Stephen King's The Stand Miniseries

Martell Spy

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I don't recall any details of that thing ... but I do remember that they got the chronology of the plot straight. 

Lol. Well done on contradicting yourself again, this time within the same sentence.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RumHam said:

This show has gone from meh to must watch dumpster fire. I have to read the book after just to understand how we got here. 

You don't know the book? Then, I guess, the story can get to you ;-).

You don't know the book? Then, I guess, the story can get to you ;-).

It seems like they assume the audience does know the book. Several times they've introduced characters only to kill them off before I had a firm grasp of who they were. 

The only King I've read is The Shining and it's sequel. Oh and the short story about portals I forget the name. "It's longer than you think, dad!" 

15 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It seems like they assume the audience does know the book. Several times they've introduced characters only to kill them off before I had a firm grasp of who they were. 

Yes, I thought it must be very confusing and weird for people who don't know the story with those stupid flashbacks. And I guess the people making that do indeed assume everybody knows the story, anyway. Which is odd and kinda insulting if you think about it.

As I wrote out above the book follows a strict linear story - pandemic first, weirdo good vs. evil stuff later. And the entire atmosphere of that is lost by the way how they tell it. The pandemic scenes are arguably the best parts of the book, and with those flashback stuff they completely pulled the plug on those. You just get bits and pieces of them ... and there is no real suspense because you already know that the characters who are going to make it.

But they are surprisingly faithful to the source material. There are a lot of surface level changes, of course, but the basic plot so far is straight from the book.

And as per episode 5 they still have to introduce a pretty crucial character if they are going to go with the same ending.

Have to ask you - do you find Randall Flagg (the dark man) scary? And if so, on what level?

15 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The only King I've read is The Shining and it's sequel. Oh and the short story about portals I forget the name. "It's longer than you think, dad!" 

If you want to try some of the old stuff, go with 'IT'. It is better than 'The Stand', all things considered. And 'Jerusalem's Lot' is a pretty good late 70s provincial vampire novel.

The newer stuff is kind of interesting in the sense that the aging King can now really write old people very well - you can see that in Bill Hodges books (the Mr. Mercedes stuff).

14 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

If you want to try some of the old stuff, go with 'IT'.

The IT tv movie seriously scared me when I was a kid. I loved Summer of Night though, which is basically a love letter to and/or rip off of IT.

17 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Maybe they're doing an origin story for the Marsten House, the big creepy manor that Kurt Barlow moved into. 

Just seems a bit tenuous, why not just write an original story in that case? It's probably 20 years since I've read it, was the old house relevant other than some incident when the main character was young (was there a reason head vampire bought it in particular)?

I should re read, I do remember it being one of the few King books to not suffer from 'shit ending' syndrome.  

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just seems a bit tenuous, why not just write an original story in that case? It's probably 20 years since I've read it, was the old house relevant other than some incident when the main character was young (was there a reason head vampire bought it in particular)?

I should re read, I do remember it being one of the few King books to not suffer from 'shit ending' syndrome.  

It's been a while since I read it as well, but I remember the house looming large throughout the story. It was almost a character in itself. 

And yes, for King, quite a satisfying ending. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

It's been a while since I read it as well, but I remember the house looming large throughout the story. It was almost a character in itself. 

And yes, for King, quite a satisfying ending. 

This appears to be a loose adaptation of his short story Jerusalem’s Lot from Night Shift and not the novel Salem’s Lot  

55 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

This appears to be a loose adaptation of his short story Jerusalem’s Lot from Night Shift and not the novel Salem’s Lot  

Yes.  I googled it because @Lord Varys mentioned Jerusalem's Lot.   Seems like he meant Salem's Lot though, but here we are.

10 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Yes.  I googled it because @Lord Varys mentioned Jerusalem's Lot.   Seems like he meant Salem's Lot though, but here we are.

Yes, that was my mistake. The town actually is named Jerusalem's Lot, so it is easy to make that mistake.

But a show based on the short story of that name is indeed very weird. It doesn't have to do anything with the Marsten house unless I'm misremembering. It's kind of a Lovecraft-like King epistolary short story.

14 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Have to ask you - do you find Randall Flagg (the dark man) scary? And if so, on what level?

I missed this last night, but no I do not find him scary. His brother was a lot creepier in IT and Castle Rock. 

Another thing I meant to bring up, sending Brad William Henke's developmentally disabled character to be one of the three spies was such an odd decision. Wouldn't he crack under any interrogation? Or just innocently say "M O O N that spells I'm a spy."

19 hours ago, RumHam said:

I missed this last night, but no I do not find him scary. His brother was a lot creepier in IT and Castle Rock. 

Yeah, I thought as much. The thing is, the guy is supposed to be scary as hell, and is in the books. Whereas in the show he is just some weird dude with strange abilities.

19 hours ago, RumHam said:

Another thing I meant to bring up, sending Brad William Henke's developmentally disabled character to be one of the three spies was such an odd decision. Wouldn't he crack under any interrogation? Or just innocently say "M O O N that spells I'm a spy."

In the book they give him a post-hypnotic suggestion. I guess the show guys found that idea too cheasy.

The idea there is that 'the Dark Lord' will fail to see Tom Cullen, sort of the way Sauron failed to see Frodo and Sam. And that was already sort of implied in the show by the fact that Flagg does know there are three spies but can only see two.

There is also a lot of 'evil red eye' stuff going on there - characters feeling watched by Flagg in their dreams and stuff.

The idea there is that 'the Dark Lord' will fail to see Tom Cullen, sort of the way Sauron failed to see Frodo and Sam. And that was already sort of implied in the show by the fact that Flagg does know there are three spies but can only see two.

There is also a lot of 'evil red eye' stuff going on there - characters feeling watched by Flagg in their dreams and stuff.

Is this ever expressed in the show though? Like do the characters on the show who decided to send him have any reason to think his mental state will offer him some psychic protection? Because I don't remember any of that. 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Is this ever expressed in the show though? Like do the characters on the show who decided to send him have any reason to think his mental state will offer him some psychic protection? Because I don't remember any of that. 

No, that was completely dropped, unless I'm mistaken. They just think it is a good idea for some reason.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:15 PM, Lord Varys said:

Yeah, I thought as much. The thing is, the guy is supposed to be scary as hell, and is in the books. Whereas in the show he is just some weird dude with strange abilities.

I haven't watched the show but I presume (with King's input) that they are modelling this Flagg on the Flagg from his later works and so while has all these tricks, he is always basically a sort of Wizard of Oz.

Speaking of Flagg, they really shit the bed with the casting of Alexander Skarsgård. I am just not feeling it. And the fact they've given him Robbie Savage's hair really isn't helping. At all. 

And wtf is this Trashman actor trying to achieve. Dreadful. 

Archived