What are some popular theories in the fandom that you can't see happening?

What theories/story ideas are surprising you by the amount of attention they are getting? Theories that you think will never happen in the actual story.

1. Daenerys never makes it to Westeros.

2. Jon is N+A=J

3. Bran is  hooked to the weirwood net, and never leaves the cave.

4. Arya stays in Braavos.

5. The Others win/we never see the outcome.

Euron reached Cthulhu levels of power. It doesn't thematically fit with the narrative for Euron to be this powerful magician. The story constantly reminds us how dangerous magic is, like a sword with no hilt. It wouldn't make sense for him to reach the God level powers many people believe him capable of. My guess is that at the Battle of Blood his magic will go horribly bad, and most of the Ironborn fleet and almost all of the Redwyne one will be destroyed. It will be a Pyrrhic victory for Euron, with his magical capabilities completely eliminated.

18 hours ago, King Adrian Storm said:

1. Daenerys never makes it to Westeros.

That might happen at the end of Winds of Winter or the beginning of Dream of Spring.

5. The Others win/we never see the outcome.

The latter is actually what I expect. The rate at which the number of books required to complete the series goes up is higher than the rate at which books in the series get published. The severity of this problem could also mean Dany never makes it to Westeros, although in both cases this will not be GRRM's intent.

11 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Euron reached Cthulhu levels of power. It doesn't thematically fit with the narrative for Euron to be this powerful magician. The story constantly reminds us how dangerous magic is, like a sword with no hilt. It wouldn't make sense for him to reach the God level powers many people believe him capable of. My guess is that at the Battle of Blood his magic will go horribly bad, and most of the Ironborn fleet and almost all of the Redwyne one will be destroyed. It will be a Pyrrhic victory for Euron, with his magical capabilities completely eliminated.

Not sure what morons think about god-like powers there - but he certainly will have a lot of magical powers. George has implicitly confirmed this already since he has told us for years and years that magic is going to become ever more prominent and important as the story progresses (and at this point Euron is the main character in the books who is a powerful sorcerer at this point). And if you are not afraid of a few cuts or lost fingers (the Ironborn like their finger dances, don't they?) then a sword with no hilt won't give you any trouble. Euron has no issues sacrificing his own children and family, so he should reap the rewards that come with such sacrifices.

There is no point whatsoever narratively in building Euron up the way he was and then crippling his abilities and powers before he has wrought a lot of havoc and has challenged/hurt/killed some of the main characters. You don't build up a villain like that to ruin himself, either. He has a purpose in the story that's more important than just what's happened to the Arbor and the Redwynes (who are barely characters and locations in the books so far).

I really don’t think Stannis will become the new Night’s King. It would surely be too much of a twist even for GRRM. Or at the very least, I hope that isn’t what happens. Stannis becoming a villain cheapens his character completely. It would be more fitting if he died heroically, but doomed to be forgotten, never recognized for the good he did. 

Some fan theories that I just can't see:

1. JoJen paste - that Bran has been dining on Jojen Reed. Manflesh doesn't have the magical properties of the weirwood paste that Bran imbibed. (In my opinion. Not that I've ever tried it, beyond a hangnail or two.)

2. Sandor Clegane fights his zombie brother Gregor in Cersei's trial by the Septon. One, the time scale is wrong; he's nowhere near at 100% with his gimpy leg and all. Two, the Elder Bro is clearly protecting him and as a man who's renounced killing, not about to lend Sandor out as the Faith's killing machine.

3. SanSan.

Okay, I DO like King Adrian's "3", that Bran never leaves the cave. The last few times we've "seen" Bran, it's been through his influence  of the weirwood in Winterfell's godswood. I suspect that most of the rest of Bran's appearances will be this way.

10 minutes ago, zandru said:

Some fan theories that I just can't see:

1. JoJen paste - that Bran has been dining on Jojen Reed. Manflesh doesn't have the magical properties of the weirwood paste that Bran imbibed. (In my opinion. Not that I've ever tried it, beyond a hangnail or two.)

2. Sandor Clegane fights his zombie brother Gregor in Cersei's trial by the Septon. One, the time scale is wrong; he's nowhere near at 100% with his gimpy leg and all. Two, the Elder Bro is clearly protecting him and as a man who's renounced killing, not about to lend Sandor out as the Faith's killing machine.

3. SanSan.

Okay, I DO like King Adrian's "3", that Bran never leaves the cave. The last few times we've "seen" Bran, it's been through his influence  of the weirwood in Winterfell's godswood. I suspect that most of the rest of Bran's appearances will be this way.

Oof, I forgot about the Clegane brothers’ brawl. Sandor Clegane has gotten as happy of an ending as he can expect. You think that he -a wanted outlaw and oath breaker -would actually go back to King’s Landing and face execution just on the off chance that he MIGHT be able to volunteer himself as a royal trial by combat? 

17 minutes ago, Bowen 747 said:

Jon, King of Westeros.  He might become King of the North because he is the son of Mance Rayder but he is not going to end up on the iron throne. 

Okay, 4. Jon being the son of Mance Rayder. Unless, of course,

5. Mance Rayder is Rhaegar Targaryen. (which I also reject ;-)

3 hours ago, zandru said:

I agree wholeheartedly. :)

Thirdly and most importantly, seeking vengeance or even a simulacrum of justice through violence would be a character regression for Sandor. After all, the Gravedigger is likely Sandor Clegane, but as the Elder Brother said, The Hound is dead. He has moved on, and if his story arc is not yet complete, he will likely engage in acts of heroism and fulfill the duties of a true knight despite lacking knighthood; for Sansa has been a very positive influence on him, even as he tempered her original naïveté.

This is not the abomination; we have no need for the glorification of revenge, the careless heedlessness of characterization and use of random character flips, poorly implemented spectacle over substance, or the affirmation of nihilistic worldviews here.

13 hours ago, James Steller said:

It would be more fitting if he died heroically, but doomed to be forgotten, never recognized for the good he did.

That would be the case if GRRM commissioned a Stannis fan to finish the series for him.

Not a long time ago, a lot of Dany fans were wishing for the same ending for their beloved heroine. Some are still in denial.

1 hour ago, Mithras said:

That would be the case if GRRM commissioned a Stannis fan to finish the series for him.

Not a long time ago, a lot of Dany fans were wishing for the same ending for their beloved heroine. Some are still in denial.

That’s a tad unfair. I’m being realistic, i didn’t try to advocate for Stannis to be crowned king by the end of the series and has a long and successful reign. I’m not completely blinded by my bias, I know GRRM won’t give him a happy conclusion, so I’ll hope for a bittersweet one.

I can't see happening - Dany getting Iron Throne on her own, and becoming the sole ruler of 7K. People of Westeros won't accept her.

I think that she will become Queen of 7K, but it will happen thru her marriage with Jon. He is the son of Crown Prince, thus he is first in line for Targaryen crown. People of Westeros won't accept Dany as their Queen, based solely on her being a Targaryen. If there is a male Targaryen, and there is (Jon), then he is before Dany in line for Iron Throne. So, either he will die and after his death she will become the sole Targaryen, and that way will get IT, which seems unlikely to me. Or she will get IT thru marriage with the rightful King - Aegon VII Targaryen/Jon, which seems more likely, and similar to ending of The Lord of the Rings, which is one of GRRM's favourite books (he even planned to make the ending of ASOIAF bittersweet like the ending of LOTR).

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

I can't see happening - Dany getting Iron Throne on her own, and becoming the sole ruler of 7K. People of Westeros won't accept her.

I think that she will become Queen of 7K, but it will happen thru her marriage with Jon. He is the son of Crown Prince, thus he is first in line for Targaryen crown. People of Westeros won't accept Dany as their Queen, based solely on her being a Targaryen. If there is a male Targaryen, and there is (Jon), then he is before Dany in line for Iron Throne. So, either he will die and after his death she will become the sole Targaryen, and that way will get IT, which seems unlikely to me. Or she will get IT thru marriage with the rightful King - Aegon VII Targaryen/Jon, which seems more likely, and similar to ending of The Lord of the Rings, which is one of GRRM's favourite books (he even planned to make the ending of ASOIAF bittersweet like the ending of LOTR).

The people of Westeros are more likely to accept Daenerys over Jon.  A lord commander who betrayed the Night;s Watch and whose actions compromised its ability to defend the kingdom is not going to be popular.

2 hours ago, Megorova said:

Lmao you're so delusional. In Westeros people are secretly toasting Daenerys' name as rightful queen.

Howland Reed is the High Sparrow // Howland Reed is the Mad Mouse

I really hate the Jojen Paste. 

Anything that's ship-related with zero textual support. Actually, I straight up hate anything to do with ships because for some reason that becomes the focus over the story. People start screaming at each other that their couple is better and I just wanna poke my eyes out.

Varys / Illyrio are doing everything in the name of the Blackfyres.

Archived