Jump to content
Martell Spy

U.S. Politics: Self Medicating

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The panderer in chief.

Not to be too rude, as a non-believer, but in my experience many high level religious leaders are pretty much the same. Preach one thing, practice something completely different. 

Just look at Joel Osteen's punk ass making millions off of his mega church while not letting people shelter in it during a weather crisis until he was shamed into doing so and then claim he always wanted to help his fellow citizens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Your guesses are good, Fury Sr is 63.

Good, but not quite right. Iggy is in his seventies and obviously way older. And Rollins will turn 60 next year (I knew he'd be ~60 now, so yeah, I was kinda curious enough to check his actual age). So 63-59 = 4 and not 2. So even with pushing birthday back and forth, I can't turn that into two years. Anyway, as amusing as it is, I think, it's time to leave this rabbit hole now (better late than never). But talking about rabbit holes

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I have purposely avoided meeting Glenn because I want to remember him only as young and handsome Danzig from Samhain and prior and not the weird old man he has become. I don’t really have nice things to say about Jerry, Doyle is nice, I do not like Michale Grave’s music but he was very nice to me and I spent about 12 hours trolling him.

So you are part of the NWO conspiracy then, eh? Who conned you into it, I bet it was Ty. Nah, seriously. A pity Glenn went full batshit crazy at some point. That rabbit hole is best avoided.

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

As for Jackass, I’ve met SteveO a couple times and he’s a really nice dude. A good friend of mine is a comedian so I am also one degree from Dave Chapelle and Donell Rawlings and SteveO through him.

Didn't have Steve O in mind, who comes across as a sound bloke. But I thought more of Knoxville and the Margeras, who come across as less nice folks, when I made that remark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Joe :bang:

It was indeed a typical head-smacking Biden gaffe.  Thinking he's being funny when instead being offensive.  I did this article - Why Do Democrats Keep Embarrassing Themselves on ‘The Breakfast Club’? - interesting due to this.  Sounds like Charlamagne tha God should host Meet the Press.

Also, this might be of interest since we discussed the Senate amendment(s) last week:

Quote

House leaders have struck a deal to consider an amendment to legislation reauthorizing controversial domestic surveillance programs, in a bid to incorporate new restrictions on the ability of the government to monitor Americans' internet browsing histories without a warrant.

The language of the amendment, which will be offered by Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) and Rep. Warren Davidson (R-Ohio), is still being finalized, according to a Democratic aide familiar with the process. [...]

The Lofgren measure is expected to closely mirror one that narrowly failed in the Senate offered by Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Steve Daines (R-Mont.). Their proposal would require government officials to obtain a court-approved warrant before accessing Americans' web browsing histories — or, in an urgent situation, to obtain these histories and retroactively get them approved by a judge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't fucking understand why the WH Press Corps even bothers asking questions of McEnany. She never says anything except for straight up right wing propaganda. It's not even newsworthy, unlike when Trump told people to drink bleach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I don't fucking understand why the WH Press Corps even bothers asking questions of McEnany. She never says anything except for straight up right wing propaganda. It's not even newsworthy, unlike when Trump told people to drink bleach.

They don't have any choice really. Access is everything. And that in turn is why they do not press people they way you want them to.

I tried and failed to find the clip, but Lewis Black really cut to the heart of it. Meet the Press had a round table of comedians, and he discussed off air (he was telling the story, I think on The Daily show, years ago) with Chuck Todd why he didn't call out out the obvious lies, regardless of party (I think). Todd told him it was because they'd never come back. 

RE: The Biden Situation, yeah, publicly it's a terrible look. That's one of those jokes you may hear in private, assuming he was honest when he said that's what it was, but an old white man can't make that joke to a younger black man, not unless you're boys. Still, a week from now, it probably won't matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, is it too cynical of me to think that some Republicans are pushing openings because it will mostly affect black and Latinx Americans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

So, is it too cynical of me to think that some Republicans are pushing openings because it will mostly affect black and Latinx Americans?

Oh, I don't know.  Pushing openings is just to make sure Bob Cratchit gets back to understanding he needs to earn his keep.  The effect upon minorities is more of an added benefit to decrease the surplus population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, aceluby said:

...not all hot dishes are tater tot hot dish.

I keep coming back to this and the sadness it brings me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

So, is it too cynical of me to think that some Republicans are pushing openings because it will mostly affect black and Latinx Americans?

Is it too cynical of me to think that Cuomo, Murphy et al were pushing infected patients back into nursing homes because Corporeal Americans don't vote Democrat as reliably?

The primary effects openings will have on all racial and ethnic sub groups will be lower unemployment, higher income security, and better quality of life.  The horror. 

(Of course if an individual is in a very high risk category, then self isolating still makes a lot of sense, while the virus burns out among the far less susceptible.)

Is it also too cynical of me to think that accusing Republicans of racism is just a feel good measure for the accuser to counteract the ickiness inherent in Biden's statement that minorities can only have one authentic political identity?  (And the awkwardness of his "ain't" code switch?  I guess that sort of thing worked for Hillary...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Is it too cynical of me to think that Cuomo, Murphy et al were pushing infected patients back into nursing homes because Corporeal Americans don't vote Democrat as reliably?

The primary effects openings will have on all racial and ethnic sub groups will be lower unemployment, higher income security, and better quality of life.  The horror. 

(Of course if an individual is in a very high risk category, then self isolating still makes a lot of sense, while the virus burns out among the far less susceptible.)

Is it also too cynical of me to think that accusing Republicans of racism is just a feel good measure for the accuser to counteract the ickiness inherent in Biden's statement that minorities can only have one authentic political identity?  (And the awkwardness of his "ain't" code switch?  I guess that sort of thing worked for Hillary...)

The WH guidelines directed states to send recovering patients to nursing homes in order to free up hospital beds. That kinda undercuts your argument. 
And the majority of service workers who meet people are PoC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Giant Monument to Elon Musk Has Tulsa Residents Furious

https://www.thedailybeast.com/this-giant-monument-to-tesla-billionaire-elon-musk-has-tulsa-residents-furious

Tulsa’s world-famous Golden Driller, a monument of an oil worker, was changed to Tesla’s Elon Musk in a bid to lure his Cybertruck Gigafactory. And locals are not pleased.

Quote

 

In a dystopian bid to lure Tesla’s Cybertruck Gigafactory to Tulsa, the Oklahoma state monument—a seven-story, 22-ton statue of an oil worker called The Golden Driller—has been redesigned as an effigy of Elon Musk. The likeness of X Æ A-12’s multibillionaire father, now called The Driller ‘Golden Elon,’ is one of the largest free-standing statues in the U.S. 

“Tulsa is a city that doesn’t stifle entrepreneurs - we revere them!” Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum wrote on Facebook, prompting an onslaught of enraged replies. “Golden @elonmusk is now the 6th-tallest statue in the United States. #TulsaforTesla @Tesla.” 

The gargantuan statue, unveiled earlier this week at a community event and on Bynum’s social media, now features a red Tesla logo painted on its chest. The Driller’s 48-foot belt, which once read “TULSA,” was changed to read “TESLA.” If you squint, the statue’s head now looks like a low-budget YouTube cartoon of Musk. “I was told onsite it was an ‘Elon Musk Face Skin,’” one worker wrote on Facebook. “It went on like a fruit roll-up.” 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The WH guidelines directed states to send recovering patients to nursing homes in order to free up hospital beds. That kinda undercuts your argument. 
And the majority of service workers who meet people are PoC. 

Did Florida do that?  No they didn't.  I don't think Georgia did either, but can't say for sure.  It's common sense to not send infected people into a facility densely stuffed with vulnerable folks.  There's a talking point that blames the White House, but the nursing home toll is much heavier in NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA, than in FL, which I would think has a higher percentage of elderly.  So DeSantis was able to ignore these WH guidelines, but Cuomo was only following Literally Hitler's orders to the letter?  That sounds pretty weak as an argument. 

Also in regards to Martell Spy's post, GT Bynum is kind of fitting name for that sort BT Barnum stunt, I must say.

 

Edited by mcbigski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Did Florida do that?  No they didn't.  I don't think Georgia did either, but can't say for sure.  It's common sense to not send infected people into a facility densely stuffed with vulnerable folks.  There's a talking point that blames the White House, but the nursing home toll is much heavier in NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA, than in FL, which I would think has a higher percentage of elderly.  So DeSantis was able to ignore these WH guidelines, but Cuomo was only following Literally Hitler's orders to the letter?  That sounds pretty weak as an argument. 

 

Don't be such a fool. The states you name were the worst hit and needed the beds. On top of that, the assumption was you weren't infectious after a certain period of time and it was safe to do so. Florida never ran out of hospital beds, but also doubt has been cast on some of their numbers.

It's amazing to me how the Republican talking point is now "Yes we issued all these guidelines but we expect you to ignore them."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 3:09 AM, Fury Resurrected said:

 

a member of my 90s Chat room V:tM group was Ryan Gosling’s cousin. 
 

This wasn't on the chat rooms that White Wolf hosted themselves, was it? I used to spend a lot of time there, in the Mage and Changeling rooms.

As for celebrity encounters, tipping off Hunter S. Thompson to the fact that a porn convention was going on a couple of miles away, and then him asking me to give directions to Johnny Depp, was probably my best one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Is it too cynical of me to think that Cuomo, Murphy et al were pushing infected patients back into nursing homes because Corporeal Americans don't vote Democrat as reliably?

The fuck does "Corporeal Americans" even mean?  Were the patients tested by their reactions to Hulk Hogan's entrance music?  If you mean seniors, which would actually make sense in terms of "pushing infected patients back into nursing homes," it should be noted the pandemic has pushed Biden over Trump among 65+ - the first time I've seen a Dem presidential candidate top his GOP opponent there in, well, my entire adult life.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Is it also too cynical of me to think that accusing Republicans of racism is just a feel good measure for the accuser to counteract the ickiness inherent in Biden's statement that minorities can only have one authentic political identity?

Nope, not one bit.  There's only one party that's spending millions of dollars to suppress minorities from voting, let alone suppressing their ability to eat, get health care, not be unjustly and disproportionately imprisoned, or even walk down the fucking road.  I'd feel a lot immeasurably more bad if I supported that party.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

then him asking me to give directions to Johnny Depp

Feel like at this point I'd be second guessing the ethics of such a decision.  But yes, any interaction with Thompson would immediately top my celebrity encounters list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DMC said:

The fuck does "Corporeal Americans" even mean?

I suspect mcbigski is making reference to the dead people that allegedly voted for Kennedy in 1960? Which is of course on brand for mcbigski: ignoring decades of GOP efforts to rob minorities of their right to vote while getting incensed over injustices suffered by Richard Fucking Nixon.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Feel like at this point I'd be second guessing the ethics of such a decision.  But yes, any interaction with Thompson would immediately top my celebrity encounters list.

During that encounter, HST was really insistent that he be let in for free, and not have to wait in line. In retrospect I should have just offered to pay for them both if they'd let me come along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DMC said:

 If you mean seniors, which would actually make sense in terms of "pushing infected patients back into nursing homes," it should be noted the pandemic has pushed Biden over Trump among 65+ - the first time I've seen a Dem presidential candidate top his GOP opponent there in, well, my entire adult life.

 

I hope the pandemic has something to do with that, but I also wonder if it's partly because that little bit of the Baby Boom that's significantly more identified with the Democratic party than the rest of it (those born in the years 1950-1953) are now all definitely over 65. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I keep coming back to this and the sadness it brings me.

You're a Wyverns  fan.

Sadness is all you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

In retrospect I should have just offered to pay for them both if they'd let me come along.

Yeah I'd feel like that's a missed opportunity too.

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I also wonder if it's partly because that little bit of the Baby Boom that's significantly more identified with the Democratic party than the rest of it (those born in the years 1950-1953) are now all definitely over 65.

I think simple aging shifts in the partisanship of the population has a lot to do with it, yes.  Also that Biden is particularly strong among older voters, independent of partisan or exogenous factors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...