Which factions/sides do you support?

Alyn Oakenfist

On 5/20/2020 at 8:40 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So I was curious what are the various sides people on this forum support in the history of Westeros. I'll put the results on the right of each one as they get updated, also now that more people voted I''m gonna put my own opinions here too:

1. The Conquest: Aegon or the Kings? 12 - 10
  2. The Dornish War: The Iron Throne or Dorne? 6 - 16
  3. Maegor or Aenys? 3 - 15
  4. The Faith militant uprising: Targs or the Faith? 16 - 6
  5. The Council of 101: Rhaenys, Laenor or Viserys? 17 - 2 - 2
  6. The Dance: Greens or Blacks? 5 - 16
  7. The Second Dornish War: Daeron or the Martells? 7 - 12
  8. The Blackfyre Rebellion: Blackfyre or Targaryen? 3 - 18
  9. Roberts Rebellion: Loyalists or rebels? 7 - 16
  10. War of the Five Kings: Stannis, Robb, Balon, Joffrey or Renly? 6 - 10 - 0 - 1 - 3
  11. Mance's attack: Wildlings or NW? 8 - 13
  12. War in the North, Stannis or Roose? 18 - 3
  13. Slaver's Bay campaign: Dany or the Slavers? 20 - 1 (okay this is kinda pointless, but still LE we found one!!!)
  14. Kingsmoot: Asha, Victarion, Euron or Farwynd? 16 - 3 - 2 - 2
  15. The final kings: Stannis, Aegon, Jon, Dany, Tommen or Euron? 3 - 4 - 2 - 9 - 1 - 0

1. I'm  neutral on this.  Aegon, Visenya, and Rhaenys were one faction, vying for power against other factions, all of whom sought to expand their territory.  

2. On balance Dorne, although some of the Dornish were despicable.  The Yellow Toad was perfectly happy to join in on the side of Aegon and his sisters to gain territory.

3. Maegor.  Aeny was a disaster.

4.  Targs.  The Faith Militant had to be eradicated.

5. Rhaenys.  She was the daughter of the crown prince.

6. Blacks. Rhaenyra was the legitimate heir.

7.  The Martells, but murdering a man under a peace banner is despicable.

8.  Targaryen.

9.  A tough one.  Once, I would have said obviously the rebels.  But, with the exception of the Ned, and perhaps Jon Arryn, I don't think they were much better than Aerys.  Robert was perfectly happy to see his ally sack a city and to murder children, in order to secure his kingship.  Fighting to kill Aerys and Rhaegar was legitimate, fighting to wipe out the royal family was not.  I think I'm neutral  on this.  If Robert had actually punished war crimes, then I would have supported the rebels.

10.  Overall, Stannis.  He has the best claim, and is the most competent. 

11. Wildlings.  They know who the true enemy is.  The NW had lost their way, and objectively, had become allied to the Others.

12.  The Mannis.

13.  Dany.  Currently Slavers Bay is in chaos, but before Dany's arrival it was Mordor for five sixths of the population. The slave trade fuels wars and piracy across Essos and has to be destroyed.  Volantis is about to revolt, and it looks as if the slave traders will be curb-stomped outside Meereen, so while the ending won't be a purely happy one, it looks as if the situation will be an improvement on what went before.

It's not Daenerys' anti-slavery campaign that has caused the problems so much as the viciousness with which the slavers fought back, in order to re-enslave the majority.   Slavers Bay without slavery is in fact quite viable economically.  It has a Mediterranean climate, copper, iron, salt, and a shipping industry.  It's perfectly possible to generate wealth, by means other than slave-dealing, as Bristol and Liverpool discovered after 1807.

14. Asha.  The only Ironborn leader who is a half-decent human being.

15.  I find it impossible to reach a conclusion, other than it can't be Euron or Tommen.

3 hours ago, Eltharion21 said:

I really don't want to derail this thread with another Dance discussion, but i need to respond your claim.

To me black cause represent ruling through criminalization ignoring or bending laws and traditions to reach their ambition, through use of murder and torture. Neither side has moral high ground, especially in this Civil War. 

If we include additional layer that novel is written as quasi-historical book, where there is bias toward either side but mostly winning side, my belief is that Black side is probably worse than it is represented.

There are possibly complex characters on Green side considering with lack of in depth view of first person view, and we have our share of dubious character surprise us with excusable motive in Asoiaf (Jaime and Kingslaying, Mance and his cloak, Theon)

Not a fan of show but this quote I like, : 

Agree that we shouldn't derail the thread with what can very easily become another 10 page discussion on this, so I'll make this my last response on it. If you want to debate further, make a thread and I'll happily continue there.

So I can see your point and can half agree. The Black's I guess are guilty of bending tranditions to get their way but I wouldn't class that as criminalization. Not in an feudal monarchy where what the King says is the law. In addition, I know this has been discussed to death, but the Iron Throne has no set in stone succession laws. Viserys named Rhaenyra his heir apparent (not heir presumptive, which would mean she was heir until a son was born), meaning he clearly intended to have her remain as heir regardless of future children. The, admittedly weak, case could be made that he'd be breaking the widow's law in order to disinherit Rhaenyra for Aegon. Given that he made the Lords swear fealty to her as his heir, they clearly knew this and no-one made a noise of complaint aside from Otto (at the height of hypocrisy) until after Viserys death.

I'm also curious where you get murder and torture from? IIRC that's only Daemon and while he's an undeniable badass he's also an undeniable prick.

And yeah I'm sure there are complex characters on the Green side. Hell we know a few of them; Daeron, who seems a good kid who goes off the rails at one point in anger/grief, Larys Strong whose motives we know nothing about, Tyland Lannister. There's probably a few more but the most prominent Green's in the story all seem very one dimensional.

Good quote. I also like that one.

26 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Agree that we shouldn't derail the thread with what can very easily become another 10 page discussion on this, so I'll make this my last response on it. If you want to debate further, make a thread and I'll happily continue there.

So I can see your point and can half agree. The Black's I guess are guilty of bending tranditions to get their way but I wouldn't class that as criminalization. Not in an feudal monarchy where what the King says is the law. In addition, I know this has been discussed to death, but the Iron Throne has no set in stone succession laws. Viserys named Rhaenyra his heir apparent (not heir presumptive, which would mean she was heir until a son was born), meaning he clearly intended to have her remain as heir regardless of future children. The, admittedly weak, case could be made that he'd be breaking the widow's law in order to disinherit Rhaenyra for Aegon. Given that he made the Lords swear fealty to her as his heir, they clearly knew this and no-one made a noise of complaint aside from Otto (at the height of hypocrisy) until after Viserys death.

I'm also curious where you get murder and torture from? IIRC that's only Daemon and while he's an undeniable badass he's also an undeniable prick.

And yeah I'm sure there are complex characters on the Green side. Hell we know a few of them; Daeron, who seems a good kid who goes off the rails at one point in anger/grief, Larys Strong whose motives we know nothing about, Tyland Lannister. There's probably a few more but the most prominent Green's in the story all seem very one dimensional.

My main objection to the Greens is that they were the first party to resort to violence.  They concealed the news of Viserys' death, and murdered the Master of Coin, when he refused to support them.  They only called for a Great Council, once Rhaenyra had defeated them.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

6. Blacks. Rhaenyra was the legitimate heir.

9.  A tough one.  Once, I would have said obviously the rebels.  But, with the exception of the Ned, and perhaps Jon Arryn, I don't think they were much better than Aerys.  Robert was perfectly happy to see his ally sack a city and to murder children, in order to secure his kingship.  Fighting to kill Aerys and Rhaegar was legitimate, fighting to wipe out the royal family was not.  I think I'm neutral  on this.  If Robert had actually punished war crimes, then I would have supported the rebels.

Seems a little curious don't you think?? Jaeharys was killed under the Daemon's orders and Helaena was forced to watch and Rhaenrya condoned that, and did commit other war crimes herself, yet your pet peeve is that Tywin killed the Targlings and got a pass, that without saying that while Daemon and Rhaenrya were married and a team, Tywin acted entirely on his own nor was Robert happy... And yet you call him ally.:unsure: I don't want to derail this either but it does seem curious to me.

52 minutes ago, frenin said:

Seems a little curious don't you think?? Jaeharys was killed under the Daemon's orders and Helaena was forced to watch and Rhaenrya condoned that, and did commit other war crimes herself, yet your pet peeve is that Tywin killed the Targlings and got a pass, that without saying that while Daemon and Rhaenrya were married and a team, Tywin acted entirely on his own nor was Robert happy... And yet you call him ally.:unsure: I don't want to derail this either but it does seem curious to me.

Tywin did sack a city, too.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

Tywin did sack a city, too.

Which no one, and i mean no one. but the kingslanders are concerned about, hell Ned's beef with that is that is that the city was taken by treachery, not that it was sacked. Aerys and Elia and her kids are everyone's problem. 

3 hours ago, frenin said:

By all accounts, Rhaenyra knew nothing about the Blood and Cheese plot until it was done. All Daemon told her was that Luke would be avenged. And while I'm not condoning Daemon or his orders (or the actions of his agents) it was direct retaliation for Aemond's attack on Luke.

And of the top of my head I don't remember Rhaenyra committing any war crimes. In fact the Black's as a whole seem to avoid opportunities to do anything too bad besides the Blood and Cheese incident. In between Rook's Rest and the Gullet, the Black's had 8 battle worthy dragons and riders while the Green's had 1 that could meet them in battle, 1 who was hundreds of miles away and 1 whose rider was too depressed to fly. They could have just flown in force and burned King's Landing down and then done the same to Oldtown and Storm's End. War over albeit at high colateral cost.

Further, I think Robert was happy wasn't he? Aren't we told he smiled at their bodies?

2 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Further, I think Robert was happy wasn't he? Aren't we told he smiled at their bodies?

No, we're not told that, Barri wonders about it.

3 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

By all accounts, Rhaenyra knew nothing about the Blood and Cheese plot until it was done. All Daemon told her was that Luke would be avenged. And while I'm not condoning Daemon or his orders (or the actions of his agents) it was direct retaliation for Aemond's attack on Luke.

No, she knew that Luke would be avenged and knew that her own baby nephew was killed and... Did nothing, i just find it curious that's all.

Then Daemon should have aimed towards Aemond instead of a 6 year old.

1 hour ago, frenin said:

No, we're not told that, Barri wonders about it.

Ah, my mistake.

1 hour ago, frenin said:

No, she knew that Luke would be avenged and knew that her own baby nephew was killed and... Did nothing, i just find it curious that's all.

Then Daemon should have aimed towards Aemond instead of a 6 year old.

She knew Jaeherys was killed after the fact yes. But by that point what do you want her to do about it? Daemon is one of her most useful assests and the war is only just getting started, she can't afford to lose or alienate him at that point and nothing she did would make Jaeherys any less dead. The point was that she neither commanded it nor knew about it in advance.

And targeting Aemond isn't so easy. Daemon and Nettles spend months trying to hunt him and fail and it takes the offer of a one-on-one against a much smaller dragon to lure him out. Targeting Aegon's kids was much more convenient for him and had the 'son for a son' aspect to it as well.

6 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

I will just answer on questions you asked.

Murder and torture : Vaemond Velaryon, Tyland Lannister, Helaena Targaryen, nobles who got their tongues cut out before execution, Rhaenyra's byword was "question him sharply" ( Aemond, Tyland , Addam), rising up  Mysaria by Rhaenyra responsible in part for Blood & Cheese, Knight Inquisitors and bounty on head of children.

One excerpt characterizes rule of Queen of Black side.

Even executions became a source of coin. Henceforth, Celtigar decreed, traitors, rebels, and murderers would be beheaded within the Dragonpit, and their corpses fed to the queen’s dragons. All were welcome to bear witness to the fate that awaited evil men, but each must pay three pennies at the gates to be admitted.

Thus did Queen Rhaenyra replenish her coffers, at grievous cost. Neither Aegon nor his brother, Aemond, had ever been much loved by the people of the city, and many Kingslaabove the city gnders had welcomed the queen’s return…but love and hate are two faces of the same coin, as fresh heads began appearing daily upon the spikes ates, accompanied by ever more exacting taxes, the coin turned. The girl that they once cheered as the Realm’s Delight had grown into a grasping and vindictive woman, men said, a queen as cruel as any king before her.

Daemon I also consider a douche , but not so badass as dumbass , who mostly exploited unfair advantage and won over younger and less experienced opponents.

From the Black side I kinda like Rhaenys, Addam the Loyal Velaryon, Roderick Dustin, Jacaerys Velaryon, and Seasnake I feel is wiser than Cregan though still a snake, who escaped his rightful punishment at the end.

2 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

She knew Jaeherys was killed after the fact yes. But by that point what do you want her to do about it? Daemon is one of her most useful assests and the war is only just getting started, she can't afford to lose or alienate him at that point and nothing she did would make Jaeherys any less dead. The point was that she neither commanded it nor knew about it in advance.

Oh i know about that and i consider the points pretty, the point is that there was an outcry for Robert not doing the same. I do believe that they both put politics over anything else but i find curious why people would give shit to one but no the other.

2 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

And targeting Aemond isn't so easy. Daemon and Nettles spend months trying to hunt him and fail and it takes the offer of a one-on-one against a much smaller dragon to lure him out. Targeting Aegon's kids was much more convenient for him and had the 'son for a son' aspect to it as well.

Aemond was in Kings' Landing as well then, this was before the war started.

4 minutes ago, frenin said:

Oh i know about that and i consider the points pretty, the point is that there was an outcry for Robert not doing the same. I do believe that they both put politics over anything else but i find curious why people would give shit to one but no the other.

Personally, in both incidents I give the culprits and the masterminds equal blame; Tywin, Daemon, Blood, Cheese, Gregor and Lorch. I don't blame Robert or Rhaenyra. I suppose other people might argue that Robert could have took some action (even if it was just chastisement) against Tywin seeing as the war was essentially over as opposed to just starting, like the Dance.

And while Aemond was in King's Landing, he's still nowhere near as easy a target.

6 minutes ago, frenin said:

I think it was less were he is but who he is. Aemond was an incredible swordsman. Blood and Chesse can deal with 2 women and 3 children but an incredible warrior like him is something else entirely.

On 5/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So I was curious what are the various sides people on this forum support in the history of Westeros. I'll put the results on the right of each one as they get updated, also now that more people voted I''m gonna put my own opinions here too:

2. The Dornish War: The Iron Throne or Dorne? 6 - 17
  3. Maegor or Aenys? 4 - 15
  4. The Faith militant uprising: Targs or the Faith? 17 - 6
  5. The Council of 101: Rhaenys, Laenor or Viserys? 19 - 2 - 2
  6. The Dance: Greens or Blacks? 5 - 17
  7. The Second Dornish War: Daeron or the Martells? 7 - 13
  8. The Blackfyre Rebellion: Blackfyre or Targaryen? 3 - 19
  10. War of the Five Kings: Stannis, Robb, Balon, Joffrey or Renly? 7 - 10 - 0 - 1 - 3
  11. Mance's attack: Wildlings or NW? 9 - 13
  12. War in the North, Stannis or Roose? 19 - 3
  13. Slaver's Bay campaign: Dany or the Slavers? 21 - 1 (okay this is kinda pointless, but still LE we found one!!!)
  14. Kingsmoot: Asha, Victarion, Euron or Farwynd? 17 - 3 - 2 - 2
  15. The final kings: Stannis, Aegon, Jon, Dany, Tommen or Euron? 3 - 4 - 2 - 9 - 1 - 0

1.  Aegon saw how the people are suffering and did something about it.  He doesn't have the right to the kingdoms but the question is, did he have an obligation to the people to make things better.  

2.  The Iron Throne.  I admire the Dornish but the kingdom needed to be whole to have a kingdom.  

3.  Maegor was the man they needed.  Aenys has the right but not the personality to deal with the threat.  I side with Meagor.

4.  The Targaryens.  The incestuous marriages were necessary to maintain the dragon bond.  

5.  I don't have an opinion.  Either Rhaenys or Viserys would do for me.  

6.  Blacks, because Rhaenyra was chosen by her father to follow.

7.  Daeron

8.  Targaryen

9.  Targaryen Loyalists.  Hindsight tell us what happened under Robert and Jon.  They destroyed the system and could not put it back together.  Like humpty dumpty.  Aerys was no longer capable but some other means to remove him from the throne was needed.  The rebellion killed X 1000 times more people.

10. Stannis

11 NW

12. Stannis

13. Daenerys

14. Farwynd seems a nice man for an ironborn.  

15.  Daenerys

1. The Conquest: Both sides have their arguments.  Aegon did not have rights to Westeros but then again those lords did not have rights to pounce on the weak and dominate them either.  Anybody who is a noble conquered somebody.  I will choose Aegon for this.
  2. Dornish War: Iron Throne. The same right that gives the Targaryens the right to rule was practiced by all the nobles.  The Martells fought somebody and won. 
  3. Maegor 
  4. Targaryens
  5. Rhaenys
  6. The Dance:  Blacks
  7. Second Dornish War: Daeron
  8. Blackfyre Rebellion: Targaryen
  9. Robert's Rebellion:  Loyalists
  10. War of the Five Kings:  Renly. He was only doing to his brother what Robert did to Aerys. 
  11. Mance's Attack:  the Night's Watch
  12. War in the North:  Roose
  13. Slaver's Bay campaign:  Daenerys
  14. Kingsmoot:  Asha
  15. The Final King: Daenerys

1. The Conquest: Aegon or the Kings? Aegon, he had dragons.
  2. The Dornish War: The Iron Throne or Dorne? Iron Throne, it was time to achieve the Conquest.
  3. Maegor or Aenys? Maegor, Aenys was too weak and a king cannot afford to be weak.
  4. The Faith militant uprising: Targs or the Faith? Targs, those zealots had to be burn to the ground.
  5. The Council of 101: Rhaenys, Laenor or Viserys? Viserys, to keep the throne in the Targaryen dynasty.
  6. The Dance: Greens or Blacks? Greens for the same reason.
  7. The Second Dornish War: Daeron or the Martells? Daeron, time to achieve the Conquest.
  8. The Blackfyre Rebellion: Blackfyre or Targaryen? Targaryen, the Blackfyre were a bastard lineage, they didn't had any right on the IT.
  9. Roberts Rebellion: Loyalists or rebels? Rebels, Rhaegar and Aerys screwed up, they had to wiped out of history.
  10. War of the Five Kings: Stannis, the others were frauds. 
  11. Mance's attack: Wildlings or NW? NW, Mance should have made a pact instead of attacking them.
  12. War in the North, Stannis or Roose? Stannis, the One True King.
  13. Slaver's Bay campaign: Dany or the Slavers? Dany, she should have burned them all.
  14. Kingsmoot: Asha, Victarion, Euron or Farwynd? Asha, the IB have to leave the Old Way behind them and integrate to the Kingdom.
  15. The final kings: Stannis, Aegon, Jon, Dany, Tommen or Euron? Stannis, always.

On 5/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

10. War of the Five Kings: Stannis, Robb, Balon, Joffrey or Renly? 7 - 10 - 0 - 1 - 3
  13. Slaver's Bay campaign: Dany or the Slavers? 21 - 1 (okay this is kinda pointless, but still LE we found one!!!)
  1. Aegon - it was better for the majority (smallfolk) to end the forever wars of the separate, tiny kingdoms.  The high lords needed to be controlled.
  2. Iron Throne - Westeros needed to be unified for greater stability.  Bad for the High Lords but better for the majority (smallfolk and minor lords).
  3. I love House Targaryen because of Daenerys.  I have to side with Maegor because he made it possible for the family to rule for many years after.
  4. Targaryen.  Any threat to that family is the enemy to me.
  5. Princess Rhaenys
  6. Blacks
  7. Daeron - again the kingdoms needed unification.
  8. Targaryen
  9. Targaryen supporter- I believe the Starks and the Baratheons were plotting treason from the start.  Aerys had all the right to execute Rickard, Brandon, Robert, and Eddard. 
  10. Balon
  11. NW - Mance Rayder cannot and should not have his cake and get to eat it too.  He and all of the wildlings who wished to cross should bend their knees and agree to obey the ruler of Westeros and give up their wild ways.
  12. Roose
  13. Daenerys
  14. Asha
  15. Daenerys

On 5/20/2020 at 2:40 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

1. Aegon, but I do wish the outcome was 9 Kong’s for the 9 kingdoms. 
2. Dorne, they were right and badass against their fight of the Targs. 
3. Aenys, Maegor was evil. 
4. Targaryens always. 
5. Rhaenys

6.  The Blacks

7.  Daeron

8. Targaryens

9. Loyalist 

10.  Robb Stark

11. Night Watch

12. Stannis

13. Dany

14. Asha

15. Dany. 

• Aegon
  • Dorne
  • Aenys
  • Targaryens
  • Rhaenys
  • Blacks (because this taboo against woman rulers is stupid. I am a woman, hear me roar.)
  • Martells
  • Targaryen
  • Rebels
  • Robb
  • Wildlings (Yes, I know I am going against the popular opinion here, but really, more dead Wildlings = more fodder for the Others...)
  • Stannis
  • Dany
  • Asha
  • Tommen (Sorry, Stanny, but I don't want him to die.)

Archived