Star Trek: The Wrath of Fans

Derfel Cadarn

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Getting the optimal route home is one thing, but Voyager was only able to steal a Borg transwarp conduit because they had Seven's help to infiltrate a cube. Without her, that's impossible, so Equinox couldn't have done it, so even with the "a bit better than Voyager's top speed" thing, they should still be far behind Voyager.

The Equinox crew are hoping to get back in “weeks” if they keep using that method, so I think it’s a lot faster then Voyager’s top speed.

EDIT: 10,000 light years in two weeks, according to memory alpha.

16 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

The Equinox crew are hoping to get back in “weeks” if they keep using that method, so I think it’s a lot faster then Voyager’s top speed.

EDIT: 10,000 light years in two weeks, according to memory alpha.

That's what they were hoping to do to the aliens at that point by killing their entire realm (or something), but up to that point they'd been travelling more slowly than that.

I think it's just part of the problem Voyager had where they just forgot about the Borg transwarp coil shaving off a third of their journey time in one go. As well as the Equinox problem, there's how Starfleet manages to contact them in Pathfinder (Season 6) by extrapolating their course since the Doctor made contact in Message in a Bottle (Season 4), but they couldn't extrapolate the course because that no way of knowing (whatsoever) about the Borg transwarp coil. Voyager is literally 25,000 light-years away from where Starfleet can reasonably expect them to be at that point. 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

That's what they were hoping to do to the aliens at that point by killing their entire realm (or something), but up to that point they'd been travelling more slowly than that.

I think it's just part of the problem Voyager had where they just forgot about the Borg transwarp coil shaving off a third of their journey time in one go. As well as the Equinox problem, there's how Starfleet manages to contact them in Pathfinder (Season 6) by extrapolating their course since the Doctor made contact in Message in a Bottle (Season 4), but they couldn't extrapolate the course because that no way of knowing (whatsoever) about the Borg transwarp coil. Voyager is literally 25,000 light-years away from where Starfleet can reasonably expect them to be at that point. 

I think you're right, when it comes to Voyager just forgetting it's transwarp coli shaving off a third of their journey. I mean by that logic it would have been impossible to meet some of Neelix's people in the third to last episode. I mean how the heck did those people even get past Borg space, let alone all of the other crazy aliens Voyager met at that point. Worse yet, they even talk about their home world as if it's not some insane distance away from them, in that very episode.

Rewatching Space Seed.  Shocking how much Khan sounds like Gus Fring.  Kind of took me out of the scene where he's still in sick bay talking to Kirk and Bones.  Sounds like the same accent to me, with almost the same tone, and every bit of menace.  Just went to listen to a video of Giancarlo Espisito out of character, and it really makes wonder if he was consciously channeling Ricardo Montalban when he came up with Fring's voice.  It can't just be me hearing something that isn't there, can it?

ETA:  Once they tell Khan they know who he is, he starts hamming it up more, and the resemblance isn't quite so close.

I've never really thought of that before but... yes! 

As Gus might say to Hector...

"I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on... hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her. Marooned for all eternity, in the center of a dead planet... buried alive. Buried alive."

(Frantic bell-ringing!)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Took them a while but the Trekspertise review of Season One is Picard is excellent. More of a general analysis of the state of modern Trek (Abrams, DIS, PIC):

This is very good. Very good points about "end-of-the-world" stakes or about the contrived (/"inorganic") plot elements.

The second point is something I've seen in various franchises. I disagree with what the dude says though: designing the plot for specific moments is imho the fundamental problem and does not have to happen. You want to think of the story first and the "moments" second, if at all. In the past few years (decade?) I've seen many movies and shows very obviously design these "moments" before the plot, thus resulting in bad story-telling, contrived plot points, and plotholes. You get all those grand moments on screen that look cool but make no fucking sense because the writers struggled to write a coherent story connecting them to one another. Picard/Trek is hardly the worst offender. You know what I'm talking about.

13 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Was there ever any reunion/reconciliation with Picard and (Ensign) Ro?  If not , I'm hoping to see that in S2.

No, she hasn't appeared in Star Trek since the second to last episode of TNG where she defects. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

No, she hasn't appeared in Star Trek since the second to last episode of TNG where she defects. 

Behind the scenes, the producers really liked the Ro character as well. They tried to make her a main character twice. The first attempt was made with DS9, but Michelle Forbes wasn't interested, which is how the character Kira was created. They also wanted her on Voyager, but again Michelle Forbes had no interest and so B'Ellanna was created.

35 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Wasn't she originally supposed to be in DS9 instead of Kira?

Believe this to be correct, though I cannot remember why it didn't pan out that way...

Ro, in the non cannon novels, eventually succeeds Kira to become the Captain of DS9...

56 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Believe this to be correct, though I cannot remember why it didn't pan out that way...

Ro, in the non cannon novels, eventually succeeds Kira to become the Captain of DS9...

Michelle Forbes got some pretty good gigs off the back of TNG and decided she didn't want to be typecast, which considering how her career went later on seems to have paid off.

She'd probably be more amenable to return to the role now. Though they'd have to explain how she survived the dominion's slaughter of the maquis.

Just kidding I know they won't even give it a thought. 

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

The end of that episode is one of the scenes I remember most from STNG: that palpable feeling of betrayal as Picard sat silently in his chair...

3 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

The end of that episode is one of the scenes I remember most from STNG: that palpable feeling of betrayal as Picard sat silently in his chair...

Post-TNG Picard should have been a Maquis leader. principled as he was supposed to be.

Insurrection could have been more interesting, and then he could have appeared on DS9 as a villian. 

Bonus: they wouldn't have been able to make Nemesis. 

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Post-TNG Picard should have been a Maquis leader. principled as he was supposed to be.

Insurrection could have been more interesting, and then he could have appeared on DS9 as a villian. 

Bonus: they wouldn't have been able to make Nemesis. 

Every Star Trek movie after The Motion Picture is a tangential indulgence. You should be on bended knee thanking Tom Hardy for gracing such schlock.

10 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Every Star Trek movie after The Motion Picture is a tangential indulgence. You should be on bended knee thanking Tom Hardy for gracing such schlock.

Look Tom Hardy doesn't need a decent Star Trek film to get me on my knees, but fuck Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Say what you will about blowing a B-list British actor, at least he'll finish before I get bored. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Look Tom Hardy doesn't need a decent Star Trek film to get me on my knees, but fuck Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Say what you will about blowing a B-list British actor, at least he'll finish before I get bored. 

There are no words in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery.

Archived