What are some popular theories in the fandom that you can't see happening?

6 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Oh it's the theory that I don't subscribe to.

I used to be a bit conflicted about it. On one hand, Sansa wouldn't want to stay in the south once she is free. On the other, the North respects bluntness and is less tolerant of LF type trickery. But then I realised the only reason the ideas didn't mesh well in my head was that I was assuming Sansa would end up this larger-than-life LF 2.0 QitN figure. It works just fine if she just grows up to be a regular highborn lady, like Catelyn, and not a master manipulator.

This isn't a specific theory but I dont think Harrenhal is some mystical place of power or in anyway magically significant, beyond maybe the tiny matter that all its lords do seem to die, which I actually think is just coincidence....its just some ruin that got burned by a dragon.

I dont think we will ever get s definite sighting of Tysha, though I admit the sailors wife is a great guess, I just don't think we will ever know for sure.

Stannis is toast. Frozen toast.

12 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

I used to be a bit conflicted about it. On one hand, Sansa wouldn't want to stay in the south once she is free. On the other, the North respects bluntness and is less tolerant of LF type trickery. But then I realised the only reason the ideas didn't mesh well in my head was that I was assuming Sansa would end up this larger-than-life LF 2.0 QitN figure. It works just fine if she just grows up to be a regular highborn lady, like Catelyn, and not a master manipulator.

Well see that's part of your problem right there. I think people's view of northern politics is wildly inaccurate.

Have you all not read A Dance with Dragons? There clearly is a lot of political jockeying, trickery and manipulation north of Moat Cailin. And it'll be doubly true if Rickard Stark's Southern Ambitions theory is confirmed to be true.

People seem to not understand that Ned was an exception to the rule. 

Sansa can be a highborn lady and a master manipulator too. You can walk and talk at the same time can't you?

8 hours ago, Back door hodor said:

This isn't a specific theory but I dont think Harrenhal is some mystical place of power or in anyway magically significant, beyond maybe the tiny matter that all its lords do seem to die, which I actually think is just coincidence....its just some ruin that got burned by a dragon.

Just coincidence?

I don't believe that that many lordly lines can be extinguished back after back after back.

I assume that major reason why ruling lords or ladies of HH has been so unlucky is that many of them were hand of the king or an ally of one like Mad Danelle. Or they were wiped out by hostile or paranoid kings. Naturally assuming that real reason for destruction of house Lothston was paranoia of king Maekar. 

Theories I don't subscribe:

Euron is a fool and will die soon.
Dany becoming queen.
Anyone becoming king or queen of Westeros. The bullshit restored after a big heroic battle against the Others. The 7K and the throne still there.
Tyrion is Aerys' bastard. But Cersei and Jaime are.
Bran not leaving the cave.
Aegon is a legitimate Targ.

On 6/12/2020 at 12:15 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Let me see if I understood you correctly... Are you really saying that R+L=J is something the abomination invented? If so, nope. It’s actually the other way about. The showrunners got to R+L=J by reading about it here. 

As @Nagini's Neville said, that’s not a theory, that’s a fact. :smug:

N + A= J

It is known. 

8 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Well see that's part of your problem right there. I think people's view of northern politics is wildly inaccurate.

Have you all not read A Dance with Dragons? There clearly is a lot of political jockeying, trickery and manipulation north of Moat Cailin. And it'll be doubly true if Rickard Stark's Southern Ambitions theory is confirmed to be true.

Sansa can be a highborn lady and a master manipulator too. You can walk and talk at the same time can't you?

But it's not just Ned. The North is full of people like the Greatjon and Maege Mormont; people who don't take kindly to being played. There are leagues between simply being shrewd and being a master manipulator.

12 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Just coincidence?

I don't believe that that many lordly lines can be extinguished back after back after back.

Not just coincidence, no, Harrenhal is definitely a "poison apple" of sorts,  but I really dont think there is anything supernatural to it.  It's simply too large a castle to be maintained by the lands and incomes that go with it. 

....and let's be honest, none of these fallen lords have exactly been Westeros' best and brightest, Bealish is by far the most capable man to be given the seat and he had the good sense not to go anywhere near 

What are some theories in the fandom that you can't see happening and do not want to happen?

1. Kingslayer finds redemption.  I cannot see this happening.  I do not want this to happen. 
  2. Jon become king of Westeros.  I cannot see this happening.  I do not want this to happen.  Jon would make for an awful king.  I want Dany to rule over Westeros. 
  3. Sansa lives.  I do not want this to happen. 
  4. Bran makes it out of that cave.  I want him to stay grafted to that tree.

3 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Kingslayer finds redemption.

Jaime or kingslaying in general?

Would agree with you for kingslaying and kinslaying in general. But this supposes a "god's will". Which I believe exists in ASoIaF.

But these kings, the Targaryens, Dany in particular (so far only Mance impresses me), are no king or queen. They are monsters, killing others to get what they want. Not chosen by gods and men. Gods are enjoying their death.

7 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

What are some theories in the fandom that you can't see happening and do not want to happen?

1. Kingslayer finds redemption.  I cannot see this happening.  I do not want this to happen. 
  2. Jon become king of Westeros.  I cannot see this happening.  I do not want this to happen.  Jon would make for an awful king.  I want Dany to rule over Westeros. 
  3. Sansa lives.  I do not want this to happen. 
  4. Bran makes it out of that cave.  I want him to stay grafted to that tree.

To me, Dany is the protagonist in the story.  I also want her ruling in the end of the books. 

On 6/14/2020 at 12:33 AM, Back door hodor said:

Not just coincidence, no, Harrenhal is definitely a "poison apple" of sorts,  but I really dont think there is anything supernatural to it.  It's simply too large a castle to be maintained by the lands and incomes that go with it. 

....and let's be honest, none of these fallen lords have exactly been Westeros' best and brightest, Bealish is by far the most capable man to be given the seat and he had the good sense not to go anywhere near 

Good points.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:03 PM, Hodor the Articulate said:

But it's not just Ned. The North is full of people like the Greatjon and Maege Mormont; people who don't take kindly to being played. There are leagues between simply being shrewd and being a master manipulator.

Maege is not an example many in the North would be eager to follow. Greatjon (and well, the entire Umber family) seems to be much more wildling than the rest of the northmen.

No one likes being played. It's not about whether or not you like being played, it's about whether there are games to be played, angles to play off of and pieces to play them with.

Even IF the North was full of people who are warrior-minded straight-shooters so, there clearly is a use for games of faces and games of thrones and other political maneuvering in the North. Howland Reed seems to have been sitting on his hands for quite a while even when it is pretty much guaranteed that Maege and Galbart are at Greywater Watch with Robb's will. Why? 

On 6/14/2020 at 5:37 AM, BalerionTheCat said:

Jaime or kingslaying in general?

Would agree with you for kingslaying and kinslaying in general. But this supposes a "god's will". Which I believe exists in ASoIaF.

But these kings, the Targaryens, Dany in particular (so far only Mance impresses me), are no king or queen. They are monsters, killing others to get what they want. Not chosen by gods and men. Gods are enjoying their death.

He means Jaime.

Why do you think kinslaying is a good thing? Is it right for someone to kill their children? And I can't believe that you find Mance impressive but Dany monstrous. LOL

15 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Why do you think kinslaying is a good thing? Is it right for someone to kill their children? And I can't believe that you find Mance impressive but Dany monstrous. LOL

It's the things "you can't see happening".

Kingslaying and kinslaying finding redemption, forgiveness. I don't see that happening. But kingslaying supposes a real king. IMO, someone who put his people before himself. Like Mance or Torrhen Stark who refused battle to save his people. Mance didn't have the choice. He came to Winterfell and saw what these men were. He had to fight to pass. All would die north of the Wall otherwise. Without Jon it would have been easy.

Dany pretends Westeros is her people. But she doesn't care how many will die in her conquest. Her birthright first. Fire and Blood like most Targaryens.

17 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

No one likes being played. It's not about whether or not you like being played, it's about whether there are games to be played, angles to play off of and pieces to play them with.

And there is a lack of that in the North or Ned wouldn't have been so overwhelmed in KL. What sort of games do you even imagine LF 2.0 playing in Winterfell?

4 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

It's the things "you can't see happening".

Kingslaying and kinslaying finding redemption, forgiveness. I don't see that happening. But kingslaying supposes a real king. IMO, someone who put his people before himself. Like Mance or Torrhen Stark who refused battle to save his people. Mance didn't have the choice. He came to Winterfell and saw what these men were. He had to fight to pass. All would die north of the Wall otherwise. Without Jon it would have been easy.

Dany pretends Westeros is her people. But she doesn't care how many will die in her conquest. Her birthright first. Fire and Blood like most Targaryens.

She does care.

Reread A Dance with Dragons

1 hour ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

And there is a lack of that in the North or Ned wouldn't have been so overwhelmed in KL. What sort of games do you even imagine LF 2.0 playing in Winterfell?

Firstly, I don't think Sansa will be a LF 2.0. She'll be Sansa full-grown.

Secondly, what sort of games to be played in Winterfell? Idk, Barbrey Dustin doesn't want Ned Stark buried in the crypts and she is well-positioned to make sure that would happen. You'd have to outmaneuver her in order to do so.

Another game would be ousting Stannis in favor of Jon or Rickon...especially if neither one of them were in Robb's will.

14 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Firstly, I don't think Sansa will be a LF 2.0. She'll be Sansa full-grown.

Which is what I said. I think she will be a highborn lady, not a master manipulator.

14 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Secondly, what sort of games to be played in Winterfell? Idk, Barbrey Dustin doesn't want Ned Stark buried in the crypts and she is well-positioned to make sure that would happen. You'd have to outmaneuver her in order to do so.

Doesn't sound like something Catelyn or Ned wouldn't be able to deal with. It's hardly the high stakes life-or-death games found in King's Landing, which is the atmosphere that fosters LF types.

36 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Another game would be ousting Stannis in favor of Jon or Rickon...especially if neither one of them were in Robb's will.

Stannis and Rickon look to be Manderly's game, and I doubt Stannis will even still be alive when Sansa re-emerges. Also, is in the context of war, where everybody is forced to get political. After everything settles, what use is there for a master manipulator in the North?

On 5/25/2020 at 6:32 AM, Texas Hold Em said:

What are some popular theories in the fandom that you can't see happening?

1. Arya will stop killing and become normal again.  I do not think Arya will ever become normal.  I do not think she can get away from what she has done, what she has become.  
  2. Jon Snow will become the king of Westeros.   He is not cut out for leadership as has been proven at the Nights Watch.  He is one of the worst possible choices.  That is, unless George Martin really wants to heap more misery and tragedy on what will be left of Westeros.  
  3. The Others will be permanently defeated and the wall will no longer be needed.
  4. Shiera is Quaithe.

I like your #3. None of the King Jon clues specifically hint at or require him to be King of Westeros. Considering his entire storyline has only ever been and felt like Winterfell/Stark/North/Ice, it is much more likely that Jon will be King of the North, King of Winter, King Beyond The Wall or a new Northern King title post Long Night 2.0.

Though I'm not convinced he will be King of anything. 

Archived