U.S. Politics: Self Medicating

Martell Spy

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I haven't watched it since I was a kid, outside of old highlights..........and maybe a few women.

If you watched it at the exact right time, it was amazing, but the attitude era came and went and that was that. The wrestler I'm referencing was one of the few kings of the era. And the man delivered.

It’s actually currently pretty good.  The cast of characters are different, but the overall themes are timeless.  I hadn’t watched it since I was a kid either until about 6 months ago when I watched an episode of Smackdown because I’m married and don’t automatically go out on Friday nights anymore.  Even if you haven’t watched it in years, it takes about 5 minutes to figure out what’s going on and... I have to say I was pretty entertained.  I haven’t watched in a few months though.  They continued without crowds and it is not at all the same viewing experience without the crowd there being into it.  Whenever all this blows over I actually want to go to one.  Ringside or bust.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Republican Senate nominee in Oregon is a QAnon believer. This is a thing we're doing, I guess.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/republican-candidate-senate-oregon-qanon-jo-rae-perkins

Q is one of those things that is SO DUMB that I know deep down I really shouldn’t get angry about it but it really pisses me off nonetheless.  I found out a couple of months ago through my mom that a couple of my aunts are big time Q-tards (and trying to convert her, no less) and it’s just a bridge too fucking far for me.  I can be civil with Republicans. I can even be civil with certain Trump supporters depending on what their excuse is for saddling our country with a global embarrassment- but I absolutely can’t hold it together around the Q people.  It’s hard to think of a surer way to out oneself as a delusional dumbass than to evangelize Q drops.

11 minutes ago, S John said:

It’s actually currently pretty good.  The cast of characters are different, but the overall themes are timeless.  I hadn’t watched it since I was a kid either until about 6 months ago when I watched an episode of Smackdown because I’m married and don’t automatically go out on Friday nights anymore.  Even if you haven’t watched it in years, it takes about 5 minutes to figure out what’s going on and... I have to say I was pretty entertained.  I haven’t watched in a few months though.  They continued without crowds and it is not at all the same viewing experience without the crowd there being into it.  Whenever all this blows over I actually want to go to one.  Ringside or bust.

When you can't hit your opponent in the face with a steel chair, why bother? 

The reason why HBK is so great is because his finisher, while simple, is the most believable. A kick to the head with a huge smack is rather graceful.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

When you can't hit your opponent in the face with a steel chair, why bother? 

The reason why HBK is so great is because his finisher, while simple, is the most believable. A kick to the head with a huge smack is rather graceful.

They are still doing all of that stuff.  

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The reason why HBK is so great is because his finisher

The reason HBK was so great is because he could wrestle a 5 star match with a ladder, not because he used a rather common superkick as a finisher gimmicked up as a cowboy at, like, Texas Roadhouse.  Politics! 

37 minutes ago, S John said:

They are still doing all of that stuff.  

From what I've heard they've really scaled the rotten part of the sport back, which is a shame.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

The reason HBK was so great is because he could wrestle a 5 star match with a ladder, not because he used a rather common superkick as a finisher gimmicked up as a cowboy at, like, Texas Roadhouse.  Politics! 

No. The way it was so clean, along with the sound it made, was why he had the best finisher. It was by far the most realistic. Stone Cold will always be my fav, but the Stunner was not as frightening as some Sweet Chin Music! 

But I would like to return to watching The Three Musketeers. 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That man has one of the worst cases of resting asshole face I have ever seen.

I have never, in my whole life, understood the appeal of "Professional Wrestling".  

Same idea as a soap opera, but more hitting people with chairs so men can watch it without anyone questioning their sexuality.

I don't think this has been linked? I missed a lot of the last thread..... 

Norma McCorve, the "Roe" in Roe vs Wade who converted to being anti-abortion, revealed on her deathbed (kind of) that she switched because she was paid to do so.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/roe-v-wade-norma-mccorveyanti-abortion-rights-groups-paid-aka-jane-doe/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/jane-roe-religious-right-abortion_n_5ec585c4c5b60437ff66c173?ri18n=true

Why are A level pollsters like SurveyUSA doing polls of WA and CA? I hope they drop some battleground state polls soon. Anyway, I saw three state polls from "Hodas and Associates", which is a partisan pollster it looks like. - PA: Trump +5, WI : Biden +9 and MI: Biden +9. Just seems like hot garbage all around, but lets throw it into the mix.

49 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Why are A level pollsters like SurveyUSA doing polls of WA and CA? I hope they drop some battleground state polls soon. Anyway, I saw three state polls from "Hodas and Associates", which is a partisan pollster it looks like. - PA: Trump =5, WI : Biden + 9 and MI: Biden + 9. Just seems like hot garbage all around, but lets throw it into the mix.

Biden being up 9 in WI and down 5 in PA sounds ridiculous.  Sometimes you get strange discrepancies between different pollsters but for the same pollster on the same day, there is no way that could be right. 

54 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Why are A level pollsters like SurveyUSA doing polls of WA and CA? 

Because someone paid them to? In all likelihood the purpose of the poll was for some lower statewide election or a ballot initiative; which they might not release the results from since it was private. And since they were doing the poll anyway, they decided to ask a few presidential horserace questions as well

American Research Group has always been a terrible poll for Trump.  So it's no particular surprise that their new poll of Trump's approval rating is also terrible (net disapproval of 17 points).  But what is noteworthy is that it shows the (frustratingly slow) trend of Trump's economic approval numbers going down as well.  I've seen his economic numbers slipping a few points in other polls, but this is the biggest drop I've come across.

Overall, 37% of Americans say that they approve of the way Donald Trump is handling the economy, 59% disapprove, and 4% are undecided.

That's -22 on Trump's signature issue, down 15 points since last month, and only the second time Trump has been below minus 20. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

American Research Group has always been a terrible poll for Trump.  So it's no particular surprise that their new poll of Trump's approval rating is also terrible (net disapproval of 17 points).  But what is noteworthy is that it shows the (frustratingly slow) trend of Trump's economic approval numbers going down as well.  I've seen his economic numbers slipping a few points in other polls, but this is the biggest drop I've come across.

That's -22 on Trump's signature issue, down 15 points since last month, and only the second time Trump has been below minus 20. 

I'm not sure that's slow. It was one of the few things he polled well on just a few months ago. If anything I'd call that a disaster for him.

The economy is a perfect example though of how full of shit Republicans are. I haven't looked at the data in a while because I see no point to it (not that it doesn't matter, just macro level doesn't matter to me). The last few years of Obama's term were actually better than Trump's first few years, but that didn't stop them from crushing Obama while praising Trump.

They're all fucking liars and frauds. I've always tried to treat Republicans like a friendly rival, but I'm basically done with that outside of a few friends and family.

Perhaps some will take heart at this piece at 538, which argues that Biden's core identity is not "centrist" but rather "center of the Democratic party", which suggests that the further left the Democrats go, the center within the party will shift leftward and so, too, will Biden.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Because someone paid them to? In all likelihood the purpose of the poll was for some lower statewide election or a ballot initiative; which they might not release the results from since it was private. And since they were doing the poll anyway, they decided to ask a few presidential horserace questions as well

I guess then my follow up question would be why no one paid them to poll the battleground states.

Anyway, there is a consistent story that Biden is well up, which correlates well with Trump's drop in approval ratings, but we've seen this dance before. I'm taking nothing for granted, and making sure my vote happens in November (whether by mail, or going in person, whatever)

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not sure that's slow. It was one of the few things he polled well on just a few months ago. If anything I'd call that a disaster for him.

But like I said, ARG has a decided anti-Trump lean, and other polls have shown only a small drop on Trump's economic approval.  My suspicion and hope is that as the pain of this economic calamity inevitably grows more widespread, that number will continue to tick down until only the die-hard Trumpists are left. 

5 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Anyway, there is a consistent story that Biden is well up, which correlates well with Trump's drop in approval ratings, but we've seen this dance before. I'm taking nothing for granted, and making sure my vote happens in November (whether by mail, or going in person, whatever)

I wouldn't call Biden well ahead.  I would say he is clearly ahead by a small/medium margin, depending on the poll.  That might seem like a minor distinction, but it strikes me as very relevant.  The election isn't for six more months and there's a lot of work to do.

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But like I said, ARG has a decided anti-Trump lean, and other polls have shown only a small drop on Trump's economic approval.  My suspicion and hope is that as the pain of this economic calamity inevitably grows more widespread, that number will continue to tick down until only the die-hard Trumpists are left. 

The news box indicates close to 40m people have now lost their jobs, or at least been approved for unemployment, and that's an under count. It took me a few weeks to get in. And there's not much of a way to get work unless you have some specific skill sets. 

I do actually think the economy will come back online in time, but my guess is anything from now until who knows when, likely well after the election, will be blips and not anything sustainable. I hope I'm wrong because so many are suffering.

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The economy is a perfect example though of how full of shit Republicans are. I haven't looked at the data in a while because I see no point to it (not that it doesn't matter, just macro level doesn't matter to me). The last few years of Obama's term were actually better than Trump's first few years, but that didn't stop them from crushing Obama while praising Trump.

They're all fucking liars and frauds. I've always tried to treat Republicans like a friendly rival, but I'm basically done with that outside of a few friends and family.

They are still praising him on the economy!  Hannity just last night was talking about all his pre-covid numbers as if those number actually mean anything to anyone.  Not only that, but they are trying to frame it as being better than Obama's, when at any macro or micro level it's clearly not the case. 

They are so full of fucking shit that it's basically impossible to have a conversation with any of them.  They live in a completely different reality.

4 minutes ago, aceluby said:

They are still praising him on the economy!  Hannity just last night was talking about all his pre-covid numbers as if those number actually mean anything to anyone.  Not only that, but they are trying to frame it as being better than Obama's, when at any macro or micro level it's clearly not the case. 

They are so full of fucking shit that it's basically impossible to have a conversation with any of them.  They live in a completely different reality.

Who cares what Hannity says? People are suffering, the uptick in the markets doesn't matter to most people, and the President is behaving like a complete idiot. People can see it. 

The only problem is the Electoral College. Without that, and assuming people can actually vote (big assumption, though, which is why I don't get the poll watching), Trump would get dunked on in November.

The frustrating part is that so many Americans don't want to admit how wrong they were, and they want to own the libs for whatever reason someone thinks like that. 

Archived