Harley Quinn [Animated series]

Veltigar

On 5/27/2020 at 9:01 PM, Veltigar said:

We know that now, but initially IMDB only listed 8 episodes for the second season. They only added the titles/existence of the other episodes after episode 8 had aired, so we initially thought episode 8 was the finale ;) 

Apparently the original Clayface was a struggling actor. He used his clay powers differently though, if I look up his earlier incarnations he seems to have mostly been muscle. This series taking that character and using its powers in a more logical way seems quite inspired.

The name Doom Patrol has fallen a few times already in this thread. Is it any good?

Clayface is very much like his BTAS incarnation in terms of appearance and powers. The show (wisely) seems to base its characters mostly on the archetypes set up in the 90s cartoon (Harley was created in that show but Mr Freeze's origin was also created in that show.

Doom Patrol is good and probably deserves a lot more love. It's very meta in places, largely because the villain appears to be aware that he's in a TV show (and Alan Tudyk is always welcome). But it also has a really catchy off-kilter vibe that's hard to put a finger on. It's not really for laughs but it does generate humour and keeps you on your toes. I'd definitely give it a try.

And I'm caught up now. I didn't realize DC released episodes weekly though instead of the Netflix all-at-once model, so I guess I'll stay subscribed past my free trial until the season's over. Maybe check out Doom Patrol in the mean time?

I've really liked this show so far. I thought the final couple episodes of season 1 were a little shakey; seemed to be playing it a little too straight as a regular comics story. But I've really liked season 2 so far. The anarchic chaos of most of season one is still kinda missing, but the writing has been so sharp that I've been mostly content. I was even okay sitting through an episode that was all about Batman and that Harley Quinn wasn't even in; though only really because Bane was so heavily featured. It's a toss-up between him and King Shark for my favorite character. 

The latest three episodes have been amazing;

Spoiler

I didn't know that Harvey/Ivy were a thing in the comics. So I didn't necessarily expect this storyline to happen. Though Kaley Cuoco and Lake Bell have managed to convey such amazing chemistry just with their voices this whole time that I'm also not surprised. I just hope that the writers do right by Kite Man; make clear that he's having a shitty thing happen to him and that breakups are messy. And the crazy thing is, I kinda trust that they will. The writers have proven to be really capable folks, and not just good joke writers. Although the jokes have been really solid throughout. Except for The Little Mermaid parody song, that felt a little forced.

Does anyone know if there's the potential for a season three? Or is this a limited run deal that'll be over when this season is? Since seasons one and two were seemingly made at the same time, it certainly seems like there's a chance of that. But I'm really hoping for more.

Saw the latest episode. This show is really something. Comparatively, this wasn't one of the funnier episodes of Harley Quinn, but it did move the plot forward significantly

Spoiler

I was surprised that they had Ivy and Harley jumping in the sack together. And then they didn't do it once, but twice. I thought the show was going to take ages to get to this point, so pleasantly surprised that they skip over the wheel-spinning that most sitcoms would do

The funniest part of the episode was Ivy's friend from Minnesota. There is something about Mimosa's that really riles some people up! I have some friends who I could see become like that in a few years given kids.

I wasn't a big fan of the B-plot this week however

Spoiler

The only really interesting thing about it was really to reinforce the point again that Kiteman is such a boring non-presence. All the people on his stag party he knows through Ivy, which is kind of weird since Ivy is supposedly a recluse and she even manages to have more friends than he has. And then the only thing they do is drink bear and make puzzles. Yawn. 

I didn't mind the Little Mermaid parody. Indeed I quite liked it, but I felt like they did waste something that could be a little bit more dramatic if handled in a different place. When he first popped up I did some research on King Shark and I would think that there is a lot of drama that could be mined from his parental issues, but they didn't really explore anything that is very interesting.

On 5/30/2020 at 12:21 AM, Fez said:

Does anyone know if there's the potential for a season three? Or is this a limited run deal that'll be over when this season is? Since seasons one and two were seemingly made at the same time, it certainly seems like there's a chance of that. But I'm really hoping for more.

I don't have any specific intell on that, but given the fact that 

Spoiler

This season will most likely end up with Ivy and Harley starting their relationship officially, I'd think that there is a unique opportunity to show the two of them as a couple in a third season. I hope that is what's going to happen.

On 5/30/2020 at 12:21 AM, Fez said:

And I'm caught up now. I didn't realize DC released episodes weekly though instead of the Netflix all-at-once model, so I guess I'll stay subscribed past my free trial until the season's over. Maybe check out Doom Patrol in the mean time?

I've really liked this show so far. I thought the final couple episodes of season 1 were a little shakey; seemed to be playing it a little too straight as a regular comics story. But I've really liked season 2 so far. The anarchic chaos of most of season one is still kinda missing, but the writing has been so sharp that I've been mostly content. I was even okay sitting through an episode that was all about Batman and that Harley Quinn wasn't even in; though only really because Bane was so heavily featured. It's a toss-up between him and King Shark for my favorite character. 

Bane makes everything better. I really want to know 

Spoiler

whether he survived his fall into the pit. He would surely be missed if he didn't. 

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I wasn't a big fan of the B-plot this week however

Hide contents

The only really interesting thing about it was really to reinforce the point again that Kiteman is such a boring non-presence. All the people on his stag party he knows through Ivy, which is kind of weird since Ivy is supposedly a recluse and she even manages to have more friends than he has. And then the only thing they do is drink bear and make puzzles. Yawn. 

I didn't mind the Little Mermaid parody. Indeed I quite liked it, but I felt like they did waste something that could be a little bit more dramatic if handled in a different place. When he first popped up I did some research on King Shark and I would think that there is a lot of drama that could be mined from his parental issues, but they didn't really explore anything that is very interesting.

I don't have any specific intell on that, but given the fact that 

Hide contents

This season will most likely end up with Ivy and Harley starting their relationship officially, I'd think that there is a unique opportunity to show the two of them as a couple in a third season. I hope that is what's going to happen.

Bane makes everything better. I really want to know 

Hide contents

whether he survived his fall into the pit. He would surely be missed if he didn't. 

Kiteman

Spoiler

I think that at some point in the writing process, Kiteman's characterization got changed. Early in Season 1 it seemed like he was an oblivious doofus with unwarranted self-confidence (like getting goons effortlessly at the bar with no plan, getting naked immediately at Ivy's place, etc.), but now he's more a low-self esteem nice guy with overbearing parents. The early Season 1 Kiteman would've had other friends. In fact, he did. There was definitely a scene where he was talking with some guy about kites and Ivy busted in and needed him for something.

As for a Season 3, I've since seen a tweet from the lead writer saying that they weren't renewed yet for a season 3, but it sure sounded like he hoped they would be. So they've got plans at least if they get picked up.

Bane

Spoiler

I think he lived. He's been a larger, longer running presence on the show then all the other major villains that keep getting defeated this season, so I think he's more tied into the show's DNA. Also, the writers have to know how hilarious he is. Even if they were originally thinking he was dead, since they didn't show it, they could just bring him back if there is a season 3.

8 hours ago, Fez said:

Kiteman

Hide contents

I think that at some point in the writing process, Kiteman's characterization got changed. Early in Season 1 it seemed like he was an oblivious doofus with unwarranted self-confidence (like getting goons effortlessly at the bar with no plan, getting naked immediately at Ivy's place, etc.), but now he's more a low-self esteem nice guy with overbearing parents. The early Season 1 Kiteman would've had other friends. In fact, he did. There was definitely a scene where he was talking with some guy about kites and Ivy busted in and needed him for something.

As for a Season 3, I've since seen a tweet from the lead writer saying that they weren't renewed yet for a season 3, but it sure sounded like he hoped they would be. So they've got plans at least if they get picked up.

Bane

Hide contents

I think he lived. He's been a larger, longer running presence on the show then all the other major villains that keep getting defeated this season, so I think he's more tied into the show's DNA. Also, the writers have to know how hilarious he is. Even if they were originally thinking he was dead, since they didn't show it, they could just bring him back if there is a season 3.

Hmm, I think Kiteman was always meant to be like he is now though

Spoiler

He's been massively insecure since the beginning imo and the guy you saw him with earlier was his room mate (who wasn't particularly impressed with our favorite Kite related villain). I think the character is quite consistent, which makes sense as the two seasons have been written so close together.

As to Bane, I hope you are right!

Bane was born in the pit it makes complete sense he will rise from the pit again. 

Part of me wants him to join Harley's gang but I'm concerned that might be too much of a good thing.

I'm also hoping the show does a "suicide squad" episode where the gang are forced into heroics. It might be a good chance to test bane as a team member

Spoiler

Am I the only one who thought Ivy's explanation why she couldn't trust Harley with her heart didn't really make sense? "You run from one thing to another"...Yes, Harley is unstable and always coming up with crazy ideas, but it's not like she's someone who easily falls for people and loses interest and goes from one romance to another. Quite the opposite. She was with the Joker for ages and took a lot of time to emotionally extricate herself from him, even after she broke up with him. 

Maybe that's the real reason Ivy is apprehensive - she remembers how much it took Harley to cut things off with Joker after she had been trying to make her see the truth about him, and that Harley almost went back to him later and forgpt about her friends, including Ivy, for a moment. Maybe she's not convinced this is really over for Harley.

Man, I hope they don't kill off Dr. Psycho like they killed Scarecrow, Penguin and Mr. Freeze. That might be my ONLY complaint about this show. 

2 hours ago, Trebla said:

Man, I hope they don't kill off Dr. Psycho like they killed Scarecrow, Penguin and Mr. Freeze. That might be my ONLY complaint about this show. 

I bet they don't. Or if they do that he comes back somehow. Tony Hale is one of the main credited voices on the show, and Dr. Psycho is his only character I'm pretty sure. Same reason why I think Sy Borgman is coming back; that's Jason Alexander, and its his only voice on the show. Plus they're both hilarious.

Unless there's no renewal and the next three episodes are all that's left. 

10 hours ago, Fez said:

I bet they don't. Or if they do that he comes back somehow. Tony Hale is one of the main credited voices on the show, and Dr. Psycho is his only character I'm pretty sure. Same reason why I think Sy Borgman is coming back; that's Jason Alexander, and its his only voice on the show. Plus they're both hilarious.

Shit, I forgot they killed him off, too!

From everything I've seen, the showrunners want to do more seasons but DC has yet to renew them. Given the critical praise and the popularity of the show, what are they waiting on? I wonder if the show has been more R rated than they bargained for?

2 hours ago, Trebla said:

Shit, I forgot they killed him off, too!

From everything I've seen, the showrunners want to do more seasons but DC has yet to renew them. Given the critical praise and the popularity of the show, what are they waiting on? I wonder if the show has been more R rated than they bargained for?

It's a less hard R than something like Birds of Prey I think, so I doubt it's that. I wonder if the show, or any show on DC Universe, is really that popular? Maybe its just me coming as mostly an outsider, but it seems pretty obscure as far as subscription services go. Could be they're still crunching the numbers.

Or they're just taking the old school approach of waiting until a season is over before announcing any renewal. That used to be the common way of doing things; pushing to get renewed before the season was up was one of the things that led Angel to be cancelled.

Man, I wish I had discovered this show like three weeks later. This cliffhanger is killing me. What did you all think? I thought it was a great episode and a lot funnier than last week's episode combined with a lot of character growth and plot progression. Very happy that they are finally addressing the

Spoiler

whole justice league in the book thing

On 6/6/2020 at 5:03 AM, Fez said:

I think 

Spoiler

the fact that Harley has his eye is probably something that might lead to a resurrection somehow.

On 6/6/2020 at 6:45 PM, Fez said:

It's a less hard R than something like Birds of Prey

Is it? I feel like this show is far more adult than BoP (which funnily enough I find to be a bigger piece of shit every episode of this show I get to see. What a wonderful IP they have and they don't do anything great with it in live-action)

On 6/6/2020 at 6:45 PM, Fez said:

It's a less hard R than something like Birds of Prey I think, so I doubt it's that. I wonder if the show, or any show on DC Universe, is really that popular? Maybe its just me coming as mostly an outsider, but it seems pretty obscure as far as subscription services go. Could be they're still crunching the numbers.

Or they're just taking the old school approach of waiting until a season is over before announcing any renewal. That used to be the common way of doing things; pushing to get renewed before the season was up was one of the things that led Angel to be cancelled.

If it wasn't for this board, I would never have known that DC Universe was a thing. Let's hope they renew it though. As it stands this show is too good to cancel and I feel like there is still significant mileage to get out of these characters.

Spoiler

It was weird how good it was to see Harley's gang getting back together again. They really work great together.No other way to say it, but there is chemistry there.

I loved the scene with Batman and Alfred where Batman says "I could" - it's another great example of using the character for comedy purposes and I do like how they portray Batman as a spoiled rich kid while leaning into the "because I'm Batman" meta excuse for him always winning.

I'd also say this show was more of an R-rated property than the Birds of Prey film but I guess animation often gets away with things because it isn't perceived as being as "real" as live-action. In BOP's defence it only had 2 hours of screen-time and what appeared to be a mandated Harley takes up 95% of the screentime. This cartoon has more time (and an inclination) to develop the supporting cast. 

8 hours ago, red snow said:

I'd also say this show was more of an R-rated property than the Birds of Prey film but I guess animation often gets away with things because it isn't perceived as being as "real" as live-action. In BOP's defence it only had 2 hours of screen-time and what appeared to be a mandated Harley takes up 95% of the screentime. This cartoon has more time (and an inclination) to develop the supporting cast. 

The last thing I'd say after the BoP film is that I wanted to see more of those awful side characters in the film. Margot Robbie & the villains were the only ones that made it watchable! 

But yeah, the time definitely helps the series. I also think they have far greater creative autonomy and/or vastly more capable writers.

On 6/9/2020 at 12:14 AM, Veltigar said:

The last thing I'd say after the BoP film is that I wanted to see more of those awful side characters in the film. Margot Robbie & the villains were the only ones that made it watchable! 

But yeah, the time definitely helps the series. I also think they have far greater creative autonomy and/or vastly more capable writers.

It's always hard to tell what a producer credit means but both Robbie and cuoco have them and whether their input changes the project at all or if it's just more money.

I guess in animation the star isn't as important, as the actor can't sell the project - the character has to. Which probably determines why the tv show is better.

This isn't a slight on robbie herself, i just think Hollywood knows she was the key part of suicide squad and has enough star power to get people interested in a film simply because she's in it. It's a general problem with films though where they put too much focus on the star at the expense of the film eg johnny depp for the last 15 years.

That was a good episode.

Spoiler

I was a little nervous about bringing the Joker back at the end of the last episode; it felt like he dominated season one a little too much. But doing it like this was great. I love the idea of the Joker as a serial killer suburban dad who loves his family. 

11 hours ago, Fez said:

Best part of episode 12?

Reveal hidden contents

Proof of life for Bane!

Really, when there's so much to choose from?!

Harley's squad going toe to toe with the justice league, the most embarrassing moment, justice league getting hit by Ivy's poison, "true love's kiss" actually working?

Whew! A good episode!

Archived