U.S. Politics: Self Medicating

Martell Spy

7 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Everyone in Minnesota knows someone who knew Prince in some capacity (in my case a photographer I worked with was hired by him a few times)

If you didn't know someone who knew Prince, you knew someone who was conceived while their parents were listening to him, this guy included.

Funny how one of the biggest stars ever just kind of walked around the city and no one ever bothered him. Or perhaps Minnesota really is just the actual Hotel California.

Anyways, if I'm going off politics, since I have everyone who has ever mattered and they're well within six degrees, so congrats, ya'll got them too, I'd have to say:

I met an actor from the Star Trek remake, who tragically died way to young, which means I've got that handsome devil Pine, and that in turn is just probably all of Hollyweird, and that's before even counting my great-uncle did business with that disgusting rapist who can rot in jail for the rest of his life.

A close friend's uncle is an NFL minority owner, so I can just claim the whole league the way they fraternize. 

One of the key players on the 90's Bulls picked me up at a fancy restaurant when I was a kid. Chris Farley was there, but I didn't know who that was at the time. My mom described has the worst drunken slob she'd ever seen. Little would any of us know that the young recent law school graduate we were celebrating who easily become the most powerful person in that room.

KG has dapped me up at a game.

I sadly don't recall any good MoA stories though.

Oh, also, the guy who voiced the character who I believe has the greatest arc ever in anime wrote me a little message when he signed my poster at an event when I was a kid. I still have the thing framed, somewhere.

Three polls out of NC yesterday (Fox News, Data for Progress and Neighborhood Research and Media) that show Biden +8, +10 and even respectively. Fox news is a good pollster, so is this what made Trump mad at them? I'd be a bit skeptical of such good numbers in NC of all places, but there is some real movement away from Trump across the board.

5 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Three polls out of NC yesterday (Fox News, Data for Progress and Neighborhood Research and Media) that show Biden +8, +10 and even respectively. Fox news is a good pollster, so is this what made Trump mad at them? I'd be a bit skeptical of such good numbers in NC of all places, but there is some real movement away from Trump across the board.

The last few days have been very poor polling wise for Trump.  I can't really figure out why unless it's just the general macro factors like his incompetence and the economy collapsing finally weighing him down. 

10 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Also, Tesla I think you misread the 538 poll page.  The Fox News and Data for Progress polls are national polls, not NC.  The only polls I see for NC yesterday is the Neighborhood Research (even) and Redfield and Wilton (Biden +2).  Which fits better with my understanding of NC being a pretty reliably R+5 or so kinda state. 

It's pretty hard to find good polling for Trump anywhere, but it's all way too early, and again, we still have no idea what voting will actually look like and Republicans will suppress the living shit out of it in urban areas.

My fear is that things do start to get better, in a sense, and low information voters will forget that much of this is literally his fault and reward him in November for things being back on the upswing, assuming another wave doesn't have much of an impact.

9 hours ago, dornishpen said:

According to google it's a tater tot, meat and condensed soup casserole which sounds terrifying.

Yeah, I live in the region it exists in.  Hot dish = casserole.  

25 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Oh yes, I think I did.....their polls are grouped in a confusing manner. Meh, its still bad news for Trump, but not as bad as I previously thought.

I'm not even sure which I would prefer at this point. Trump needs NC, but being unpopular in one state is much more manageable.  There's still a fairly wide spread of results in terms of national polling, but the better, recent pollsters are between Biden +5 and +11.  For an incumbent president, that's pretty bad. 

EDIT:  In the past two days we've had the following national results from pollsters rated B- or better on 538:  Biden +8, +10, +7, +9, +5, and +11.  That's a lot of polls telling a very similar story. 

That was a bit of weird discussion about stars. I was spoiled as a Journalism student, I got to meet lots of people by asking for an interview. I think one of my favorites was Keir Dullea, who offered me a drink, and I asked for a vodka and tonic, so long ago, folks, that people hadn’t started drinking vodka and tonic yet. He had never heard of the combination.

The strangest event was when my best bud and I went to a famous folk singer’s concert, and decided to ask if we could go backstage after the concert, as student reporters. The singer had this absolutely lovely, slender young lady with long dark hair with him, and his manager invited me to go back home with them and party. On one hand I was flattered, on the other I wasn’t going to abandon my friend (she was not included) and I was under no illusions that the invite was not about doing a story. She chided me for not going, which made me roll my eyes. The next day we were telling the story to an executive in the university’s administration, who we had become friends with when he had advertised for student help to do a large project. He immediately knew who the lovely lady was, because he had tried to date her only to find out who she was hanging out with. No hope for him. Turned out she was a young Cathy Smith, of John Belushi fame. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Joe :bang:

It's a rough interview. He comes off as the gatekeeper for being black. At one point he talks about how his support in SC was stronger than Obama's. Which may be true, but saying that is a losing proposition.

Edit: Also strange coincidence for me, I only recently was exposed to Charlemagne tha God through the show Dave.  

39 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That was a bit of weird discussion about stars.

How dare you call it weird and then sink into it!!!!1!!1!!!

Also, I would have guessed you were a history major before going to law school. 

10 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I turned down a dinner invitation with a well known punk musician/actor/person who is famous for being famous because said person was only two years younger than Fury Sr.

Ok, that one peaked my curiosity. Famous US Punk Rocker and actor.

Could be either Iggy, or Henry Rollins. If I were to make a guess, I'd go with Hank (note, I have no idea how old Fury senior is, so that hint was worthress to me Alec Baldwin). Altho, the famous for being famous bit gives me pause. A nevermind, I stick with Hank. Those CKY Jackasses would stretch the term famous, and they are presumably too young anyway.

I am one degree of separation or less from every member of the Misfits, any lineup.

I got something to say... that is actually awesome, and yes, my set up for that was lame. 100% agree,

I called Ozzy Osbourne an asshole at the mall of America as a teenager.

You were wise beyond your age back then.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Joe :bang:

This statement could only hurt Biden.
Comes across as arrogant. Entitled instead of grateful for the support he’s been given. And possibly drives some potential Black people who’d be hesitant.

It’s a really stupid statement.

And imo racist. 

5 hours ago, aceluby said:

That's a very specific hot dish, not all hot dishes are tater tot hot dish.  Hot dish is just any casserole.

And they are all disgusting, though some are more so than others.  So quoth this one who grew up in hot dish central.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ok, that one peaked my curiosity. Famous US Punk Rocker and actor.

Could be either Iggy, or Henry Rollins. If I were to make a guess, I'd go with Hank (note, I have no idea how old Fury senior is, so that hint was worthress to me Alec Baldwin). Altho, the famous for being famous bit gives me pause. A nevermind, I stick with Hank. Those CKY Jackasses would stretch the term famous, and they are presumably too young anyway.

I got something to say... that is actually awesome, and yes, my set up for that was lame. 100% agree,

You were wise beyond your age back then.

Your guesses are good, Fury Sr is 63.

My spouse equivalent Young Boring Danzig is in a band that opens for the Misfits when they play in this area and his bff/heterolifepartner/band mate/label co owner is also in Doyle’s band. So I have met the Ciafas (Doyle, Jerry, Jerry Jr) and Michale Graves. I have purposely avoided meeting Glenn because I want to remember him only as young and handsome Danzig from Samhain and prior and not the weird old man he has become. I don’t really have nice things to say about Jerry, Doyle is nice, I do not like Michale Grave’s music but he was very nice to me and I spent about 12 hours trolling him.

As for Jackass, I’ve met SteveO a couple times and he’s a really nice dude. A good friend of mine is a comedian so I am also one degree from Dave Chapelle and Donell Rawlings and SteveO through him.

Behind Trump’s demand to reopen churches: Slipping poll numbers and alarm inside his campaign
Trump was counting on widening support from white religious voters this fall. The pandemic is sending his numbers the other way.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/22/trump-churches-evaneglicals-coronavirus-274842

A sudden shift in support for President Donald Trump among religious conservatives is triggering alarm bells inside his reelection campaign, where top aides have long banked on expanding the president’s evangelical base as a key part of their strategy for victory this November.

The anxiety over Trump’s standing with the Christian right surfaced after a pair of surveys by reputable outfits earlier this month found waning confidence in the administration’s coronavirus response among key religious groups, with a staggering decline in the president’s favorability among white evangelicals and white Catholics. Both are crucial constituencies that supported Trump by wide margins in 2016 and could sink his reelection prospects if their turnout shrinks this fall.

The polls paint a bleak picture for Trump, who has counted on broadening his religious support by at least a few percentage points to compensate for weakened appeal with women and suburban populations. One GOP official said the dip in the president’s evangelical support also appeared in internal party polling, but disputed the notion that it had caused panic. Another person close to the campaign described an April survey by the Public Religion Research Institute, which showed a double-digit decline in Trump’s favorability among white evangelicals (-11), white Catholics (-12) and white mainline protestants (-18) from the previous month, as “pretty concerning.”

To safeguard his relationship with religious conservatives, Trump on Friday demanded that America‘s governors permit houses of worship to immediately reopen, and threatened to “override“ state leaders who decline to obey his directive. The announcement — which came days after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention omitted religious institutions in new guidance about industry re-openings — featured clear appeals to white evangelicals, many of whom have long supported Trump's socially conservative agenda.

22 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Behind Trump’s demand to reopen churches: Slipping poll numbers and alarm inside his campaign
Trump was counting on widening support from white religious voters this fall. The pandemic is sending his numbers the other way.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/22/trump-churches-evaneglicals-coronavirus-274842

The panderer in chief.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The panderer in chief.

Not to be too rude, as a non-believer, but in my experience many high level religious leaders are pretty much the same. Preach one thing, practice something completely different. 

Just look at Joel Osteen's punk ass making millions off of his mega church while not letting people shelter in it during a weather crisis until he was shamed into doing so and then claim he always wanted to help his fellow citizens. 

Archived