Star Trek: The Wrath of Fans

Derfel Cadarn

I saw a theory that one of the characters in S3 Discovery will be (spoilering perhaps unnecessary)

Spoiler

The Dax symbiote. Apparently from the available info so far I haven't stayed on top of, there is a reasonable amount of prominence put on Trill for this season and Dax would be a known character that can bridge the huge time jump. I'm not sure if that would make people happy or piss them off though.

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

I saw a theory that one of the characters in S3 Discovery will be (spoilering perhaps unnecessary)

Hide contents

The Dax symbiote. Apparently from the available info so far I haven't stayed on top of, there is a reasonable amount of prominence put on Trill for this season and Dax would be a known character that can bridge the huge time jump. I'm not sure if that would make people happy or piss them off though.

Probably would just prove how cowardly Alex Kurtzman's team is, since they can't seem to make one season of Discovery without at least one memberberry character. First Sarek, then Pike and Spock and now this, lol

Welp. Season 7 of DS9 has definitely hit its rough patch. After a surprisingly good Nog/Vic Fontaine episode about PTSD, we got Ezri Dax's boring family soap opera, the worst alternate universe episode yet (and that's saying a lot), and some Ezri Dax murder mystery. Oof. You can tell the writers were really running out of steam. Every season of DS9 has these very bad episodes, but it's been a while since there's been three in a row.

On the plus side, I did get to the Vic scene which everyone was talking about a few pages back (in the alternate universe) and it was pretty funny. 

16 hours ago, Denvek said:

I actually liked the Ezri murder mystery episode, and how it uses the relationship with Joran to highlight how Ezri is different from Jadzia.

Same, that’s probably my favorite Ezri episode. I also liked the final Mirror Universe episode as well. Good Brunt was fun.

17 hours ago, Denvek said:

I actually liked the Ezri murder mystery episode, and how it uses the relationship with Joran to highlight how Ezri is different from Jadzia.

I liked it as well, even if it is one of those Star Trek episodes where there's a useful technology introduced that will be completely ignored for the rest of the show even though I'm sure a gun which can be used while out-of-sight of the target would be useful for the Dominion War.

Lower Decks is getting quite a bit more fun. Some of the references/fan service are such deep cuts that they're likely to be lost on any but those with the most comprehensive knowledge of TNG especially. And we get an appearance of Q, and not even as anything especially plot relevant. 

13 hours ago, Durckad said:

I don't know if this is a hot take or not, but the Mirror Universe episodes just get progressively worse and worse after the first one. The last two are just.... ugh.

Again, the only truly great Mirror episodes, besides the original...are the Enterprise ones.  To see the Mirror Universe and its origins with no interference from the Prime Universe was brilliant.  

DS9 had a couple fun episodes with it, but it went on too long...

Yeah, the Mirror Universe was very fun in its first episode, still all right with diminishing returns in its second, and then after just got really bad. Combining the mirror universe episode with the other worst kind of episode, the Grand Nagus Ferengi episode, was also just.... a bold choice. But at least hopefully this means we don't get another Grand Nagus episode?

You're all right that the Ezri murder mystery episode wasn't all that bad, especially compared ton the previous two. I think just coming after two really bad episodes that had a big Ezri focus, having a mediocre episode with a big Ezri focus wasn't a great palate cleanser. I do like her character overall and thought she worked well in most of the beginning of the season. Glad it's all up from here though!

22 hours ago, Durckad said:

I don't know if this is a hot take or not, but the Mirror Universe episodes just get progressively worse and worse after the first one. The last two are just.... ugh.

Andrew Robinson got the hump on with the Mirror Universe episodes and actually went to see the producers because he felt they were tonally very jarring. The Mirror Universe is supposed to be dark and disturbing and horrible and DS9 treated it like a "swashbuckling fun place," in Ira Behr's words. He did seem to later admit that maybe they used the Mirror Universe as a place to have knockabout larks rather than engaging fully with its darkness and maybe they did overuse it a tad.

Robinson's complaint was that he liked normal Garak because of the ambiguity and the subtext, but Mirror Garak had no subtext. He was just a dickhead and an idiot.

Morally Dubious Ezri was a lot of fun though.

I think Crossover is a great, great episode and succeeds in showing us the "dark" side of the Mirror Universe (not that it compares to, say, depictions of Occupation-era Terok Nor). But after that the MU becomes a comic book, eventually more Batman and Robin than The Dark Knight...

21 hours ago, Werthead said:

Andrew Robinson got the hump on with the Mirror Universe episodes and actually went to see the producers because he felt they were tonally very jarring. The Mirror Universe is supposed to be dark and disturbing and horrible and DS9 treated it like a "swashbuckling fun place," in Ira Behr's words. He did seem to later admit that maybe they used the Mirror Universe as a place to have knockabout larks rather than engaging fully with its darkness and maybe they did overuse it a tad.

Robinson's complaint was that he liked normal Garak because of the ambiguity and the subtext, but Mirror Garak had no subtext. He was just a dickhead and an idiot.

Morally Dubious Ezri was a lot of fun though.

This is probably my biggest complaint about Mirror Universe episodes. Mirror Universe Garak suuucks. Every Mirror Universe episode with him is a valuable Garak episode wasted, since he gets so few a season.

We need to start campaigning for a Garak show, or at least Garak in Picard season 2. I know Robinson loved the character and as I recall wrote a book about Garak.

Hell if Picard season two focuses on the Cardassians instead of the Romulans I'd be happy. So much to explore there with them rebuilding their home world / society after The Dominion War. 

Spoilers for the last stretch of DS9

I love Damar by the end of that show. The way he slowly comes to realize he was wrong about the occupation and "Cardassian Power" and kills his friend to protect Kira. Give me more of that. But also Garak is there.

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

We need to start campaigning for a Garak show, or at least Garak in Picard season 2. I know Robinson loved the character and as I recall wrote a book about Garak.

Hell if Picard season two focuses on the Cardassians instead of the Romulans I'd be happy. So much to explore there with them rebuilding their home world / society after The Dominion War. 

Spoilers for the last stretch of DS9

Reveal hidden contents

I love Damar by the end of that show. The way he slowly comes to realize he was wrong about the occupation and "Cardassian Power" and kills his friend to protect Kira. Give me more of that. But also Garak is there.

I’d be too worried that New Trek would ruin Garak. Aside from Pike, they don’t have the best track record for treating classic characters well.

Given that Picard's writer was forcibly prevented by Kurtzman from openly mentioning the Dominion War, which kind of fucked up the rationale given for some of the backstory and worldbuilding, I think the chances of any DS9 events or characters being directly referenced is close to zero.

DS9 is still regarded as the black sheep of the family, despite having far higher ratings than any show that's aired since and frequently being critically voted the best (and certainly most consistent) Trek show of them all.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

DS9 is still regarded as the black sheep of the family, despite having far higher ratings than any show that's aired since and frequently being critically voted the best (and certainly most consistent) Trek show of them all.

By whom?

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Given that Picard's writer was forcibly prevented by Kurtzman from openly mentioning the Dominion War, which kind of fucked up the rationale given for some of the backstory and worldbuilding, I think the chances of any DS9 events or characters being directly referenced is close to zero.

Kinda seems to point to the idea that all the wrong people are running Trek these days doesn't it...?

Archived