Harley Quinn [Animated series]

Veltigar

17 hours ago, Underfoot said:

Really, when there's so much to choose from?!

Reveal hidden contents

Harley's squad going toe to toe with the justice league, the most embarrassing moment, justice league getting hit by Ivy's poison, "true love's kiss" actually working?

Whew! A good episode!

I'm mean, yeah, there was a lot of good stuff but

Spoiler

Bane is best boi.

This was a brilliant episode. If you had told me I was going to have so much fun watching an animated sitcom about Harley Quinn, I would have told you you were mad, but it really is the best thing I have seen on television in quite a while. Perhaps my favorite show since Black Sails

This week really had everything. Great action, cutting humor, strong characters who all have engrossing relationships with each other combined together into a fast-paced story line all duped in that specifically irreverent sauce that is the major defining trait of this show.

Spoiler

The best example being the whole "True love's kiss" thing. It did end up saving the day, but not because of magical qualities, but because Ivy and Harley kissing was so hot misogynistic Dr. Psycho couldn't help but be distracted by his boner.  Just utterly brilliant. 

It's hard to even begin unpacking what I liked best.

Spoiler

The way they handled the Justice League was bold. No dire Snyderisms, no bullshit optimism. The Justice League were just as much a target for mockery as the others. Supes and Wonder Woman in particular were given a lovely send up. First with the alien racism joke and then later with the Insta posing and the love serum.

I'm also a big fan of how they handled the reveal to Kiteman. Would not have expected anything like this to happen, but it's such a great way to break the news in the context of this show. Especially the way different characters handled it was nice to see. Aside from Bane, I really liked King Shark's "Oh, this is going to affect the group dynamic in a messy and complicated manner." i hope that's a statement of intent of the writers, because I want to see this in the future.

Sy Borgman being alive and then "reincarnating" as a Kitchen Aid was hilarious. I do think as a non-American I missed some humor there, because Harley was clearly shitting on Kiteman's college. 

King Shark and Clayface were marvelously intimidating. I also like how Harley called Clayface out for all of a sudden being so threatening, which is something he hadn't been before. I'm normally not a big fan of those having-the-cake-and-eating-it type of deals, but here it was tastefully done.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm mean, yeah, there was a lot of good stuff but

Reveal hidden contents

Bane is best boi.

1000% in agreement with you

Spoiler

It's great to see that Bane is still alive and well in the PIIIIITTTT. I do have to admit that I found King Shark's line better in the reactions, but the mere proof of life is already an episode winner for me.

The only minor quibble I have with the ending is that

Spoiler

Bane didn't get any lines ;) But I was already very happy to see him get an invite :D  

Anyways, I'm grateful that this show has been able to stick the landing. I kind of want to talk openly about it, but I'll refrain and put everything in spoiler tags. Let me just say that I wish that all pieces of entertainment were as entertainingly written as this series. Both the jokes, characters and plot of this episode were exemplary, just as they have been throughout the series.

I hear a lot of buzz about it moving to HBO Max and I really hope that is going to be the case. This show deserves to be widely seen and upheld as an example of what a capable writing room can come up with regardless of the subject. Naturally, I would also love to get more episodes, but only if they are able to maintain the high quality which has become the hallmark of this show. If not, than the ending to this episode could definitely serve as a series conclusion.

Spoiler

This episode as a whole was just a beautiful crescendo of emotion and character arcs. Seeing Ivy and Harley drive off into the sunset was genuinely moving. It's just so satisfying to see human emotions done so well on screen. The animation was also particularly idyllic. The artists just did a stunning job throughout.

I like how they resolved things with Kite Man as well. I have been greatly surprised over the past couple of weeks how popular that character is with a certain subset of fans. If they had chosen any other way to resolve the issue, those people would never have shut up. Instead, allowing Kiteman one last time to revel in his status as a Basic Bitch/Pinterest in 2014 status was glorious. It gave the character some more agency and for once he wasn't suffocatingly dull. 

Also really liked the clever little touches throughout. The wedding being full of plastic flowers for instance or Tim Burton showing up or just Bane in his high hat. Cna't stress enough how well it all works together. Please give us more stuff of comparative quality! 

12 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Hide contents

Bane didn't get any lines ;) But I was already very happy to see him get an invite :D  

Anyways, I'm grateful that this show has been able to stick the landing. I kind of want to talk openly about it, but I'll refrain and put everything in spoiler tags. Let me just say that I wish that all pieces of entertainment were as entertainingly written as this series. Both the jokes, characters and plot of this episode were exemplary, just as they have been throughout the series.

I hear a lot of buzz about it moving to HBO Max and I really hope that is going to be the case. This show deserves to be widely seen and upheld as an example of what a capable writing room can come up with regardless of the subject. Naturally, I would also love to get more episodes, but only if they are able to maintain the high quality which has become the hallmark of this show. If not, than the ending to this episode could definitely serve as a series conclusion.

Hide contents

This episode as a whole was just a beautiful crescendo of emotion and character arcs. Seeing Ivy and Harley drive off into the sunset was genuinely moving. It's just so satisfying to see human emotions done so well on screen. The animation was also particularly idyllic. The artists just did a stunning job throughout.

I like how they resolved things with Kite Man as well. I have been greatly surprised over the past couple of weeks how popular that character is with a certain subset of fans. If they had chosen any other way to resolve the issue, those people would never have shut up. Instead, allowing Kiteman one last time to revel in his status as a Basic Bitch/Pinterest in 2014 status was glorious. It gave the character some more agency and for once he wasn't suffocatingly dull. 

Also really liked the clever little touches throughout. The wedding being full of plastic flowers for instance or Tim Burton showing up or just Bane in his high hat. Cna't stress enough how well it all works together. Please give us more stuff of comparative quality! 

Spoiler

But was that really Tim Burton? Catwoman called him "Gary" when the were leaving. I thought that was the joke, that he was just some random guy who looks like Tim Burton.

21 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:
  Hide contents

But was that really Tim Burton? Catwoman called him "Gary" when the were leaving. I thought that was the joke, that he was just some random guy who looks like Tim Burton.

Oh, damn, well spotted! XD I checked and you do seem to be on to something. Flew right past me :) 

13 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Definitely could've been improved by more Bane. But the episode was already so packed, it would've been hard to fit anything else in. I'm a little surprised they didn't go long with the episode actually; having extra-length season finales seems like a generally accepted TV practice now.

I think the move to HBO Max is confirmed, and I'm hoping that's a prelude to a renewal announcement. Maybe at whatever virtual event is replacing Comic-Con this year.

8 hours ago, Fez said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Definitely could've been improved by more Bane. But the episode was already so packed, it would've been hard to fit anything else in. I'm a little surprised they didn't go long with the episode actually; having extra-length season finales seems like a generally accepted TV practice now.

I think the move to HBO Max is confirmed, and I'm hoping that's a prelude to a renewal announcement. Maybe at whatever virtual event is replacing Comic-Con this year.

It's still not entirely sure apparently, since the source has yet to be officially confirmed. I hope you are right though and it would be great if there is to be a renewal. As long as the same creative team returns and get the time they need to do this story justice :) 

And yes, a plus-sized final episode would have been nice, but there was probably no budget for it. I mean, who could have foreseen that this was going to be such a stellar show?

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

:commie:FUCK YEAH! TASTE REIGNS SUPREME :D Thanks for the awesome news.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Awesome! This is such a good show.

:cheers: We need to get more eyeballs on it!

Archived