U.S. Politics: Self Medicating

Martell Spy

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

One of them was black. When he was golfing, he was being lazy. But Donald's fat ass? He was exercising. 

But ... but ... exercising depletes your life force or batteries or whatever the fuck. I heard someone say that once and I’m pretty sure he was an expert on the subject matter. Surely the president wouldn’t be so stupid as to drain his battery.

26 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

But ... but ... exercising depletes your life force or batteries or whatever the fuck. I heard someone say that once and I’m pretty sure he was an expert on the subject matter. Surely the president wouldn’t be so stupid as to drain his battery.

That's still a top 5 dumbest things he's said in my book.

And the odd part is, the mother fucker never sleeps.

What a strange person, on so many levels.

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's still a top 5 dumbest things he's said in my book.

And the odd part is, the mother fucker never sleeps.

What a strange person, on so many levels.

He's 100% Colin Robinson from the TV series of What We Do In Shadows. An energy vampire that sustains itself through subjecting others to bored, awkward, and/or angry emotions.

37 minutes ago, Week said:

He's 100% Colin Robinson from the TV series of What We Do In Shadows. An energy vampire that sustains itself through subjecting others to bored, awkward, and/or angry emotions.

Can't say I've seen the show, but it sounds accurate. 

His best skill though is just annoying you into submission. It's staggeringly effective. 

15 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

A new poll from MN puts Biden +5, but to (re)emphasize, state polls have somewhat higher errors than national ones, and many of the problems from 2016 may not have been fixed yet.

We're the most reliably blue state at the presidential level. If we fall, there's no chance Biden wins.

17 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Only 3 years for 6 billion euro??? That sounds pretty short

But are they selling it after three years, or giving it back? If it's the former, I don't see a problem. Governments are in debt and have other things to do with their money than investing in corporations (particularly not ones whose business model is harmful to the environment).

But if they are donating their shares back to the company after three years, then that's terrible.

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

We're the most reliably blue state at the presidential level.

Uh, what?  While obviously if Biden loses Minnesota he almost certainly lost the EC, in no way is Minnesota the most reliable blue state at any level.  It's not even the most reliable Dem-leaning purple state at this point.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Uh, what?  While obviously if Biden loses Minnesota he almost certainly lost the EC, in no way is Minnesota the most reliable blue state at any level.  It's not even the most reliable Dem-leaning purple state at this point.

We've gone blue more consecutively than any other state.

Our problem is the 7th and 8th, i.e. Northern Minnesota. The culture wars have overtaken union and labor concerns, and many of them have grown increasingly resentful towards us in the Twin Cities. 

And then there's all the issues with mining. You can't really tell a place called "The Iron Range" that they barely get to do it anymore without serious political repercussions. 

I do hope one day you see it though. It is stunningly beautiful. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

We've gone blue more consecutively than any other state.

That's merely a feature of being the only state to vote for Mondale in 84.  It's trivia, not any type of indicator relating to reliability.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

A new poll from MN puts Biden +5, but to (re)emphasize, state polls have somewhat higher errors than national ones, and many of the problems from 2016 may not have been fixed yet.

Clinton only won Minnesota by 1.5%. I could believe the rural parts of the state have gotten more red since then and Biden only being up by 5% even though he's beating Clinton's margins by more than that elsewhere. Or it's an outlier.

In other possible outlier state polls, there's one of Utah that only has Trump by +3 (44-41). I can't imagine the final margin being that close. But if the Mormon vote is still that soft on Trump, it's another good sign for Biden's chances in Arizona and Nevada.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's merely a feature of being the only state to vote for Mondale in 84.  It's trivia, not any type of indicator relating to reliability.

How dare you!

Jokes aside, I do believe every statewide office is held by the DFL. There's just some internal things that have complicated some areas, and the state is moving away from it's traditional sectors. 

On the accuracy of state polls, Rakich has a piece up on 538.  The largest errors in 2016 were indeed Ohio, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Michigan (Wisconsin doesn't even qualify for the time period used, which I suppose goes to show it wasn't just Hillary ignoring the state).  That's actually encouraging news as such errors to not tend to be systemic, and in fact are rather random.  So the likelihood of NC, PA, and MI again having the highest errors - in the Dems' favor to boot - is minimal.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

How dare you!

....You needed to edit that?

But speaking of MN politics, man that video that's making the media rounds is hard to watch. When you watch it in full, the cops knee is on the guy's neck for like five plus minutes, and he's getting crushed while begging for his life. Absolutely sickening. And as he's there dying people are begging the cops to stop while one just stands there and blocks everyone from helping. 

They should all go to jail for the rest of their lives. 

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Clinton only won Minnesota by 1.5%. I could believe the rural parts of the state have gotten more red since then and Biden only being up by 5% even though he's beating Clinton's margins by more than that elsewhere. Or it's an outlier.

Trump thinks he can turn MN red, so its definitely a place to spend some time playing defense.

I'd also think the Biden campaign should go into 2020 without too many historical assumptions like the Clinton campaign did, including buying into notions like the 'blue wall' or the lengthy period of time MN has voted blue. Particularly since voting patterns may be disrupted by COVID 19. I think the battleground strategy should be expanded past the 'usual' 7-8 to something more resembling 14-15, so there are more permutations in play.

That way, even if MN is lost, there should be a few outcomes where the EC is still in play.

7 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

If you do that at the end of the year you will become the Soviet Union of America.

Ok cool, yeah, let's just keep giving away free money to big corporations which they then use to increase their profits, great idea. The government taking a stake in a company both allows the government to recoup most if not more than it's bailout investment, as well as by taking a large stake allows them to to ensure that you don't see shit like what happened during the global financial crisis. Just giving bailouts without strings attached means there is no consequence for their actions.

18 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Ok cool, yeah, let's just keep giving away free money to big corporations which they then use to increase their profits, great idea. The government taking a stake in a company both allows the government to recoup most if not more than it's bailout investment, as well as by taking a large stake allows them to to ensure that you don't see shit like what happened during the global financial crisis. Just giving bailouts without strings attached means there is no consequence for their actions.

It was tongue in cheek actually. The joke was if governments start buying stakes from every company they bail out, at the end of this sorry excuse of a year they will own large swats of the productive apparatus, becoming a Soviet Union in all but name. 

Disclaimer: I have no stake in US politics.

Archived