Character skill appreciation thread

Lady Dacey

So, quarantine. I (and everybody) have been baking bread, right? And I know my way around a kitchen, truly, but I had never seriously made bread before. Now? I’m elbow deep in sourdough every other day. And it got me thinking about Hot Pie, cause really, he knew immediately upon looking at that loaf what Sharna and Husband (or maybe it was Boy?) had done wrong. Too much kneading! That is some really expert knowledge, I tell you. Troubleshooting is hard. My bread is really nice but never perfect and it is a dour task to pinpoint exactly what should have been done differently. Getting a soft stretchy crumb and thin crust using stone-ground wholemeal flour (which I’m sure was all they had in Westeros circa 300 a.c.)? Wow. Just wow! I always liked Hot Pie, really, but I’ve found a new appreciation to his amazing baker’s skills.

What are some skills you find amazing, cute, funny, underappreciated, or simply likeable in the characters in A Song of Ice and Fire?  

This is harder than it seems... like making bread, perhaps? :D

I'm trying to think of minor characters' skill, so I will have to think a bit. I'm sure though that I will find something to nominate Nimble Dick for. Maybe his great sense of humour? 

“Ser Galladon was a champion of such valor that the Maiden herself lost her heart to him. She gave him an enchanted sword as a token of her love. The Just Maid, it was called. No common sword could check her, nor any shield withstand her kiss. Ser Galladon bore the Just Maid proudly, but only thrice did he unsheathe her. He would not use the Maid against a mortal man, for she was so potent as to make any fight unfair.”
Crabb thought that was hilarious. “The Perfect Knight? The Perfect Fool, he sounds like. What’s the point o’ having some magic sword if you don’t bloody well use it?”
“Honor,” she said. “The point is honor.”
That only made him laugh the louder. “Ser Clarence Crabb would have wiped his hairy arse with your Perfect Knight, m’lady. If they’d ever have met, there’d be one more bloody head sitting on the shelf at the Whispers, you ask me. ‘I should have used the magic sword,’ it’d be saying to all the other heads. ‘I should have used the bloody sword.’”

1 hour ago, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

Arya's sense of timing

A little lost here. The other skills you mention are very straightforward, but I don't get what "sense of timing" means. (maybe it's just language barrier, sorry if that's the case)

On 5/22/2020 at 11:33 PM, Lady Dacey said:

A little lost here. The other skills you mention are very straightforward, but I don't get what "sense of timing" means. (maybe it's just language barrier, sorry if that's the case)

Knowing when to take action.  I don't agree with a lot of her decisions but they got the job done.  The assassination of the old man is a good example.  Timing was key there as well as the execution of the sweetling.  She picks the right moment.  I am not judging the morality of it but the skill it took.

Archived