What would be your ideal Kingsguard ?

What would be your ideal King's Guard at the start of the books ? You can pick any seven known characters you want from Westeros and Essos, as long as they're alive at the time of the first book. Also, name one of the seven characters you picked as the captain of the Guard.

Brienne of Tarth - Lord Commander (Has the virtues of a true knight, and is a great character to boot)

Ser Barristan Selmy 

Prince Oberyn Martell (I would turn a blind eye to the celibacy clause for him)

Syrio Forel (For the sake of some tactical diversity against Westerosi fighters)

Ser Loras Tyrell

Dacey Mormont

Strong Belwas

Barristan Selmy: Lord Commander, the man, the myth, the legend.

Brynden "Blackfish" Tully: Excellent battle commander, years of experience 

Lyle Crakehall: Big, tough, and strong.

Harras "The Knight" Harlaw: A seriously underrated badass. Also IB knight a rare enough thing.

Daemon Sand: Trained by Oberyn nuff said. Also gives some hope for bastards across the realm.

Robar Royce: Skilled fighter from a good house.

Loras Tyrell: Young, beautiful, talented. Good PR.

All skilled knights from good families.

Brienne I would give command of the Gold Cloaks and let her whip that organization into shape.

Tough one, given that there's basically no restrictions on it but here goes:

Barristan Selmy- Lord Commander

Jaime Lannister

Garlan Tyrell

Loras Tyrell

Sandor Clegane

Oberyn Martell

Harras Harlaw

Honourable Mentions: Balon Swann, Mandon Moore, Gregor Clegane, Strong Belwas, Khal Drogo, Lyn Corbray, Brienne of Tarth, Areo Hotah, Waymar Royce (for pure guts if nothing else)

Barristan Selmy

Jaime Lannister

Sandor Clegane

Brynden Tully

Balon Swann

Areo Hotah

Greatjon Umber

I would happily import from the Broken Empire Snorri Ver Snagasson, Red Kent, Makin and Gorgoth to my Kingsguard if it was possible.

I would start my choices below with a condition: as the OP asked, this would be at the start of the books, but in addition to that, this selection would be made after Ned has been appointed as Hand so that Robert has a precursor to revamp his Kingsguards.

So, if I were Robert after returning from the North, I would get rid of the following:

1. Jaime Lannister - an excellent knight by all accounts, but I would like to keep Tywin under control, Jaime is his only heir to Casterly Rock (Tyrion no-no) so I would release him from kingsguards' constraints and send him back to the Westerland in full honor and recognition so this sending off is in now way a demotion or a disgrace, and also in the process would keep a distance between him and his sister

2. Boros Blount - too ugly to be on the team, and a coward to boot

3. Mandon Moore - may be a skilled warrior (second best in the team after Jaime ... according to Jaime) but can't trust him, plus doesn't play well with others

4. Meryn Trant - sly, cruel, off you go

5. Preston Greenfield - too short (kingsguard needs to have presence)

I would keep only the following as my revamped kingsguards:

1. Barristan Selmy - an honorable knight through and through, he stays on in the team as-is, and none more capable; actually, if it were not for pre-existing stipulation (i.e. start of books), I would probably demote him from commander role and place Brynden Tully instead, but this would be too much hassle for me to manage with too little to gain

2. Arys Oakheart - handsome, bold, faithful, fine knight

And I would add the following to complete the team:

3. Robar Royce - a skilled swordsman, he looks comely in a rough-hewn way, comes from a highly respected family in the Vale, and more importantly he's only second born so his inclusion will not step on Bronze Yohn's toes

4. Loras Tyrell - an excellent knight, even better than Robar, only the third born so won't inherit the Reach, this move will appease or even honor the Tyrells, and him being the most beautiful knight in the whole land will be very good PR for the kingsguards and the royal family, plus what kind of brother would I be if I couldn't make little brother happy

5. Sandor Clegane - in place of anybody representing the Westerland, I might as well anoint him as one the seven, he's already around my family anyway, loyal to my son, and one hell of a scary presence, though I will ask him to dress more appropriately according to standards

6. Areo Hotah - sure, I thought about asking Oberyn to be in the team, but his character seems unfit to be in such rigid - and reputable - environment, so instead I will ask Doran for this guy; as can be seen in later books, he's an incredible warrior, incredibly loyal to Doran and affectionate to Doran's family, and I would like to have some of that, too

7. Jory Cassell - if I could ask commander of the guards from the furthest south be in the team, then why not another one from the furthest north, Ned is coming anyway, this would be an honor to his family and to the North in general; I have a feeling that Jory may be the least refined swordsman in the group, but that's okay, he should be fine as a swordsman, and he'd be more mature than most, bring a certain calmness and calculation before actions, owing in no small part due to his previous role as commander and as part of traditionally Stark's guard family.

On 6/21/2020 at 8:44 AM, ivanro said:

... and send him back to the Westerland in full honor and recognition so this sending off is in now way a demotion or a disgrace, ...

Likewise there should be no disgrace in sending off a Kingsguard member for incapacity caused by severe injury or advancing age e.g. arthritis.

All Time best Kingsguard

Ser Duncan the Tall Lord commander

Aemon the Dragonknight

Ser Gerold Hightower the White Bull

Ser Barristan the Bold

Ser Ryam Redwyne

Lady/Ser Brienne of Tarth or young Jaime

...Ser Arthur Dayne Sword of the Morning 

and to those who've included Gregor clegane, Gerold dayne, Lyn corbray and the likes of them I say that the best swordsmanship does not make you the finest knight in the realm, chivalry, honor and loyalty does.

Archived