Star Trek: The Wrath of Fans

Derfel Cadarn

At this point, I'm just accepting the era of fun, creative and intelligently written sci-fi is dead. It really does feel like every Sci-Fi show these days wants to copy the BSG remakes formula of a dark and depressing future, in some way shape or form.

10 hours ago, sifth said:

At this point, I'm just accepting the era of fun, creative and intelligently written sci-fi is dead. It really does feel like every Sci-Fi show these days wants to copy the BSG remakes formula of a dark and depressing future, in some way shape or form.

There have been some sci-fi shows I've enjoyed in recent years but several of them have leaned in to that formula to some degree or other recently I must admit, and sadly my favourite of them (Dark Matter) was tragically cancelled. Honestly as a sci-fi fan I've really come to loathe the SyFy channel and the american network tv system in general because holy shit has it ever massacred so many shows.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:56 PM, karaddin said:

If they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for every idea they can get their hands on then I'm still amazed they haven't decided to do a "Star Trek: Keeping Up With the Cardassians" yet. They can have that idea for free.

I mean... I would watch that. 

A faux reality show depicting Garak and his new family navigating the complex terrain of the post-Dominion Cardassia rebuilding efforts. Garak has married into a celebrity family that are enjoying a surge in popularity as Cardassia emerges from centuries of authoritarianism and the youth embrace their new found freedom.

You can have special episodes where he's visited by people/friends from the Federation and are treated like a cross over episode even as they're dealing with high stakes negotiations.

Star Trek: Forever 

Following the crew of the USS Legacy along the Dominion frontier is tedious work for Space Content Creator Lukariaha Markis, and all he wants to do is play domjahk with the Klingons on B deck. Unfortunately when a sentient cloud of feathers attacks it'll be all hands to battle stations and this low rent holotuber is about to get a first hand look at the heroes of Starfleet in action.

Written, Directed, Produced, Created, Pitched, Approved, Marketed by Alex Kurtzman.

Starring Alex Kurtzman.

Cinematography by Alex Kurtzman.

Casting by Alex Kurtzman.

Run Into The Ground by Alex Kurtzman.

Funded by Republican tax cuts... to Alex Kurtzman.

Reviewed by Alex Kurtzman "It's there, I guess." !!!

Keygripped by Alex Kurtzman.

Catered by Alex Kurtzman.

Cursed for A Thousand Years by Alex Kurtzman.

Wished by Alex Kurtzman.

Dreamed by Alex Kurtzman.

Generalized by Alex Kurtzman.

Available on Alex Kurtzman.

Loved the Quark's as Cheers.

Two episodes to go of DS9! This final run of episodes has had some silliness, mainly with the Pa Wraiths stuff, but most of it has been fantastic, from Klingon politics to Bashir and O'Brien's Section 31 plotline. And above all else, everything involving Kira/Damar/Garak has been A+, some of the best scenes this show has ever done. I'm glad it's ending on a high note, though I have a feeling that when we get back to the Pa Wraiths and the Fire Caves things are going to get very cheesy.

I am a bit sad that Quark hasn't had much to do recently, but I saw that Armin Shimmerman was filming the Buffy Season 3 end of season at the same time, which explains it. I do see that the next episode focuses on Quark, though unfortunately, it also seems to involve the Grand Nagus. Let's see if the episode can beat the show's curse of every Grand Nagus episode being terrible...

Very nice finale for Lower decks. For a show that was a bit slow on pacing, the finale had a lot crammed into it. So much plot and character development in one episode makes one wonder just how far they want to go with this. There's some potential, given the time in which it is set, and the way they use references -and cameos- from the other shows, if they can manage to build a story. At any rate, the finale offered what I think is objectively its most thrilling moment;

Evasive maneuvers.

The last two episodes for DS9 went about as expected. Pretty much everything involving The Dominion War and Cardassia worked fantastically, though the resolution of the female changeling ending the war felt very rushed. The Ferengi stuff... not so great. There are some great Ferengi episodes, but the Grand Nagus has always been a pretty grating character for me, and the humour in his episodes is always so over the top wacky that it never works for me.

The Bajor, Prophets, and Pa Wraiths stuff... Really really really not great. I expected it to be cheesy and silly, but I didn't expect it to be quite so perfunctory and meaningless. Poor Mark Alaimo and Louise Fletcher did what they could, but there's only so many interesting ways you can deliver Saturday morning cartoon villain monologues. And the less said about the final confrontation, the better.

Spoiler box for BSG finale spoilers:

Spoiler

It's kind of hilarious that Ron Moore would make the exact same mistakes at the end of BSG when it came to the mystical stuff. Seasons of buildup and visions for... destroying a book vs. carrying a child from one room to another. At least the Federation didn't decide to give up all their technology suddenly and Damar didn't turn out to be an angel.

But it was overall a moving and satisfying finale, especially since so much of it is taken up by Dominion War stuff and character moments- I teared up several times, especially at Damar, Garak's final scene and the O'Brien/Bashir goodbye. It took me a long time, but I'm very glad I watched this show. Now to decide if I should do a greatest hits watch of TNG...

Archived