Stephen King's The Stand Miniseries

Martell Spy

Matthew McConnaughey was a great Flagg (or rather 'Walter') in 'The Dark Tower' in 2017. That guy was pretty scary. This new Flagg just sucks.

And, of course, the guy has also weaknesses, but in those early scenes where he interacts with his future goons or shows up in dreams of the good guys he should have been as scary as he appeared in the book.

And there are great ways to make a guy look scary, even if he is dressed somewhat silly.

23 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Matthew McConnaughey was a great Flagg (or rather 'Walter') in 'The Dark Tower' in 2017. That guy was pretty scary. This new Flagg just sucks.

And, of course, the guy has also weaknesses, but in those early scenes where he interacts with his future goons or shows up in dreams of the good guys he should have been as scary as he appeared in the book.

And there are great ways to make a guy look scary, even if he is dressed somewhat silly.

That movie was terrible and even mcConnaughey was bad in it. I think Skarsgaard is doing fine 

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

That movie was terrible and even mcConnaughey was bad in it. I think Skarsgaard is doing fine 

I didn't say the movie was great, just that the way Flagg was played was much more scarier than whatever have seen in The Stand so far. The guy is just a joke there. But if you are afraid of him, who am I to take your fear away from you.

8 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I didn't say the movie was great, just that the way Flagg was played was much more scarier than whatever have seen in The Stand so far. The guy is just a joke there. But if you are afraid of him, who am I to take your fear away from you.

As Flagg he’s not supposed to be initially scary like he always is supposed to be as the man in black. Randall Flagg is meant to be tempting initially. In the books he’s friendly and funny a lot of the time

12 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

As Flagg he’s not supposed to be initially scary like he always is supposed to be as the man in black. Randall Flagg is meant to be tempting initially. In the books he’s friendly and funny a lot of the time

Lloyd is supposed to be very scared of him when he gets him out of cell. And while he would be charismatic and nice on the surface when he tries to tempt people, people are always supposed to be terrified by him even if they try to ignore it on a conscious level.

And we get that in the show with Lloyd being unable to perform when Flagg is mentioned and some of the other symbolism around him. But the actor and the way the character is written just doesn't support that aura.

I mean, that's it with most of King's supernatural villains, even tempting Leland Gaunt is supposed to disgust and scare people beneath the surface.

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Lloyd is supposed to be very scared of him when he gets him out of cell. And while he would be charismatic and nice on the surface when he tries to tempt people, people are always supposed to be terrified by him even if they try to ignore it on a conscious level.

And we get that in the show with Lloyd being unable to perform when Flagg is mentioned and some of the other symbolism around him. But the actor and the way the character is written just doesn't support that aura.

I mean, that's it with most of King's supernatural villains, even tempting Leland Gaunt is supposed to disgust and scare people beneath the surface.

Well Gaunt is the same dude in the Kingverse and while what Gaunt is offering is supposed to be tempting, he himself isn’t the temptation. Flagg is supposed to be himself tempting and inviting until it’s too late or he is rejected. In this story he is part of a Christian allegory that parallels the garden of Eden. In this he’s Lucifer and he’s just offering knowledge and freedom. Lloyd is afraid of him because he displays supernatural power and because he has been traumatized by his recent experiences. In many guises, this character comes off as a likable guy. As Marten Broadcloak, as Leland Gaunt, as John Farson, often as the Man in Black, he’s mostly not as Walter but that’s about it.

1 minute ago, SpaceChampion said:

This seems to have reached a climax but there's a whole episode remaining....     I don't have any idea what's left in the story to tell.  Denouements shouldn't take a whole episode when the series is only 9 long.

I remember reading about that it's some kinda coda to the series called "Frannie in the Well" written by King. 

On 1/28/2021 at 6:08 AM, Fury Resurrected said:

Well Gaunt is the same dude in the Kingverse and while what Gaunt is offering is supposed to be tempting, he himself isn’t the temptation. Flagg is supposed to be himself tempting and inviting until it’s too late or he is rejected. In this story he is part of a Christian allegory that parallels the garden of Eden. In this he’s Lucifer and he’s just offering knowledge and freedom. Lloyd is afraid of him because he displays supernatural power and because he has been traumatized by his recent experiences. In many guises, this character comes off as a likable guy. As Marten Broadcloak, as Leland Gaunt, as John Farson, often as the Man in Black, he’s mostly not as Walter but that’s about it.

Actually, Flagg is neither Leland Gaunt (that's just some demon) nor is he John Farson (that's also a different insane guy working for the Crimson King). Marten Broadcloak is an alter ego of Flagg/Walter, though.

But to come back to it - Randall Flagg is supposed to a scary villain in 'The Stand'. He also tries to seduce people, but he is always scary ... and not unimpressive the way he was portrayed in the show.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I remember reading about that it's some kinda coda to the series called "Frannie in the Well" written by King. 

Yes, that's going to be the last episode airing next week.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Actually, Flagg is neither Leland Gaunt (that's just some demon) nor is he John Farson (that's also a different insane guy working for the Crimson King). Marten Broadcloak is an alter ego of Flagg/Walter, though.

But to come back to it - Randall Flagg is supposed to a scary villain in 'The Stand'. He also tries to seduce people, but he is always scary ... and not unimpressive the way he was portrayed in the show.

Yes, that's going to be the last episode airing next week.

They’re all the same dude. Roland discovers that Farson is the same guy as Marten and Walter either in one of the last three or the comics, I can’t recall which. Marten and Walter were t supposed to be the same guy in the first version of the Gunslinger either, but he decided later to make them different guises as he connected his universes. It’s never been confirmed either way but it is HEAVILY implied and never refuted by King that he is also Gaunt.

Archived