Harley Quinn [Animated series]

Veltigar

As promised, a thread dedicated to the Harley Quinn series on DC Universe. This is an absolutely delightful piece of animation, with some of the best writing I have seen in a long time. Don't know how big the interest is going to be, but really check it out!

While Harley and Ivy are certainly the heart of this show, I'm just going to post a little video with moments of Bane here, as that was what got me into the series in the first place!

I really enjoy it. I was hesitant about the piss take approach but they do so in a way that shows more knowledge of the characters than a lot of the "serious" takes do. Dr Psycho is great as are the rest of her crew and bane cracks me up just by speaking. Even Gordon works in the sense that you probably would feel insecure if you rely on batman to do your job.

It's a shame the birds of prey film couldn't capture the same energy but i think it's the animation that makes it click.

One of the best sitcoms currently on air.

On 5/20/2020 at 11:26 PM, red snow said:

I really enjoy it. I was hesitant about the piss take approach but they do so in a way that shows more knowledge of the characters than a lot of the "serious" takes do. Dr Psycho is great as are the rest of her crew and bane cracks me up just by speaking. Even Gordon works in the sense that you probably would feel insecure if you rely on batman to do your job.

It's a shame the birds of prey film couldn't capture the same energy but i think it's the animation that makes it click.

One of the best sitcoms currently on air.

I knew I could count on you to watch this Red and I almost completely agree with you. I do think Birds of Prey had some more problems than just being live-action (namely the horrible writing), but this show is just such a little gem. I hope it influences future live action films :D

Curious to see the final episode tomorrow!

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I knew I could count on you to watch this Red and I almost completely agree with you. I do think Birds of Prey had some more problems than just being live-action (namely the horrible writing), but this show is just such a little gem. I hope it influences future live action films :D

Shame it's the final episode tomorrow but we've had two seasons in around 6 months so can't really grumble. I think the DC adaptations have been quite interesting for the streaming channel (I don't touch the CW shows anymore), they've taken the "adult approach" but in a variety of ways from being violent (titans), weird/zany (Doom Patrol) and outrageous comedy (Harley).

The episode that began with the two comic geeks was priceless. Even more funny as one of them had the SnyderCut T-shirt on (wonder if they knew about that already?). Speaking of, the films could definitely benefit from some of the approaches being shown in the TV department. Some of the animated films are better than the live-action films eg the recent apokolips war.

On 5/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, red snow said:

Shame it's the final episode tomorrow but we've had two seasons in around 6 months so can't really grumble. I think the DC adaptations have been quite interesting for the streaming channel (I don't touch the CW shows anymore), they've taken the "adult approach" but in a variety of ways from being violent (titans), weird/zany (Doom Patrol) and outrageous comedy (Harley).

The episode that began with the two comic geeks was priceless. Even more funny as one of them had the SnyderCut T-shirt on (wonder if they knew about that already?). Speaking of, the films could definitely benefit from some of the approaches being shown in the TV department. Some of the animated films are better than the live-action films eg the recent apokolips war.

I'm really psyched for the last episode tonight :)

I was rewatching this clip from So2Ep7 (massive spoilers for someone who hasn't seen this yet, so stay clear)

Spoiler

It's just perfect. Not just because of the kiss, which really is the first culmination of a magnificently build-up love story, but also the overall intro to it. The contrast between Harley falling from a high altitude for the joker, who didn't save her and Harley falling from a high altitude for Ivy and Ivy coming back for her is just superb writing!

And if all that wasn't enough, you just have the perfect amount of hilarious Bane peppered throughout. I'll never get tired of Bane in his weird Bane voice saying "You cannot run from your problems Harley. Hate weighs you down. Only love sets us free"

Like, I'm not in therapy, but if I could get Bane as a councilor I'd wish I was!

Is there actually a reason why the two seasons follow each other so close together? I'm amazed by how they were able to keep the quality so high with such little space in between the two seasons :) 

On 5/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, red snow said:

Hmmm, I don't think so, just a great example of serendipity! 

Is there anything (animated film or tv-wise) that reaches the same pinnacles of quality as Harley Quinn?

I must admit the show has blown away me as a rather casual visitor of the DC universe as well. I think it just checks a lot of right boxes. The writers are extremely knowledgable about the lore of the setting and manage masterfully to include all kinds of often overlooked character backgrounds (and background characters) to add to the hilarity of the setting. Who would have thought that characters like Kiteman, Dr. Psycho and Sy Borgman become prominent characters that people love? On the other hand they are also very aware of the fandom perception of characters and take bits of that into account to add to the hilarity, what with making Bane's voice a constant mockery of Tom Hardy's suffocating mask or making Damian an ineffective brat nobody takes seriously. The characterizations are also a lovely mix over overexaggerating known character traits that might feel jarring to some, but at the same time make absolute sense in-universe. Clayface used to be an actor, so of course he could be an excitable method actor who uses his powers for impersonation or infiltration instead of being a brute thug. Gordon is the most ambitious cop in fucking Gotham city, so of course he is a burned out mess who is badly in need of a break. Poison Ivy is an eco-terrorist, so of course she absorbs modern views on wokeness and feminism into her worldview.

All this, in a way, reminds me quite alot of Arkham videogame series. Just like those managed to condense the DC universe extremely effectively in videogame format, Harley Quinn manages to condense all that into comedy format. And that's very much because it oozes a passion for the franchise as a whole, which in turn heavily influences how good the writing is. Because it can be spotty at times, especially in the at times quite rushed second season that I think got a bit too carried away with massive world-changing events, but the writing is just too self-aware and honest about its intentions and where their characters stand to make it much of an issue. Take for example the finale:

Spoiler

I must admit I wasn't a fan of the Harley/Ivy-kiss at the end of the terriffic pit episode. It oozed too much of fanservice. But making that a set-up for an episode about Harley escalating things horrenduously in an attempt to gloss a spur-in-the-moment accident over somehow managed to completely shoot down the cheap drama that would have followed in any other show about such a drastic scene that was thrown in with completely absent build-up.

I was also not a fan of getting Darkseid involved after already wrecking Gotham at the last season-finale and having spent 8 episodes taking it back from the villains. The death-toll at the end was indeed as bad as I feared (as I had hoped the 'inner parademons' would actually be just a Dr. Psycho induced dream sequence). And yet Darkseid's whole "I have no idea what's going on, but let's just see where this goes" attitude as well as, again, the whole crazyness being just a representation of Harley's meltdown somehow successfully took away all the stakes that this would have been in any other show. It just... I don't know, I watched the episode and things that by all means shouldn't work together somehow worked together regardless or rather because of it. I was very amused by Dr. Psycho's utter glee at the carnage, King Shark and Clayface somehow ending up playing shoulder angel with Batgirl, Gordon fighting off parademons with tanks and guns, Darkseid's hilarious eye expressions... there are so many details that just feel right.

This series really is something. Just watched the eight episode and it totally trolled me. Throughout the episode I really was scratching my head trying to anticipate how they'd wrap everything up for this season. The episode plays up certain things which you would expect in a season finale and then it just refuses to take a position that would be fitting to launch a third season from. You can imagine my confusion, but it turns out there are 5 more episodes coming this season... :bowdown:

I'm not looking forward to waiting for it on a weekly basis, as I'd rather binge it, like I did with season one. Still, 5 more episodes will be great to see :D 

As to this episode:

Spoiler

1. I really hope Bane isn't dead

2. As stated above, I though the episode has really weird energy for a season finale. The content was seemingly there, at least in the A-plot (climactic battle between Gordon + army and Harley's Darkseid levy). The Bplot on the other hand (Kitemand & Ivy) looked like it was a few episodes behind. Major trolling really. Kudoos to them for distracting me

On 5/23/2020 at 9:21 PM, Toth said:

I must admit the show has blown away me as a rather casual visitor of the DC universe as well. I think it just checks a lot of right boxes. The writers are extremely knowledgable about the lore of the setting and manage masterfully to include all kinds of often overlooked character backgrounds (and background characters) to add to the hilarity of the setting.

Welcome to the Legion of Doom Toth! Red and I are glad to have some company here. I hope more people will join us eventually.

Completely agree with your analysis here. I know very little of these characters, but one of the things I find wonderful about this show is how the writers manage to take their knowledge of both lore and perception of the characters and turn it into something that is so easy to follow even for a guy like me. I guess that for people with more deep cut knowledge this show is even better, as they can appreciate the parodies and links even more.

All this, in a way, reminds me quite alot of Arkham videogame series. Just like those managed to condense the DC universe extremely effectively in videogame format, Harley Quinn manages to condense all that into comedy format. And that's very much because it oozes a passion for the franchise as a whole, which in turn heavily influences how good the writing is. Because it can be spotty at times, especially in the at times quite rushed second season that I think got a bit too carried away with massive world-changing events, but the writing is just too self-aware and honest about its intentions and where their characters stand to make it much of an issue. Take for example the finale:

Hide contents

I must admit I wasn't a fan of the Harley/Ivy-kiss at the end of the terriffic pit episode. It oozed too much of fanservice. But making that a set-up for an episode about Harley escalating things horrenduously in an attempt to gloss a spur-in-the-moment accident over somehow managed to completely shoot down the cheap drama that would have followed in any other show about such a drastic scene that was thrown in with completely absent build-up.

It's weird how fast they have developed this second season. Most series that would be a terrible sign, but in general I think they hold up really well. Today's episode was a little bit patchy  (but in the show's defense, I was expecting a season finale ), but if I were binging the entire season I wouldn't even notice it. 

It's a bit strange to say it here, as the animation and voice acting is so great as well, but this show is just a textbook example of what good writers can do to a property. 

Hide contents

I was also not a fan of getting Darkseid involved after already wrecking Gotham at the last season-finale and having spent 8 episodes taking it back from the villains. The death-toll at the end was indeed as bad as I feared (as I had hoped the 'inner parademons' would actually be just a Dr. Psycho induced dream sequence). And yet Darkseid's whole "I have no idea what's going on, but let's just see where this goes" attitude as well as, again, the whole crazyness being just a representation of Harley's meltdown somehow successfully took away all the stakes that this would have been in any other show. It just... I don't know, I watched the episode and things that by all means shouldn't work together somehow worked together regardless or rather because of it. I was very amused by Dr. Psycho's utter glee at the carnage, King Shark and Clayface somehow ending up playing shoulder angel with Batgirl, Gordon fighting off parademons with tanks and guns, Darkseid's hilarious eye expressions... there are so many details that just feel right.

You know, my reaction differed a bit

Spoiler

I have very little knowledge of Harley as a character. In fact, apart from the fact that Margot Robbie is really hot I couldn't really tell you anything about Harley apart from what I have seen in Birds of Prey (a far inferior Harley product if I might add).

That also means that I had absolutely no clue that Harley and Ivy have a history together in the comics. Heck, I didn't really know anything about Poison Ivy. Aside from the fact that she like plants and was played by Uma Thurman (IIRC) in a 90' Batman flick, I knew nothing about her. And yet, to me at least it was very clear from the beginning that they were slowly building to something. When they are on the screen together, they just have chemistry, so when the kiss came and you could look back on the entire show I thought it was really cleverly done. Much better than the standard love story.

In fact, I'd say that my disappointment was more with this episode. When a thing like this happens in a more traditional setting, the reaction is almost always "let's deny that something happened even though it clearly did and it will definitely have an outsized impact on our future relationship." They did that here and if it wasn't for the brilliant escalation (of course Harley would randomly kiss people and swear fealty to a God of death to get an army in order to avoid telling Ivy how she really felt), I'd be a tad disappointed.

I'm very curious to see what mayham will be released in the remaining 5 episodes. 

I think they had quite a bit of development time prior to the show being released so it might be that they had a lot of season 2 completed before season 1 aired. I think it's a common practice with animated shows otherwise there's a huge gap. The distinction between seasons and "parts" are a bit arbitrary these days anyhow. Although this show so far stands up well in terms of having distinct season arcs.

I'm enjoying how the cast is fleshing out. They've wisely dropped/side-lined the plant and the landlord but increased the roles of Gordon and Batgirl (which was hilarious when he wasn't spotting all the obvious clues she was his daughter) and Kite-man is really endearing as an everyman.

I loved the callback with Gordon's tattoo. It's that attention to detail that makes the show a great comedy as it's not afraid to reference things and trust the audience to pick it up. All the best sitcoms do this.

22 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Is there anything (animated film or tv-wise) that reaches the same pinnacles of quality as Harley Quinn?

For me it's currently as strong as Rick and morty, Sunny in Philli, South Park and Arrested Development. But the sitcom elements in terms of relationships are more traditional like with Simpsons/futurama at their best.

I'd say Lego Batman movie is along the same lines but family friendly in terms of using all the DC characters in a fun way. 

Toth: you make a good point in how it distills decades of continuity into what makes the characters tick and while this show does it for comedy, it's what Batman:the animated series and the recent Spider-man game also managed to do effectively. The DC characters are a lot like Sherlock Holmes in that they have so many interpretations and re-imaginings already that they can be stretched to fit whatever it is you are going for if you are talented enough. I mean Harley's team could easily be used in a terrifying way instead of comedy. The same with Batman and Gordon.

12 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

How much does a DC subscription cost because now I'm seriously debating getting one for this and Doom Patrol?

Monthly about 8 USD :)

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I think they had quite a bit of development time prior to the show being released so it might be that they had a lot of season 2 completed before season 1 aired. I think it's a common practice with animated shows otherwise there's a huge gap. The distinction between seasons and "parts" are a bit arbitrary these days anyhow. Although this show so far stands up well in terms of having distinct season arcs.

Makes sense, I'll be looking forward to a third season if they ever make one ;)

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm enjoying how the cast is fleshing out. They've wisely dropped/side-lined the plant and the landlord but increased the roles of Gordon and Batgirl (which was hilarious when he wasn't spotting all the obvious clues she was his daughter) and Kite-man is really endearing as an everyman.

I do hope that they'll be back occasionally as I did quite like the plant in particular. They also seem to be moving Harley's crew a bit more into the background, but I hope we spend some time with them in the future. They often crack me up as the dynamic they have going on is just so cool.

Kiteman is such a weird character. On the one hand, he's just so lame. Very much like Jerry from Rick & Morty. On the other hand, he's endearing in a way to Jerry isn't and you can understand why someone like Poison Ivy would fall for him even if the pairing isn't very sustainable. He's just a nice guy.

16 hours ago, Veltigar said:

You know, my reaction differed a bit

Hide contents

I have very little knowledge of Harley as a character. In fact, apart from the fact that Margot Robbie is really hot I couldn't really tell you anything about Harley apart from what I have seen in Birds of Prey (a far inferior Harley product if I might add).

That also means that I had absolutely no clue that Harley and Ivy have a history together in the comics. Aside from the fact that she like plants and was played by Uma Thurman (IIRC) in a 90' Batman flick, I knew nothing about her. And yet, to me at least it was very clear from the beginning that they were slowly building to something. When they are on the screen together, they just have chemistry, so when the kiss came and you could look back on the entire show I thought it was really cleverly done. Much better than the standard love story.

In fact, I'd say that my disappointment was more with this episode. When a thing like this happens in a more traditional setting, the reaction is almost always "let's deny that something happened even though it clearly did and it will definitely have an outsized impact on our future relationship." They did that here and if it wasn't for the brilliant escalation (of course Harley would randomly kiss people and swear fealty to a God of death to get an army in order to avoid telling Ivy how she really felt), I'd be a tad disappointed.

I'm very curious to see what mayham will be released in the remaining 5 episodes. 

Agreed, I think the pairing was foreshadowed from the first episode and was such a healthy contrast to Harley's "relationship" with the Joker, but she had to overcome all that trauma in order for anything with Ivy to happen.

Also, just SO much chemistry!

Looking forward to seeing how the relationship develops

5 hours ago, Underfoot said:

Hide contents

Agreed, I think the pairing was foreshadowed from the first episode and was such a healthy contrast to Harley's "relationship" with the Joker, but she had to overcome all that trauma in order for anything with Ivy to happen.

Also, just SO much chemistry!

Looking forward to seeing how the relationship develops

Spoiler

Yeah, it really is insane how well Ivy and Harley match together in this show. If Ivy had been a guy, I think there is no way that anyone would not see an eventual relationship blooming between the two. They are just perfect for each other and the show knows it.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw an on-screen couple this good. Perhaps Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow? Otherwise I'm at a loss. Might have to go all the way back to P&P with Keira Knigtly and Matthew McFayden. Kind of sad that a DC superhero sitcom manages to be so much better than most films.

Anyhow, just really clever how it all sticks together. The contrast between Harley literally and figuratively falling for the Joker and Harley literally and figuratively falling for Ivy was perfect.

Ah, I think I expressed my sentiment a bit confusingly:

Spoiler

I was not denying that Harley and Ivy have great chemistry, I was just thinking that I felt like it was more pronounced in the first season due to the second season's high focus on the fight fight for the city and of course Ivy's relationship with Kiteman that until the last episode didn't spark any deeper reaction from Harley except the usual notion of Kiteman being lame and Ivy calling her out on not even noticing that she was in a relationship, which is a really odd choice of conflict if Harley had a romantic interest in Ivy before the kiss. After all that I thought the IvyxHarley ship to have taken a backseat until maybe much later if IvyxKiteman didn't work out. Therefore the kiss came rather unexpected to me and made me worry, but in the end I thought the episode still handled it fairly well (and maybe even used it as a starting point for Harley to develop some more, given her penchant to only be dragged to important realizations kicking and screaming).

Also anyone else noting how King Shark and Clayface were entirely up to it when Batgirl suggested switching to the good guy side? I feel like that could be a great one-shot episode about Harley trying (and likely failing) to be a hero. Makes me think of the Injustice universe where Harley is basically a member of the Batfamily after the death of the Joker and her deciding to sort her life out for the sake of her daughter.

So I watched the clip at the top of the thread not expecting much (don't think I've ever watched any DC tv show before), but that was freaking hilarious. I've watched the first three episodes so far and I think this show is great. I'd be surprised if this led to me watching any serious shows, but I love the humor and its got a bunch of voice actors that I'm a big fan of.

I'm happy to see that our little thread community is attracting new disciples :D 

9 hours ago, Fez said:

So I watched the clip at the top of the thread not expecting much (don't think I've ever watched any DC tv show before), but that was freaking hilarious. I've watched the first three episodes so far and I think this show is great. I'd be surprised if this led to me watching any serious shows, but I love the humor and its got a bunch of voice actors that I'm a big fan of.

DC should really pay @WarGalley royalties. If he hadn't posted that clip, I would not have gotten into the series either most likely :) 

On 5/25/2020 at 9:40 AM, Toth said:

Ah, I think I expressed my sentiment a bit confusingly:

Hide contents

I was not denying that Harley and Ivy have great chemistry, I was just thinking that I felt like it was more pronounced in the first season due to the second season's high focus on the fight fight for the city and of course Ivy's relationship with Kiteman that until the last episode didn't spark any deeper reaction from Harley except the usual notion of Kiteman being lame and Ivy calling her out on not even noticing that she was in a relationship, which is a really odd choice of conflict if Harley had a romantic interest in Ivy before the kiss. After all that I thought the IvyxHarley ship to have taken a backseat until maybe much later if IvyxKiteman didn't work out. Therefore the kiss came rather unexpected to me and made me worry, but in the end I thought the episode still handled it fairly well (and maybe even used it as a starting point for Harley to develop some more, given her penchant to only be dragged to important realizations kicking and screaming).

Also anyone else noting how King Shark and Clayface were entirely up to it when Batgirl suggested switching to the good guy side? I feel like that could be a great one-shot episode about Harley trying (and likely failing) to be a hero. Makes me think of the Injustice universe where Harley is basically a member of the Batfamily after the death of the Joker and her deciding to sort her life out for the sake of her daughter.

I think what I bolded in your post seems exactly right 

Spoiler

As you so cannily observed, there really is a pattern to how she deals with emotional revelations. It's also clear that she needed to get Mr. J out of her system first to make room for someone else.

As to King Shark & Clay Face, they'll eventually switch to the "relatively good" side with Harley I guess. She's more heroic in this show than a pure villain, but the random carnage she causes she'll not forsake soon I think (especially as you get some really great gags from it)

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I'm happy to see that our little thread community is attracting new disciples :D 

DC should really pay @WarGalley royalties. If he hadn't posted that clip, I would not have gotten into the series either most likely :) 

Seriously. Although, it's a bit disappointing that not all of season two is already out. I was kinda hoping to watch the whole show before my 7-day free trial is up. Still, paying for a month of the service isn't so bad. Sure beats my original plan of paying $2 per episode to Youtube (though that would've been buying them, and I can imagine wanting to rewatch this at some point).

Since I'm not that familiar with the overall DC universe beyond the live action Batman and Superman movies over the years, I don't know how much of the show is original versus putting a snarky spin on existing material. But to me there seem to be some inspired choices being made by the writers. Like having Clayface be an aspiring, yet terrible, actor.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Seriously. Although, it's a bit disappointing that not all of season two is already out. I was kinda hoping to watch the whole show before my 7-day free trial is up. Still, paying for a month of the service isn't so bad. Sure beats my original plan of paying $2 per episode to Youtube (though that would've been buying them, and I can imagine wanting to rewatch this at some point).

Since I'm not that familiar with the overall DC universe beyond the live action Batman and Superman movies over the years, I don't know how much of the show is original versus putting a snarky spin on existing material. But to me there seem to be some inspired choices being made by the writers. Like having Clayface be an aspiring, yet terrible, actor.

Yeah I've still just been watching all of the Harley Quinn clips I can find on youtube vs paying for DC streaming. Clips from the Darkseid episode came up pretty quickly but of course you're only getting a couple of 3 - 5 minute clips at a time (along with the continuity breaks and incompleteness inherent in them). I do want to support the writers, creators, and production staff but:

1) It's hard to justify a 3rd streaming subscription when I don't even watch Netflix and Prime as much, and they have large backlogs in and of themselves (particularly with Shelter in Place starting to get relaxed and where I'll likely be watching less TV during the week)

2) I don't think I can watch the entire series in 7 days with my work/life schedule so I'm not bothered to even try. 

3) $20 bucks for a single season seems excessive for something I'm unlikely to re-watch multiple times. Might be the best way to go though for now..

On 5/22/2020 at 12:35 AM, Veltigar said:

I'm really confused with all this "final episode" and "finale" talk here. I'm pretty sure there are 5 more episodes this season. The finale (called "Runaway Bridesmaid" is supposed to air on 26 June. https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/05/14/what-to-watch-and-read-on-dc-universe-this-june

FYI, this show should also be included with HBO Max, which is what HBO Now should be turning into. 

ETA: I'm wrong! Only Doom Patrol is on it right now. 

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I'm really confused with all this "final episode" and "finale" talk here. I'm pretty sure there are 5 more episodes this season. The finale (called "Runaway Bridesmaid" is supposed to air on 26 June. https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/05/14/what-to-watch-and-read-on-dc-universe-this-june

We know that now, but initially IMDB only listed 8 episodes for the second season. They only added the titles/existence of the other episodes after episode 8 had aired, so we initially thought episode 8 was the finale ;) 

On 5/26/2020 at 5:02 PM, Fez said:

Like having Clayface be an aspiring, yet terrible, actor.

Apparently the original Clayface was a struggling actor. He used his clay powers differently though, if I look up his earlier incarnations he seems to have mostly been muscle. This series taking that character and using its powers in a more logical way seems quite inspired.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

FYI, this show should also be included with HBO Max, which is what HBO Now should be turning into. 

ETA: I'm wrong! Only Doom Patrol is on it right now. 

The name Doom Patrol has fallen a few times already in this thread. Is it any good?

Archived