecting me with the plague.

8 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Looks like I’m back at it on 6/1, with some new PPE requirements that a few people (probably not my own clients who are mostly cool) will be irate about. Judging by the number of colds the mouthbreathers I have to touch at work give me, I am not confident at all, no matter what precautions are taken, that they will refrain from infecting me with the plague.

I've been wondering just how this will work exactly. I think people with a long history of getting tattoos will be just fine, they know to respect their artist. But I'm also seeing a lot of people saying they want to get a "COVID tattoo," i.e. their first, whatever they want, and those people I have a lot less faith in. I've never gotten one, probably never will, but I've been in the room when GFs are getting them and some react better to the pain than others, as you obviously know, and they will possibly take their masks off, or at least try to, and then where does that leave you?

Moreover though, how are restaurants suppose to work now that we literally have to wear masks in public where we live? Can you take it off while you're at your table, or just move it around to take bites? Neither option seems very hygienic to me. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've been wondering just how this will work exactly. I think people with a long history of getting tattoos will be just fine, they know to respect their artist. But I'm also seeing a lot of people saying they want to get a "COVID tattoo," i.e. their first, whatever they want, and those people I have a lot less faith in. I've never gotten one, probably never will, but I've been in the room when GFs are getting them and some react better to the pain than others, as you obviously know, and they will possibly take their masks off, or at least try to, and then where does that leave you?

Moreover though, how are restaurants suppose to work now that we literally have to wear masks in public where we live? Can you take it off while you're at your table, or just move it around to take bites? Neither option seems very hygienic to me. 

We’ll be required to wear masks (client AND artist), appointment only (I was already, so this is no change), and 25% capacity that fire code allows. The shop I’m at is pretty bougie and is huge with private booths that fully enclosed so full capacity everyone working is still 25% of code. We are taking the furniture out of the lobby so nobody can sit there, and we will call people in when we are ready for them, if they are early they need to wait in the car. I am also not going to let clients have their phones.

Basically, here’s gonna be the procedure-

client arrives, calls from car

we call back when they are clear to enter

client enters, Is given temperature check, is brought to wash hands

client fills out paperwork (including a new COVID waiver)

client needs to have a mask without valves on it, no phone with, will be given instructions not to touch front of mask.

tattooer has mask, arm covers, apron

Everything else is normal except that I’ll be setting up and tearing down and cleaning my booth myself instead of having the counter staff do that, to reduce points of contact.

As for the clients, I think most other shops will have it worse than ours. The shop I’m at is tattooer famous so it’s mostly people who get large scale work and are serious collectors. In our case nobody is starting back with an open schedule even after 10 weeks closure, there’s still appointments booked before the shutdown that will go as planned and the ones during the shutdown will need to be rescheduled before we are able to book anything new. So I’m looking at putting new projects into wintertime. My clients all know I’m one bad burrito from throwing bricks with the Black Bloc and won’t be parroting any conservative talking points at me. And my assistant will be calling them all ahead to let them know what to expect so the whining phase should be over by the time I have to deal with anyone. The one point I expect some pushback for is that they can’t bring anyone with them, some people are real babies about that but again, other gatekeepers will catch that before it is my problem.

I appreciate the breakdown, @Fury Resurrected. That does actually sound like as good as you can hope for, but I also agree other places will not be able to have the same set up. 

Just out of curiosity, what are your standard rates, if that's something you feel comfortable sharing? I could take an educated guess at where you're at, and friends that have gotten really detailed works done at the few places I'd guess spent several thousands of dollars for their work, even for relatively smaller things. I'm sure you've worked on a few of them yourself.

Also, I guess all my ex's are real babies then. I cannot recall one getting some work done who didn't want me with them. OTOH, pretty fun when one of them would be like "I've got a surprise for you" and show me her new piercing(s).  

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I appreciate the breakdown, @Fury Resurrected. That does actually sound like as good as you can hope for, but I also agree other places will not be able to have the same set up. 

Just out of curiosity, what are your standard rates, if that's something you feel comfortable sharing? I could take an educated guess at where you're at, and friends that have gotten really detailed works done at the few places I'd guess spent several thousands of dollars for their work, even for relatively smaller things. I'm sure you've worked on a few of them yourself.

Also, I guess all my ex's are real babies then. I cannot recall one getting some work done who didn't want me with them. OTOH, pretty fun when one of them would be like "I've got a surprise for you" and show me her new piercing(s).  

It kinda depends on a couple other factors (there is a premium for things I am supremely uninterested in doing, and I cut my long term favorite regulars a price break), but officially I bill out at 170/hr

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It kinda depends on a couple other factors (there is a premium for things I am supremely uninterested in doing, and I cut my long term favorite regulars a price break), but officially I bill out at 170/hr

Hmm.

I really do have a hard time picturing anything I'd want, and despite how proud of my body I am, I would make for a terrible canvass. I'm a muscular guy with really inconsistent body hair, so I'm not sure much would look good on me outside of getting something on certain parts of my arms.

That rate is fair though for good work. I'd pay it if there was something I did want. I've seen some of the work you've posted over the years, and it is very well done and quite tasteful. 

I'm planning a day trip tomorrow and it's honestly bringing me SO much happiness. I'm heading to Indiana to check out a national park that I've been meaning to do ever since I moved here. Plus their beaches are open! I can't even walk on the damn lakefront trail here.

To be clear, I am doing nothing against any lockdown orders, and I will have little exposure risk during this trip. The worst parts will be a) the train and b) restrooms, but I feel comfortable with the mitigating factors and small level of risk. I am so excited to do some hiking, see some nature, and have a godsdamned change of scenery.

I never would have thought I'd be this excited to go to Indiana...

I got tested today because it was free and available to people without symptoms and I want to make sure I’m as safe as possible before returning to work so I’m not the Typhoid Mary of my industry (that’ll definitely happen to someone though, there are a lot of very stupid tattooers)

What a clever mouse indeed.

That is something I have not seen before. It climbed up a cord, then sat on the top of the open trash can, looking at me. I waited for a while, not moving. It kept watching me. After a good long while of silence, it turned around and tried to figure out how to get into the trash. It sat there for several minutes.

Cold bastard I know, but I was hoping it would just fall inside and I could quickly take the bag to the outside garbage. But the moment I moved, after slowly trying to reach for something. It jumped away.

And now it's here under my desk. I almost want to let it live. Maybe I'll be lazy and not set the traps again. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Shit, I really am a softy liberal. I have a yoga mat rolled up in the corner, and a baby mouse was just sitting on top of it.

My attempt to whack it was pretty half-hearted. 

Truth be told. 

Don’t let the mouse disrespect you like that. 

Same thing happened to me when I was 17. 

The peanut butter and the “snap” got it in the end. 

1 minute ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Could we maybe not talk about killing animals?

Ugh

Kay you know I respect and admire you deeply, but is the fucking thing just suppose to run all over my place? It's a mouse. You and I had a cats v.s dogs debate, with me taking the latter. Your cats would have done the same, as would Adrian the sneaky snake that escaped.

Archived