U.S. Politics: Self Medicating

Martell Spy

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think you should have a bit more fun reading about Florida. ;)

You mean that mythical Elephants' Graveyard North Americans, where old White Folks instinctively direct themselves, once they reach a certain age to die?

Where a methed up Aligator serves as ferrymen to help their souls cross river of meth, which I have been lead to believe is the only natural resource of Florida*, while listening to Styx?

That place just sounds truely awful, even by American standards.

Tennessee, that's where the folks piss into oak barrles and pretend it's Whiskey, right?

*ofc it's not the only natural resource of Florida, but I had to keep up for the joke. As we all know, there are also strippers.

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You mean that mythical Elephants' Graveyard North Americans, where old White Folks instinctively direct themselves, one they reach a certain age to die?

Where a methed up Aligator serves as ferrymen to help their souls cross river of meth, which I have been lead to believe is the only natural resource of Florida, while listening to Styx?

That place just sounds truely awful, even by American standards.

Tennessee, that's where the folks piss into oak barrles and pretend it's Whiskey, right?

That's called Kentucky.

ETA: @Rhom, even your traitor son wouldn't make this kind of mistake. Now he has no choice but to hunt this German down. 

I hope you train him well. 

5 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Actually I was always most fond of benzodiazepines. Take a couple milligrams of Klonopin and it's like you're living underwater. Real quiet down there.

Moonshine, meanwhile, I find to be uncouth. I'm a classy lady, I'll have you know.

Agreed, I always preferred Xanax, Valium, and Klono to oxy.  And moonshine can be classy!  Hell seems all those flavored brands are pretty trendy lately.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I thought that was the woman from Dexter. 

It is.  Margo Martindale is in a lot of things.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Agreed, I always preferred Xanax, Valium, and Klono to oxy.  And moonshine can be classy!  Hell seems all those flavored brands are pretty trendy lately.

Woof, you run harder than me.

Valium never did much for me, but Xanax bars, those things could fuck you up. I'd eat a box of cereal on those bastards. It's why I only tried them a few times.

ETA: I was never much for pills though. Tried to avoid the harder stuff despite moving weight when it came to weed. You've just got to know yourself sometimes. :dunno:

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Woof, you run harder than me.

I used the past tense for a reason.  Although a few years back this guy started offering me xanax for some of my booze.  I gladly agreed, but always wondered why he had such difficulty buying alcohol.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

I used the past tense for a reason.  Although a few years back this guy started offering me xanax for some of my booze.  I gladly agreed, but always wondered why he had such difficulty buying alcohol.

Odd trade. I just had a friend who couldn't pay a few times, and he gave me that instead. I only tried them a few times. They're not bad, per se, but super easy to abuse. And that's never been my thing.

My best trade was hash for coke at the same amount of grams. I didn't even want the coke. Just knew some people at the party did and I was going to toss it to them as a friend. 

I cannot describe the fear, walking past several cops as they were breaking up a party in a city @Fury Resurrected has described as the asshole of our state with a giant bag of weed, another giant bag of hash, some coke and a scale in my pocket with some bags to boot. It was the party I had just left to make the trade down the street. 

I was tripping on shrooms at the time. Fun times when you're young and dumb.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

is a Raisin

Like a California Raisin? Did Jesus hear it through the grapevine?

Apparently Biden has asked Klobuchar to undergo VP vetting. Obviously doesn't mean that she is going to get the nod, but seems she is a finalist at least. Kind of weird that this is the one that we hear about, unless this is the first of a number of finalists. Also don't understand the politics of picking her. Shes don't really bring much to the table, and the only thing truely notable about her campaign is how much she seemed to despise Pete.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Six degrees of separation is fun for Tiger King. Can't claim I know anyone in that range, but I do know every living President.

I think I probably find a connection because I can link quickly to a fair number of national level politicians, but my connection to Trump is more interesting because it is only three or four degrees (depending if you include having met someone once at a wedding as a degree) and it goes through Vince McMahon.

Kloubuchar is a Midwestern lady. She looks and talks like a tough old oak that doesn't take sass. Sexually repressed moms can see themselves in her and men with more guns than sense won't get scurrd 'cause she sounds too mean.

In other words one might say that she's an ideal choice to shore up the areas where Democrats were weak in 2016. 

13 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Apparently Biden has asked Klobuchar to undergo VP vetting. Obviously doesn't mean that she is going to get the nod, but seems she is a finalist at least. Kind of weird that this is the one that we hear about, unless this is the first of a number of finalists. Also don't understand the politics of picking her. Shes don't really bring much to the table, and the only thing truely notable about her campaign is how much she seemed to despise Pete.

I think I probably find a connection because I can link quickly to a fair number of national level politicians, but my connection to Trump is more interesting because it is only three or four degrees (depending if you include having met someone once at a wedding as a degree) and it goes through Vince McMahon.

I would prefer that my old boss does not get picked. 

And if internet interactions count in the game, you all can say you're within six degrees too. Though I was anyways as a kid before I worked for Amy.

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Kloubuchar is a Midwestern lady. She looks and talks like a tough old oak that doesn't take sass. Sexually repressed moms can see themselves in her and men with more guns than sense won't get scurrd 'cause she sounds too mean.

In other words one might say that she's an ideal choice to shore up the areas where Democrats were weak in 2016. 

No.

If you're going Midwest, as two children from the Heartland, you go Whitmer.

7 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I was watching that video of the Costco worker asking a man to put on his mask or leave the store. The Trumper was recording it. He was super aggressive, but the Costco worker effectively took the man's cart and forced him to leave. I think, obviously, the Costco worker is working well above what he's paid to do, and he did the right thing, but I worry about these crazy fuckers who refuse to wear masks (but will wear guns) hurting low wage workers put in positions like this. 

The shooting you linked, isn't related to that, but this country seems ripe for rage shootings due to things like enforcing the wearing of masks. At the very least, these workers should be making hazard pay. 

There was an actual shooting a month or so ago of a server who had asked someone to leave as they weren't wearing a mask. :( 

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

One might also say she is redundant because Biden is already pretty popular in those areas. I don't know who he should pick (I have people I would like to see, but no need to start that fight again), but I do know who I don't want, and Amy is pretty high on that list. In part it is because she is not far left enough, so I do have some bias but more so because I don't think she increases the likelihood of a victory. There is also some issues with her past as a prosecutor, though that may be overblown and Biden already does well with African Americans.

Like I said, I think this is just the first of many that we are going to hear about over the next few months, just weird that this is the first one we hear about.

I have heard about the Biden campaign vetting Harris and Grisham and I think Cortez Masto as well.  I'm not sure if that is "final vetting", but I'm not sure that is a real thing anyway.  I would be fairly surprised if Biden picks Klobuchar, she doesn't do much for the ticket, IMO.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Six degrees of separation is fun for Tiger King. Can't claim I know anyone in that range, but I do know every living President.

David Caruso gave my sister an autographed photo with his number on the back at my brother's, and his daughters, Yale graduation. 

If Biden is focused on flipping the Obama to Trump rust belt states and states like Arizona, I don't see how Klobuchar helps him at all. I think he's probably stronger in the rust belt than she is. I could see maybe she'd be useful in states like Iowa where her hot dish in the heartland shtick goes over well, but over all I don't think she's a good pick.

ETA I'm not even sure I know what a hot dish is, I had the wrong name and googled it and now I'm scared. Do people really eat that?

30 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I have heard about the Biden campaign vetting Harris and Grisham and I think Cortez Masto as well.  I'm not sure if that is "final vetting", but I'm not sure that is a real thing anyway.  I would be fairly surprised if Biden picks Klobuchar, she doesn't do much for the ticket, IMO.

I've really been warming up lately to Lujan-Grisham as the VP pick.

23 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

David Caruso gave my sister an autographed photo with his number on the back at my brother's, and his daughters, Yale graduation. 

I mean, this does beg the obvious question. 

Archived