What are some popular theories in the fandom that you can't see happening?

2 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

The people of Westeros are more likely to accept Daenerys over Jon.  A lord commander who betrayed the Night;s Watch and whose actions compromised its ability to defend the kingdom is not going to be popular.

He didn't betrayed Night's Watch. NW was created as an opposition to the Others, not as an opposition to wildlings. It's NT's duty to protect people, and wildlings are also people. So, letting them on this side of The Wall is not a treason. Furthermore, I think that the original oath of NW didn't included parts about not taking any crowns nor wife or not having children. Most likely, all that was added centuries later, after the Others disappeared, and functions of NW changed. The Wall became the place to which were exiled criminals and overthrown lords and kings (there were hundreds of small kingdoms in Westeros of that time). Thus the part about crowns and children was added based on political reasons, to prevent overthrown kings from returning, and to prevent their children from later claiming their fathers' crowns (if there will be no children, and if the kings will abdicate, then they will stop being a potential problem for whoever took over the power from them and sent them to NW).

If my assumptions are correct, then, even when Jon was going to go to Winterfell and to fight with Boltons, he didn't betrayed NW. Because currently Westeros is in a state of civil war. No one cares about what is going on at The Wall. NW is not a self-provided organisation. They get resourses, including food and materials to make weapons (such as metal ore) from their benefactors on this side of The Wall. Majority of those benefactors are lords of The North, because they are the closest to The Wall, and thus care the most about NW. Currently there is total chaos in The North, and NW's benefactors are either dead, or can't send any supplies for NW. Because of that the people of NW are going to starve to death, or won't have any weapons to fight against the Others, when they will arrive to The Wall with their Undead Army. If NW won't be able to oppose the Others, then all people of Westeros will die. To prevent that from happening something must be done. And because the main sourse of chaos, that is happening in The North, are Boltons, then, Jon leaving The Wall to fight them, is not a treason. It's the opposite - he did what he was supposed to do to prevent NW from dying, to prevent the Others from passing The Wall without meeting any opposition, to prevent the Others from killing people of 7K. He's the shield that guards the realms of men. That is the most important part of the oath. And thus, if to fulfill that oath he has to take a crown of the Wildling's King, and to leave The Wall and go and fight against Boltons, then it is his duty.

Thus, he is not a traitor. He's a saviour. While Dany is just a barbarian Queen, that came to their land not to save them, but because of her own selfish reasons - she wants to sit on Iron Throne, and to wear Targaryen crown. So, whom people will chose as their leader - a person who sacrificed himself for the greater good, or an egotist that thinks only about herself and how many thrones she will be able to take over? She already made happy people of Astapor, Yunkai and Meereen, 7K is next in her tour of conquest.

16 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Howland Reed is the High Sparrow // Howland Reed is the Mad Mouse

To be fair, this was speculation and spit-balling.  The question asked was whether Howland Read was already present in the story in a way that we didn't recognize and how he would be re-introduced in in the next book.  

Why do you hate it so much? 

What are some popular theories in the fandom that you can't see happening?

1. Arya will stop killing and become normal again.  I do not think Arya will ever become normal.  I do not think she can get away from what she has done, what she has become.  
  2. Jon Snow will become the king of Westeros.   He is not cut out for leadership as has been proven at the Nights Watch.  He is one of the worst possible choices.  That is, unless George Martin really wants to heap more misery and tragedy on what will be left of Westeros.  
  3. The Others will be permanently defeated and the wall will no longer be needed.
  4. Shiera is Quaithe.

19 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

The people of Westeros are more likely to accept Daenerys over Jon.  A lord commander who betrayed the Night;s Watch and whose actions compromised its ability to defend the kingdom is not going to be popular.

Agree.  Although the north might have their greasy heads so far up their asses that they accept him as the lord of Winterfell if they should ever become independent.  Robb's will carries no weight because he was a failed rebel but the people of the north might be swayed.

1 minute ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Let's put it this way. Hidden identities are exhausting. And everyone and their mother is hiding under another name to satisfy some speculation. It's not my cup of tea (and yes, I am 100% aware that I have a speculation about Septa Lemore being a dead woman).

LOL! That is true.  Septa Lemore is a dead woman? I've never seen that one.  Do tell, I'm open to fresh ideas. 

That the dire wolves are just some nice animals who are friendly and helpful to the Starks, that the Starks just happened to come across.

That the Faceless are just some paid assassins who passively sit around until someone hires them, and who just happened to cross paths with Arya.

That the Valonqar is one of Cersei's brothers rather than one of the brothers amongst Cersei's children. If the Valonqar is not one of Cersei's children, then that means that Maggy lied. And if you think Maggy lied, there is no reason to think that there is a Valonqar at all.

Gendry will be legitimized so that he can: become Lord of Storms End; or marry Arya; or become King of Westeros; etc., etc., etc. -  He is not only unacknowledged but entirely unknown.  And appearances and a note from Varys won't change that fact.  Not to mention, he has no accomplishments to his name to justify such a move.

Sansa is poisoning/will murder Sweetrobin.  -  Sansa has yet to deliberately harm anyone and I don't see her starting with Sweetrobin.  If anything, she is trying to help him.  There is nothing in her POV to suggest intent to harm.  As far as she knows, the sweet sleep is more helpful than harmful, although she is limiting its use.  I see no possibility of her murdering him for any reason.

The Pink Letter being written by anyone other than Ramsay.  -  I have doubts about its truthfulness; none about its authorship.  And I have yet to see a remotely convincing case for anyone else having written it.

6 hours ago, Nevets said:

Gendry will be legitimized so that he can: become Lord of Storms End; or marry Arya; or become King of Westeros; etc., etc., etc. -  He is not only unacknowledged but entirely unknown.  And appearances and a note from Varys won't change that fact.  Not to mention, he has no accomplishments to his name to justify such a move.

If any of Robert's bastards are getting legitimized, it's Edric Storm. But even Mya is more likely to get it than Gendry.

On 5/24/2020 at 3:59 PM, Megorova said:

He didn't betrayed Night's Watch. NW was created as an opposition to the Others, not as an opposition to wildlings. It's NT's duty to protect people, and wildlings are also people. So, letting them on this side of The Wall is not a treason. Furthermore, I think that the original oath of NW didn't included parts about not taking any crowns nor wife or not having children. Most likely, all that was added centuries later, after the Others disappeared, and functions of NW changed. The Wall became the place to which were exiled criminals and overthrown lords and kings (there were hundreds of small kingdoms in Westeros of that time). Thus the part about crowns and children was added based on political reasons, to prevent overthrown kings from returning, and to prevent their children from later claiming their fathers' crowns (if there will be no children, and if the kings will abdicate, then they will stop being a potential problem for whoever took over the power from them and sent them to NW).

If my assumptions are correct, then, even when Jon was going to go to Winterfell and to fight with Boltons, he didn't betrayed NW. Because currently Westeros is in a state of civil war. No one cares about what is going on at The Wall. NW is not a self-provided organisation. They get resourses, including food and materials to make weapons (such as metal ore) from their benefactors on this side of The Wall. Majority of those benefactors are lords of The North, because they are the closest to The Wall, and thus care the most about NW. Currently there is total chaos in The North, and NW's benefactors are either dead, or can't send any supplies for NW. Because of that the people of NW are going to starve to death, or won't have any weapons to fight against the Others, when they will arrive to The Wall with their Undead Army. If NW won't be able to oppose the Others, then all people of Westeros will die. To prevent that from happening something must be done. And because the main sourse of chaos, that is happening in The North, are Boltons, then, Jon leaving The Wall to fight them, is not a treason. It's the opposite - he did what he was supposed to do to prevent NW from dying, to prevent the Others from passing The Wall without meeting any opposition, to prevent the Others from killing people of 7K. He's the shield that guards the realms of men. That is the most important part of the oath. And thus, if to fulfill that oath he has to take a crown of the Wildling's King, and to leave The Wall and go and fight against Boltons, then it is his duty.

Thus, he is not a traitor. He's a saviour. While Dany is just a barbarian Queen, that came to their land not to save them, but because of her own selfish reasons - she wants to sit on Iron Throne, and to wear Targaryen crown. So, whom people will chose as their leader - a person who sacrificed himself for the greater good, or an egotist that thinks only about herself and how many thrones she will be able to take over? She already made happy people of Astapor, Yunkai and Meereen, 7K is next in her tour of conquest.

Jon did betray the Watch.  He was not supposed to interfere with the Boltons.  And to top it off, he allowed Mance Rayder to walk.  The man who not only betrayed the Watch but fought against his brothers.  His lie has been revealed.  

• Tyrion is a Targ
  • Dany is not a Targ
  • Jon is the *legitimate* son of Rhaegar and Lyanna (I do think R+L=J but I don't see a convincing way he could be legitimate – and please don't try to argue with me on that, I'm sure there are other threads where this has been discussed to death ;))

Popular Theory: Humans caused the Long Night.  

This is false.  The Long Night is a part of nature's cycle.  It must happen.  The land needs rest.  The story is man's struggle against the dying light.  

I don't think the Blackfyres will play as large of a role as some seem to think. They've only been barely mentioned in the main books which is what casual readers stick to and those few mentions haven't been memorable at all. Also, the Blackfyre story-line didn't exist as of AGOT meaning Varys and Illyrio had a motive(s) which stand independent of them.

Also don't buy the Jon-resurrection storyline. Beric was raised as a proxy for Ned which is why he was irrationally compelled to raise Catelyn. Jon would make 3/4 dead Starks to be resurrected literally or symbolically which is massive overkill. GRRM is also very good at hiding his cards as to where the books will go, yet he created a so-called massive cliffhanger where he all but screamed from the rooftop what would happen? Nah. Through parallels with Bran in AGOT, Jon's only injured and how he gets back on his feet is being hidden behind the resurrection red herring.

On 5/23/2020 at 4:37 PM, Prince Rhaego said:

R+L=J. I mean, I think Lyanna is Jon's real mother but Rhaegar is definitely not his father.

True.  And Jon will not inherit the iron throne even if Rhaegar was his father.  He is most unsuitable for the role.  Jon is also illegitimate.  Rhaegar was already married and did not have authority to divorce his wife.   If somebody should have the iron throne and rule Westeros, it should be Daenerys Targaryen. 

Archived